GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Need of buying Extended warranty 7yrs 160KM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009 | 01:49 PM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
Need of buying Extended warranty 7yrs 160KM

Im considering whether I have to buy extended warranty from my dealer or not when I receive a car.

Acutally, my wife is going to keep the car around 5~6 years.

Do I really need buying it? or waste of money ?

Really wondering....

Thank you guys.
Old 06-11-2009 | 02:46 PM

MB GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dreamka
Im considering whether I have to buy extended warranty from my dealer or not when I receive a car.

Acutally, my wife is going to keep the car around 5~6 years.

Do I really need buying it? or waste of money ?

Really wondering....

Thank you guys.
I am also buying a GLK for my wife and I am also thinking about the extended warranty from Mercedes Benz.

You can always buy it later, the only difference is that you will need to pay for the inspection before you can buy one.

The car already comes with 4 year warranty so you are paying $2800CDN for 3 years and 80K.

For me, there is no way my wife will be driving that much in 3 years so I will probably buy it later if the GLK gives me lots of problem during the first couple years.

By the way, your signature says W204. Which one do you have and are you going from W204 to X204? Or keeping it?

Last edited by e430; 06-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2009 | 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
5-6 years I'd say no. You'll know how reliable the GLK is by that time. Put the ext. warranty money in CD account, this will pay for fist major break down if it does happened.

A few things to note, GLK is not really a new car, everything came from C-Class, and MB has been improving their realibilty. There are also third party ext. warranties avaialble. In US insurance companies also offer extended warranty for 1/5th of the cost of MB ext. warranty.

However, if you are keeping car for the entire 7 year period or will privately sell it ext. warranty can come handy and add value to your car as it's transferable. Also keep in mind how it works, it's not as straight forward as you might think, esp. if you are high mileage driver. So you might pay for coverage you won't be getting.
Old 06-11-2009 | 04:37 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Ask the dealer a copy of the extended warranty contract. They ONLY cover the items that are expressively stated on the paper. Some unreliable stuff like electronics may even not covered. Also search the forums, there were in-depth discussions about how the 3yr/80k works. Its complicated and you usually get less than you think.

The inspection costs $400 if you decide to get ext warranty after delivery. Your $2800 can be invested and possibly make you more than $400 (14%) over the 4 years.

Last edited by yualfred; 06-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.