GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

VERY disappointed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
If you're gonna get a 328xi, why not consider a G37x instead? It's got a lot more power, handles well, and has an awesome exhaust note. While exterior looks is subjective, i find the bimmer looks better, especially with the new updated headlights.

Of course, since you're just looking for performance (which the 328 lacks...), nevermind the exterior or interior of the G37-- get it for its performance.

If you're still content with the bimmer, skip the 328 and get yourself a 335i instead.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM

GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
Hey Baby G.. we gotta give it back to all the haters... I wouldn't waste my time on a forum for the car / suv that I didnt like... but thats just me.. i have other things to do with my day.. haha
Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 AM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
my 2 cents...
from what I have read so far...
MB wants you almost feel that you're riding on the roads of heaven...
whereas with others who want to feel that they are driving like a race car or 'to replicate the fast breeze experience' then I am not sure why bother looking at the SUV or CUV as in the GLK in the 1st place?

MB does distinguish itself from other manufacturers. It is not like buying a double priced Toyota ---> Lexus, Honda ---> Acura, Nissan ---> Infiniti etc.

again, My 2 cents...
Originally Posted by Kyousuke
If you're gonna get a 328xi, why not consider a G37x instead? It's got a lot more power, handles well, and has an awesome exhaust note. While exterior looks is subjective, i find the bimmer looks better, especially with the new updated headlights.

Of course, since you're just looking for performance (which the 328 lacks...), nevermind the exterior or interior of the G37-- get it for its performance.

If you're still content with the bimmer, skip the 328 and get yourself a 335i instead.
Because *READ MY POSTS IN FIRST PAGE* ::

Originally Posted by reyoasian
I considered the GLK because the price is about the same and just wanted to give it a try; I love MB interiors also. I agree with you saying that MB hides the speed, doesn't feel it at all, but I guess that's what makes it a "luxury and comfort" vehicle.
I do know the difference, that's why I didn't consider MB to begin with, until I saw the GLK and the appearance attracted me. I didn't consider any other SUV either. Also, there's really not many AWD cars in this price range here in Canada. I first eliminated US cars, then SUV, then Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. Ended up with 328xi, G37x, A4 quattro, A3 quattro, IS250 AWD, C230 4MATIC. I test drove every single vehicle, and ended up with 328xi. The GLK was just a small phase and it ended.

Like I already said, I'm considering a car that have decent performance, good Canadian-winter handling, somewhat reliable, and affordable. 335xi is too pricey, and I don't trust it to be reliable at all.
Must I explain myself again? I never considered the MB or any SUV to begin with. I just wanted to give it a try because I saw it on the streets and it looked nice. It was a phase, and it ended.

G37x is fast, but the handling is far from that of BMW. Like I also said, I'm looking for a car that has DECENT performance, at least SOMEWHAT reliable (eliminates 335i and Infiniti in general), winter-safe, price affordable. I'd rather take the G35 over the G37 if it was still available as new, and I'd rather take 335i over both of them. But considering all my factors, I'd rather take 328xi over all.

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-09-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 AM

GLK-350
Because *READ MY POSTS IN FIRST PAGE* ::

Must I explain myself again? I never considered the MB or any SUV to begin with. I just wanted to give it a try because I saw it on the streets and it looked nice. It was a phase, and it ended.

G37x is fast, but the handling is far from that of BMW. Like I also said, I'm looking for a car that has DECENT performance, at least SOMEWHAT reliable (eliminates 335i and Infiniti in general), winter-safe, price affordable. I'd rather take the G35 over the G37 if it was still available as new, and I'd rather take 335i over both of them. But considering all my factors, I'd rather take 328xi over all.
get a mustang gt then. good performance, reliable, price affordable. every car is winter safe if your not an idiot.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
actually not sure why infiniti is elliminated, as it's def more reliable than bimmer and performs just as well. The only thing lacking is refinement, and it also feels cheap.

I think infiniti is def better choice than 328 if you are looking for sport, and now both coupe and sedan come with AWD.

Agreed with Manblack, with set of winter tires and decent driver any car is fine in winter. AWD won't make you conquer snow piles dues to low clearances.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63s
It's a SUV...........It's more comfort than my last SAAB aero. After I had the car, I feel slow but always over speeding. It's totally different styles. If you need a sports car, around $40k, go ahead to buy a EVO or STi.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:10 PM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
What's the pt of further discussing on this topic?? if he wants to buy the 328, go ahead then!!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by Manback
get a mustang gt then. good performance, reliable, price affordable. every car is winter safe if your not an idiot.
I've already stated no US cars. I'd never buy an American car ever.

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
actually not sure why infiniti is elliminated, as it's def more reliable than bimmer and performs just as well. The only thing lacking is refinement, and it also feels cheap.

I think infiniti is def better choice than 328 if you are looking for sport, and now both coupe and sedan come with AWD.

Agreed with Manblack, with set of winter tires and decent driver any car is fine in winter. AWD won't make you conquer snow piles dues to low clearances.
I test drove it. Other than being fast, it was garbage. It's turned so ugly too, I'd prefer the G35 so much more. Also, I'd rather spend a little more money and get a 335xi, if I were to conclude with the G37x.

Originally Posted by bing1221
It's a SUV...........It's more comfort than my last SAAB aero. After I had the car, I feel slow but always over speeding. It's totally different styles. If you need a sports car, around $40k, go ahead to buy a EVO or STi.
I know it's totally different style, I've stated that many times. I've already said I never considered a 2nd SUV to begin with, it was just the GLK that attracted me with its looks, but repelled me with its performance. However, I did open the doors of the demo expecting a little more from a small-sized SUV that is 270hp. My 240hp turbocharged RDX feel so much more fun.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 PM

ML
I'm pretty sure that if Infiniti is ranked higher than BMW on JD Power, it translates to that it's of higher quality and therefore more reliable.

And what problems are you referring to that the 335 has but not the 328?

Also, you said that if you were to buy a G37x, you'd rather spend a little more money to get a 335xi. Last time I checked, I don't recall $10,000 CDN to be "little".

But it is true that Infiniti has a cheaper interior than BMW's.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by Kyousuke
I'm pretty sure that if Infiniti is ranked higher than BMW on JD Power, it translates to that it's of higher quality and therefore more reliable.

And what problems are you referring to that the 335 has but not the 328?

Also, you said that if you were to buy a G37x, you'd rather spend a little more money to get a 335xi. Last time I checked, I don't recall $10,000 CDN to be "little".

But it is true that Infiniti has a cheaper interior than BMW's.
I just plain don't like the G37, horrible transformation from the G35 which looked so much better. Coming from the crappy Nissan, I really don't trust the Infiniti; just personal opinion. The FX is about the only Infiniti that I like.

The 335i has possible injection failures and overheating engine oil problems. All due to the twinturbos. The 328 has pretty much no major problems; just certain minor things along with the jerky transmission which apparently GLK has as well.

To me, that extra $10k is worth it to go from a G37 to a 335xi coupe. And I'm also looking to get a German car as well because my family has owned many Japanese cars in the past, and even one Hyundai. Now it's time for a change and German cars are the only choice left; don't say US cars because we will NEVER consider them.

-----

Personally, if it's not due to the fact that I've been driving an RDX for 2 years, I'd totally get the GLK; it's a great car. But I want a change, and a coupe or sedan would be nice for that change.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 PM

GLK-350
I just plain don't like the G37, horrible transformation from the G35 which looked so much better. Coming from the crappy Nissan, I really don't trust the Infiniti; just personal opinion. The FX is about the only Infiniti that I like.

The 335i has possible injection failures and overheating engine oil problems. All due to the twinturbos. The 328 has pretty much no major problems; just certain minor things along with the jerky transmission which apparently GLK has as well.

To me, that extra $10k is worth it to go from a G37 to a 335xi coupe. And I'm also looking to get a German car as well because my family has owned many Japanese cars in the past, and even one Hyundai. Now it's time for a change and German cars are the only choice left; don't say US cars because we will NEVER consider them.

-----

Personally, if it's not due to the fact that I've been driving an RDX for 2 years, I'd totally get the GLK; it's a great car. But I want a change, and a coupe or sedan would be nice for that change.
I think that after all of your putting down of every care eber brought up, you are right back at the GLK. Let me know what options you get. Go buy it and quit bitc hin
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM

GLK 350
Having owned a BMW and a Infiniti at the moment I can say bimmer are more fun to drive, but for perfomance aspects the 328 isn't in the same league as the G37. My buddy owns one, and trust me it has a good feel when you drive, but on way near the performance. Plus the bimmers have had more tranny issue (GM Tranny), and is less reliable as mentioned by JD Powers. The new G37 in my view is very similar on driving points to the G35, but has more power. I have had my G35 coupe, and have no major issues in almost 4 years. Only major issue was the power seat motor which had to be replaced. The bimmer did head back to the shop more ofter when my wife had it.

G37x S 328 HP @ 7000 rpm, 269 lb-ft Trq.

The new G37x S doesn't share the same tranny as the G35, the G35x came with a 6 speed tranny, while all new G37x S come with a 7 speed tranny. Electronically controlled 7-speed automatic with Driver Sport (DS) mode. Driver-adaptive learning algorithm senses driving style and adjusts automatic shifting accordingly. Manual shift mode offers sequentially selected manual gearshifts and Downshift Rev Matching.

At the end we have all read your love for the bimmer and you validation for what ever reasons you like. At the end of the day, we have all read your inputs, and I'd say no more wants any more explanation. Just go get your bimmer man

Last edited by Baby G; 07-09-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:07 PM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by Manback
I think that after all of your putting down of every care eber brought up, you are right back at the GLK. Let me know what options you get. Go buy it and quit bitc hin
I think that after reading everything I wrote, anyone would know that I'm going to get the 328xi and not the GLK. I'll reconsider it when I'm tired of small cars.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
maybe we can put this thread to rest then.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Exclamation CASE Closed!

Enough of Bimmer...this is supposed to be a GLK Forum?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM

GLK
... C230 4MATIC and the IS250 AWD ... BMW 328xi gave me more rush

Those are all cars, not SUVs, and without looking up exact numbers, I would guess those all weigh about 3,000 - 3,500 lbs, give or take a few hundred lbs.

The GLK is a mini-SUV or CUV, and I think I read it weighs about 4,050 - 4,200 depending on options, accessories, and if it is 4MATIC or RWD.

If the GLK weighs 25 - 35% more than the smaller cars, it would need 25 - 35% more power to bring the acceleration to parity. That assumes all other factors such as gearing, etc. are equal.

It is not a sports sedan, which is what the BMW, Lexus, and C-class are intended to be. Those are all nice cars, just not the same thing at all as a GLK.

Apples and oranges.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

GLK 350
Can some Mod close this thread... The topic has been beaten to death....
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Baby G
Can some Mod close this thread... The topic has been beaten to death....
or we can just stop posting here so it eventually dies down on its own.