Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Ed.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Rust proofing

Hi All,

Need some advice. I'm getting my new GLK 350 in the next week and wondering if it is worth getting it rust proofed from a local specialized garage?

I purchased this vehicle and planning to maintain it for quite some time. I live in Montreal, Canada where summers are short and winters are rough.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Never heard of this. Don't all cars already come with rust protection? And most cars have 10 year warranty (not sure about MB) in case you do have rust. I'd get clear bra before this "rust protection".
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 PM

GLK 350
Ed what did your dealer say?? I will try to contact my dealer and get you some update info..
Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Ed.

GLK 350
Thanks Guys. The reason for my concern is that I am a former BMW guy and even with a 10-yr warranty, spots of rust began surfacing on the body after only 3 yrs.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
When I picked mine up at the dealership, my dealer said that I didn't have to get any Rust protection package or under coating.

It has been already done on GLK so it will be OK for 10years.

I am not sure it is true or not but the dealer said like that.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Ed.

GLK 350
Thanks. I'll call my dealer and see what they say. Will let you know.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Just to add, back 5-10 years ago MB was one of the leaders in paint/body finishes. 10 year old MB's had no rust in very rough and salty russian climates, where there are more MB's than anywhere else.

I also did read that some people complained about paint quality of newer bimmers, not sure if the same applies to newer MBs as well, as everybody is trying to cut costs.

I really don't think any additional rust protection will make any difference. Rust will be there on scratches and not on well maintained surface with extra protection or not.

Lastly there were a few good articles about MB's latest paint application, just google.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM

GLK-350
Originally Posted by Ed.
Hi All,

Need some advice. I'm getting my new GLK 350 in the next week and wondering if it is worth getting it rust proofed from a local specialized garage?

I purchased this vehicle and planning to maintain it for quite some time. I live in Montreal, Canada where summers are short and winters are rough.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks
Forget the rust proofing, move
Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by Dreamka
When I picked mine up at the dealership, my dealer said that I didn't have to get any Rust protection package or under coating.

It has been already done on GLK so it will be OK for 10years.

I am not sure it is true or not but the dealer said like that.
+1 He stated no need for this as well...
Old 07-15-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
it's a waste of money. I remember when I used to live in Vancouver there was a pretty large franchise that does a lot of "rust proofing". Funny thing is I've seen what they do to some cars and more damage comes from it than protection
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM

GLK
I don't think this is needed any more. Maybe 30 years ago, but not today.

The old time procedure was for the shop to drill holes in all of the common area for rust to form, such as the rocker panels, and spray in a coating that would provent rust from forming inside and eventually eating its way through. They would also spray a tar-like coating in the wheel wells to keep small rocks and other road debris from pitting the wheel wells and letting rust start there.

Nowadays the factories do this. I worked (in IT) for GM for a few years early in my career, and got to go on (and eventually deliver) plant tours of all the plant areas. One was where the unibody chassis was assembled, and the entire thing dipped into an electrolytic phosphate dip. This got into all the nooks and crannies to protect against rust. That was 20+ years ago, and they have only gotten better/smarter about this in terms of the rust prevention.

Save your money and pass on this one.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Never heard of this. Don't all cars already come with rust protection? And most cars have 10 year warranty (not sure about MB) in case you do have rust. I'd get clear bra before this "rust protection".
I believe MBs only comes with a 4year/50k mile rust warranty, which is quite short IMO. Other car manufacturers (BMW, Audi, Volvo, etc) have a 12 year/unlimited mile warranty on rust/corrosion for a while now (exception of BMW that recently went to 12yr/unlim mi in 2006). I wish they did a better job of treating the panels for rust prevention on my both my parents' '01 S500 and '99 ML430. Both cars have rust bubbles along the bottom of all 4 doors, rear quarter panels and trunk. I've seen quite a few w220 S-Classes in the Boston area that have rust in these same spots as well. Mind you these are 10 years old or less. They also have a '97 A6 that sits outside 99% of the time and there is no rust at all.

I read that MB finally went with fully galvanizing the body panels in 2004, which does a better job of keeping rust away. However, other car manufacturers were fully galvanizing body panels way before that, not sure why MB resisted for so long. Galvanizing doesn't prevent rust but at least keep it at bay for as long as possible...certainly longer than pre-2004 model and the rust they're seeing for those living in the salt belt states.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
Are you referring to "undercoating" and "paint protection" or are you referring to a little electrical device that's supposed to repel rust at a molecular level?

Out of all that, undercoating may offer a quieter ride through increased insulation from road noise, otherwise, you're buying peace of mind more than anything else. Also, if it is paint protection and undercoat you're referring to, all the reputable companies that sell those products will offer a "lifetime warranty" that is, for as long as you own the car. If you do decide to go with it, make sure you get a certificate or papers stating so.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Ed.

GLK 350
Thank you all.

I found this detailed explanation (scroll mid-way thru the article) specific to the GLK350 that details the corrosion protection process. I think I will skip the treatment and spend the money on accessories.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...microsite.html

ED.