GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

VERY disappointed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C35 OMG
VERY disappointed.

I finally got around to test drive the GLK350 today. Let me tell you, I was so so so so so disappointed. The ride was comfortable, the interior looks nice, the panoramic sunroof is nice, and the stereo was pretty good also. BUT, it felt nothing like 270hp (or 268 to be exact). I stepped the pedal down to the end many times on open roads, and I felt nothing. It felt no different than the C230 4MATIC and the IS250 AWD I test drove about 3 months back. I swear to God my 240hp turbocharged RDX feels faster, and even the 230hp BMW 328xi gave me more rush (I just tested this yesterday, so the feeling is still very familiar).

I told the sales rep about what I thought and he says "Exactly, that's Mercedes; that's how it's supposed to be", so I said to him "That's sad if ALL Mercedes are supposed to feel like this, then I'd feel sorry for those who waste their money on a SL63 AMG that possibly drives like an IS250".

I guess that concludes my final decision. BMW 328xi over MB GLK350. Sorry for you MB/GLK lovers, I'm not hating on this car or MB at all. I'm only 20 so performance > comfort. I'm sure that once I'm 40, I'd choose a comfortable luxury car over a fun sporty car anyday.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 PM

GLK 350
Best of luck with your new BMW. No hard feelings taken, its your personal choice. Post pics when you get the bimmer. When i test drove the car in Jan coming from a G Coupe it felt completely different. But its time for a change, since I'm 32, planning to have kids soon, and we need a larger car. I have had coupes since I bought my first one, so its been 15 years, time for a little change eh... Plus I hated my car this past winter with it being a rwd, don't mind taking the GLK out for those snow days.

Edit: One thing you can try is taking it out for another spin in a week or so, if you like. When I first drove the GLK, our feelings its alright. After taking 2 more test drive didn't mind the drive and signed the deal. Totally your choice, but congrats again if your 100% set on the bimmer.

Last edited by Baby G; 07-07-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'd say that MB's hide the speed. It's not that GLK is slower, it is faster on paper than RDX or 328, it just hides the speed very well. I drove friend's stick mazda 3 which felt faster and more fun (it was also stick), but then I looked at my speed and I wasn't going any faster than I did in GLK. Also, Members on S-class forum said, it feels like you are doing 50 when you are going over 100, so in that sense it is benz for you.

If you expected fun performance car, I don't know why even you considered SUV. I really wanted a bimmer with 300hp, but just don't have roads for it. If you have good roads and don't need to carry too many things, SUV is not fun car at all.

Just make sure bimmer dealer is not too far away as you might drive there more often than you think, although 328 seem much better than 335.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 PM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by Baby G
Best of luck with your new BMW. No hard feelings taken, its your personal choice. Post pics when you get the bimmer. When i test drove the car in Jan coming from a G Coupe it felt completely different. But its time for a change, since I'm 32, planning to have kids soon, and we need a larger car. I have had coupes since I bought my first one, so its been 15 years, time for a little change eh... Plus I hated my car this past winter with it being a rwd, don't mind taking the GLK out for those snow days.

Edit: One thing you can try is taking it out for another spin in a week or so, if you like. When I first drove the GLK, our feelings its alright. After taking 2 more test drive didn't mind the drive and signed the deal. Totally your choice, but congrats again if your 100% set on the bimmer.
I agree, if I were in your shoes then I'd rather choose the GLK as well. However, I've been driving the RDX for 2 years, and honestly this car was great; really fun even for an SUV. But I guess I want a change of feeling as well, take advantage of em coupes while I'm still young!

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I'd say that MB's hide the speed. It's not that GLK is slower, it is faster on paper than RDX or 328, it just hides the speed very well. I drove friend's stick mazda 3 which felt faster and more fun (it was also stick), but then I looked at my speed and I wasn't going any faster than I did in GLK. Also, Members on S-class forum said, it feels like you are doing 50 when you are going over 100, so in that sense it is benz for you.

If you expected fun performance car, I don't know why even you considered SUV. I really wanted a bimmer with 300hp, but just don't have roads for it. If you have good roads and don't need to carry too many things, SUV is not fun car at all.

Just make sure bimmer dealer is not too far away as you might drive there more often than you think, although 328 seem much better than 335.
Yeah, it wasn't a fun drive at all. I considered the GLK because the price is about the same and just wanted to give it a try; I love MB interiors also. I agree with you saying that MB hides the speed, doesn't feel it at all, but I guess that's what makes it a "luxury and comfort" vehicle.

I'd love to have the 335 too, but it's got too many problems, and pricey. The 328 doesn't have problems like the 335, but in the end it's still a German car; it's ought to have minor problems. I think the biggest issue is the jerky transmission when downshifting which some GLK owners are having trouble with as well.

So back to debating about the BMW 328xi; coupe or sedan? The coupe looks better but in reality, it's useless. I'm a student and need to carry things back and forth between school and home. I debated about this for the longest time and I think I just might go with the sedan. I'm only 20 so money is a big factor; too bad there's no FREE automatic transmission anymore.

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-07-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
No disrespect, but that is normal for the 350 series in the SUV's. If you tried a R500 that has 305HP, you would get a totally different feel.

My wife wanted a R350, but after the test drive and comparison the R500 won hands down. 350 was sloooww.

In regards to AMG's there is no comparison. Take the CLS500 305HP vs CLS55 469HP, the 55 hauls a$$ as expected. The 500 is great, plenty of power, I have one and love it don't get me wrong.

Just a thought on those comparisons...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by reyoasian
I guess that concludes my final decision. BMW 328xi over MB GLK350.
What a silly apples/oranges comparison.

Compare the C350 sedan to the BMW and you'll be making a credible comparison. Comparing an SUV to a sedan isn't.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 AM

2010 GLK350
I finally got around to test drive the GLK350 today. Let me tell you, I was so so so so so disappointed. The ride was comfortable, the interior looks nice, the panoramic sunroof is nice, and the stereo was pretty good also. BUT, it felt nothing like 270hp (or 268 to be exact). I stepped the pedal down to the end many times on open roads, and I felt nothing. It felt no different than the C230 4MATIC and the IS250 AWD I test drove about 3 months back. I swear to God my 240hp turbocharged RDX feels faster, and even the 230hp BMW 328xi gave me more rush (I just tested this yesterday, so the feeling is still very familiar).

I told the sales rep about what I thought and he says "Exactly, that's Mercedes; that's how it's supposed to be", so I said to him "That's sad if ALL Mercedes are supposed to feel like this, then I'd feel sorry for those who waste their money on a SL63 AMG that possibly drives like an IS250".

I guess that concludes my final decision. BMW 328xi over MB GLK350. Sorry for you MB/GLK lovers, I'm not hating on this car or MB at all. I'm only 20 so performance > comfort. I'm sure that once I'm 40, I'd choose a comfortable luxury car over a fun sporty car anyday.
Were u smart enough to take it out of comfort mode & put it in Sport mode?
Far as being 40 & only 20...don't blink because in 40 seconds you'll be 50!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by lkchris

Compare the C350 sedan to the BMW and you'll be making a credible comparison. Comparing an SUV to a sedan isn't.
I saw that as well. The comparison was not fair in any way...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Putting it into S would not make it a bimmer, unfortunately S=Normal not Sport on MB

If you are 20 and want performance why not get manual? That's one the best things that makes a car more of driver's car. Plus GM Auto tranny on 328 makes it pretty slow esp. with AWD compared to manual.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
ahhhh... to be young again. and i'm only 32. chicks dig the 3 pointed star rather than the blue and white propeller
Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by lkchris

I know it's not a fair comparison, but I've looked at all affordable AWD cars, and compared all of them, and I came down to these 2 as last choices.

Originally Posted by Barry626
Were u smart enough to take it out of comfort mode & put it in Sport mode?
Far as being 40 & only 20...don't blink because in 40 seconds you'll be 50!
Yeah I tried both mode. Tell you the truth, no difference. Felt the same bumps going over the same railway, felt the same so called "speed" stepping the pedal down to the end.

Originally Posted by bigben320e
I saw that as well. The comparison was not fair in any way...
Yeah, read above.

Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Putting it into S would not make it a bimmer, unfortunately S=Normal not Sport on MB

If you are 20 and want performance why not get manual? That's one the best things that makes a car more of driver's car. Plus GM Auto tranny on 328 makes it pretty slow esp. with AWD compared to manual.
I don't know how to drive manual =/ I really want to learn but don't got the time right now. Not only am I looking for a car with a bit of performance, but I need it to be winter reliable and affordable. In Canada, the GLK comes to 56k out the door by MSRP (Xenon and Premium), and apparently they don't give rebates or anything, at most 1-2k less.

Originally Posted by veerodder
ahhhh... to be young again. and i'm only 32. chicks dig the 3 pointed star rather than the blue and white propeller
Most chicks I know dig Audi or imports the most. They see MB as an oldman's car, unless it's like a SL63 AMG or something....

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-08-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM

2013 SL550, 2011 E550 Cab, 2013 E350 Sedan
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

Just kinda wanted to put this out there.... BMW states the 328i sedan with auto does 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, the GLK is rated at 6.5 seconds. As I've said in other posts, I have an SL550 which does 0-60 in about 5.3 seconds, if I compare that to my 3000gt, the 3000gt feels faster but only does 0-60 in about 5.8 seconds. I've raced since I started driving, and believe me, if you have a luxury car with speed, it's going to feel slower than a stripped down sports car, but you'll be happy in the end. You're not going to feel the G forces from any car that has a time over 5 seconds, so from that point the feel is all about suspension kick and DUH! the GLK has softer suspension than the BMW!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

C35 OMG
I never said it's slow, I just said it felt slow and not fun.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM

2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by veerodder
chicks dig the 3 pointed star rather than the blue and white propeller
Those are the chicks u want to stay away from!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
good luck with your bimmer!! You shouldnt bother telling us this!! lol and go start a new page on some other bmw's forum!!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 PM

528i, GLK
I never said it's slow, I just said it felt slow and not fun.
doh......

I'm surprised you do not know the primary difference between BMW and Mercedes. BMW don't call themselves the ultimate driving machine for nothing. Besides, if you are looking for something fun to drive, obviously any SUV shouldn't be on your list. There are plenty of AWD vehicles in this price range... or did you just limit yourself to BMW and MB?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM

GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
Lined up against a 750IL and 06 TL the other night.. got them both.... I second what bobhammer said... if u wanted a sporty car you should but the 335xi instead of the 328xi..
Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM

C35 OMG
Originally Posted by webada
doh......

I'm surprised you do not know the primary difference between BMW and Mercedes. BMW don't call themselves the ultimate driving machine for nothing. Besides, if you are looking for something fun to drive, obviously any SUV shouldn't be on your list. There are plenty of AWD vehicles in this price range... or did you just limit yourself to BMW and MB?
I do know the difference, that's why I didn't consider MB to begin with, until I saw the GLK and the appearance attracted me. I didn't consider any other SUV either. Also, there's really not many AWD cars in this price range here in Canada. I first eliminated US cars, then SUV, then Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. Ended up with 328xi, G37x, A4 quattro, A3 quattro, IS250 AWD, C230 4MATIC. I test drove every single vehicle, and ended up with 328xi. The GLK was just a small phase and it ended.

Originally Posted by fishsriz
Lined up against a 750IL and 06 TL the other night.. got them both.... I second what bobhammer said... if u wanted a sporty car you should but the 335xi instead of the 328xi..
Like I already said, I'm considering a car that have decent performance, good Canadian-winter handling, somewhat reliable, and affordable. 335xi is too pricey, and I don't trust it to be reliable at all.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM

GLK 350
Folks give him some slack, for his reasons he liked the car, and choose the BMW which he prefers after the test drive. No need to bash him for thinking of buying the GLK. His purchase, his choice... just my two cents...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 PM

2018 GLC300W, Selenite Grey Metallic
Hi,

This is just my opinion.
He can create a thread here but it just sticks out when you see a Thread called "VERY DISAPPOINTED" on the GLK Thread. It may be mis-interpreted by the readers in the wrong way. It should have been titled the right way with respect to the GLK owners.

What do you think would happen if we create the same thread titled "VERY DISAPOINTED" in the BMW forum ?

My $.2 as well. Courtesy and respect should be mutual.

Thanks,
Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by GreenArcher85
Hi,

This is just my opinion.
He can create a thread here but it just sticks out when you see a Thread called "VERY DISAPPOINTED" on the GLK Thread. It may be mis-interpreted by the readers in the wrong way. It should have been titled the right way with respect to the GLK owners.

What do you think would happen if we create the same thread titled "VERY DISAPOINTED" in the BMW forum ?

My $.2 as well. Courtesy and respect should be mutual.

Thanks,
I agree, the title was a little harsh, but he has tried to explain his position. Oh well. Your last line says it the best way: Courtesy and respect should be mutual.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

C35 OMG
The ride was comfortable, the interior looks nice, the panoramic sunroof is nice, and the stereo was pretty good also.

Sorry for you MB/GLK lovers, I'm not hating on this car or MB at all. I'm only 20 so performance > comfort. I'm sure that once I'm 40, I'd choose a comfortable luxury car over a fun sporty car anyday.
Did some of you missed out on these parts?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM

2010 GLK350
i know what you mean by hiding the speed. the glk feels absolutely disconnected to the road. i feel like i'm not going fast even when i mash the pedal, but one look at the speedo and the cars that are being left behind, i can confirm that i'm indeed going fast. honestly, i like that: attaining the speed without all the effort and noise usually associated with it.

...maybe i should try a lexus as my next car.

good luck with your bmw. if i didn't get a merc, i would get a bimmer too.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM

C35 OMG
Yeah, for now I'd prefer a little more fun. When I'm older I'd definitely choose a MB over anything else.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
my 2 cents...
from what I have read so far...
MB wants you almost feel that you're riding on the roads of heaven...
whereas with others who want to feel that they are driving like a race car or 'to replicate the fast breeze experience' then I am not sure why bother looking at the SUV or CUV as in the GLK in the 1st place?

MB does distinguish itself from other manufacturers. It is not like buying a double priced Toyota ---> Lexus, Honda ---> Acura, Nissan ---> Infiniti etc.

again, My 2 cents...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VERY disappointed.