GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Default to C mode on starting??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:00 PM
phs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 SLK55AMG 18 C43AMG 19GLC63sAMG
Question Default to C mode on starting??

I just finished my first 1500Km of "break in" and started to drive in the "S" mode. The car is suppose to remember the last mode you drove in before you turn the engine off and lock in the SAME mode when you restart the engine. That's what's supposed to happen (like my C350 MY2008). However, I find that on starting the engine, it always default back to the "C" mode everytime, even when it was in the "S" mode I was driving in before. Any opinion, insight or solution?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
interesting, mine stays in "s" all the time?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 PM

2010 GLK350 4matic Blk w/Beige Artico/Wlnt. PP,SP,MMI,C-Nav,Xenon,AlumBoards+20's,Tow Hitch,
My thought is, thats a defect. I recall reading a different behavior than yours in the Drivers manual. Look it up and then ask them to correct it if you dont like.

That said, I'm interested to know if there is a noticable gas consumption savings when in C over S. Personally, I prefer to use S. But when I hit the highways maybe it's better to stop the car and flip to C first. Anyone got any feedback there.

Also, the drivers manual suggests stopping the car first and then flipping between C and S. Is this really damaging to an MB if not followed. Or if I slide into Neutral first and then flip, will that do any long term damage also? All comments are welcome.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
hmm mine stays in S too

I don't think there's meaningful difference in fuel consumption between S and C. If there is any noticeable difference it's prolly due to person driving harder in S.

Also should not make any difference on a highway. Once you are in the 7th gear it doesn't matter how fast it upshifts.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM

2013 SL550, 2011 E550 Cab, 2013 E350 Sedan
on my other MBs I switch between S and C without stopping and have never had a problem. It is possible that it takes the car actually stopping to take effect, not that it would cause an issue
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 AM
phs

Smile I got my answer

Got it from the horse's mouth, so to say. I have a friend working in the technical advisor department of MB Canada. He told me that my car was the 15th car manufactured after MB Canada has chosen to switch the default to C mode for fuel economy reason. That is, from now on, all GLK, at least in Canada, will be delivered with default to C mode everytime you restart your car. Sounds like a software change, which I believe can be "overrode" by MB servicing department, if you know people, that is.

BTW, I have been driving my C350 4matic over the last year changing between the S mode and the C mode on the fly without any problem. I am doing that in my GLK too. I think this is more of a safety issue rather than an engineering issue. Stand to be corrected until I get more info from the "horse's mouth" again.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
that sux, I hate when things default back to what car manufacturer thinks is better, thankfully this doesn't affect me but still.

It's like Audi with its "drive select", what’s the point of having it if you have to program it every time you drive, I'd never use it because of this.

On the upside C and S are not very different. GLK needs S+ for some spirited drives.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM

mercedes
FYI, I picked up my 2010 C300 4matic last Thursday and mine also defaults to Comfort mode when I start the car, even if I switch it to S.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
Originally Posted by phs
Got it from the horse's mouth, so to say. I have a friend working in the technical advisor department of MB Canada. He told me that my car was the 15th car manufactured after MB Canada has chosen to switch the default to C mode for fuel economy reason. That is, from now on, all GLK, at least in Canada, will be delivered with default to C mode everytime you restart your car. Sounds like a software change, which I believe can be "overrode" by MB servicing department, if you know people, that is.

BTW, I have been driving my C350 4matic over the last year changing between the S mode and the C mode on the fly without any problem. I am doing that in my GLK too. I think this is more of a safety issue rather than an engineering issue. Stand to be corrected until I get more info from the "horse's mouth" again.
Thanks for the info.

Mine is Canadian model and it "C" is factory setting when I restart an engine everytime.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding is this is a worldwide change going forward. The effort is to save fuel and it is supposed to be worth .3L/100km. Not sure what this means in mpg but this appears to be something which will be on nearly all MB models going forward.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
MFA

GLK350
I just got my GLK, have not tried the S mode, but looking at the owner manual it states that it will remember the last setting. If you manual says the same I suggest take it to the dealer to change. I assume it will simply be a software update.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM
phs

According to the source that I have, the initial batch of cars manufactured after the switch to default C mode still come with the old manual. The updated manual should be coming soon or may even be available in some later runs already. This again I can only speak for Canada.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by silberrosa
My understanding is this is a worldwide change going forward. The effort is to save fuel and it is supposed to be worth .3L/100km. Not sure what this means in mpg but this appears to be something which will be on nearly all MB models going forward.
Difference of about ½ mile per gallon.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 AM

2010 steel grey GLK with lighting pkg
I ordered mine at the end of april and received it on July 1st. Mine converts back to c mode as well when the engine is turned off. (US spec glk)
Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM

GLK
mind ordered in Apr, delivered to me at the end of Jun, it stays at S after restart. it's so much more fun and sporty to stay in the S. I got 12.7L/100 km during the break in period, and now i got about 13.1L/100 km in staying in S all time.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:08 AM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
There's no need to stop the car to change tranny modes. I've been doin it on the fly at all speeds on Bimmers and Benzes with no ill effect. All it does is run a different shift pattern, there's no mechanical change that takes place which requires the vehicle to be at a stop!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by ben-c
There's no need to stop the car to change tranny modes. I've been doin it on the fly at all speeds on Bimmers and Benzes with no ill effect. All it does is run a different shift pattern, there's no mechanical change that takes place which requires the vehicle to be at a stop!
That's what the M-B technician told me as well when we picked ours up at the Germany delivery location in Sindelfingen on Thursday. I asked why p. 99 of the Operator's Manual said the transmission needs to be Park before changing modes and he said it's to keep a noticeably hard shift from occurring if you change modes while while accelerating. He recommended just lifting off the accelerator for a couple seconds while changing modes and then continuing as normal.

I forgot to ask him if the Sport Mode also alters shock settings as well as the transmission shift points. And haven't gotten through the book yet to see what it says.

Lastly, he confirmed that a "silent" change has occurred in the Program Mode programming...US spec vehicles now revert to "C" mode when the vehicle is shut off and SmartKey removed. Edition B (see back cover) of the Operator's Manual will reflect this change. Some technical language in the way the forthcoming US corporate fuel economy averages will be computed and M-B wants the default mode to be "C" which will help increase their corporate fuel average a bit.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
phs

Official memo just came out from MB Canada that from now on the norm for all MB cars is defaulting to C mode on start up, period. Apparently this has created quite an uproar of protest from new MB owners, but then it has always been the general autocratic policy of MB anyway. I wonder if MB owners would have the solidarity to join force in petitioning for a change in this feature which should only be a software issue? Any opinion?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Is it that difficult to push a button if you'd like to drive a bit more aggressively? Why not just be happy that MB is trying to be a bit more responsible. I'd also have to say that you're in the minority with this complaint. I assure you that a huge percentage of MB owners could not care less which mode their cars are in, let alone be able to tell the difference.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by Jaydeath
Is it that difficult to push a button if you'd like to drive a bit more aggressively? Why not just be happy that MB is trying to be a bit more responsible. I'd also have to say that you're in the minority with this complaint. I assure you that a huge percentage of MB owners could not care less which mode their cars are in, let alone be able to tell the difference.
+1 I personally don't really care. If I want in S, its a click away. Come on folk get a grip eh... it takes less than a second to initate it in to S mode...
Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
phs

Originally Posted by Jaydeath
Wonder how you draw such a conclusion?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by phs
Wonder how you draw such a conclusion?
Well, not a single person in this thread of GLK enthusiasts has come on line as being adamantly opposed since I reported this "silent" or unannounced change (further up in the thread) to US-spec vehicles. And now you reference a Canadian document saying the same applies to your versions.

Consequently, I suspect Jaydeath's "minority" comment isn't far off the mark. People just want to be assured there's nothing 'wrong' with their vehicle. And as I further quoted a Sindelfingen delivery technician, edition B of the Operator's Manual will take care of that. Perhaps in conjunction with the "x" version supposedly cutting in when the Bremen plant returns from their yearly August block vacation period and production resumes?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
While I got somewhat lucky and mine doesn't default to C, I think it's annoying if it would default to mode I don't want to use. Why then bother having S mode and forcing ppl to use C. Would I care enough to take any further actions? nah I'd just drive in C.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM

I am able to draw that conclusion because as I've stated in other posts, I am family friends with the owners of one of the biggest MB dealers in the US. We are given a lot of inside information, and I know that nobody has yet complained to the service department about this new change. MB is not forcing you to drive in C mode! Press a button if you'd really like to drive in S, it's not so difficult. If anything take it from me, I'm a little speed demon who races my other cars, this is a GLK!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
It's not that it's hard to switch to C or that GLK even needs S mode. To me it would be annoying to have a driving setting that I have to set every time I drive. I would stop using S mode, so imo MB is forcing you to be in C mode.

I agree tho S mode doesn't make the car any sportier or faster, and on real roads you don't need to. CL550 had to pass me 3 times whenever there was a stretch of road, driving on public roads has its art and doesn't require anything much faster than a Civic, so GLK does just fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Default to C mode on starting??