GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Default to C mode on starting??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
It would be annoying if I had to stop and put it in park first in order to change form comfort to sport mode and vice versa rather than just shifting on the fly.

From the manual:

" : Program mode indicator
You should only change the program mode
when the automatic transmission is in park
position P
Automatic program mode S will not be stored.
When the engine is turned off with the
automatic program mode S selected, the
automatic transmission will go to the
automatic program mode C when the engine
is restarted.
X Press the program mode selector switch
repeatedly until the letter of the desired
program mode appears in the multifunction
display."

phs, ben-c and MB Owner have pointed out that it's possible to shift on the fly with MB Owner adding by just taking your foot off the accelerator.

Does MB must have some sort of override (like when you manual shift to a wrong gear for the speed you are driving at) to prevent any damage (if any) from changing modes on the fly?

Last edited by dlinjuly2009; 08-23-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:33 PM

GLK 4matic
Mine doen't default to C, the last mode is remembered....I brought mine (US) a month ago and I think it was manufactured a month prior to that...
Great posts.
Bp
Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 AM

2010 GLK350 4Matic Sport
I just took delivery last week, and after putting a few hundred km's on the clock decided it was enough breaking in for me. Anyways, so I decide to start driving in S and just realized how annoying it is to have to change the setting everytime!!!

I for one think the new default to C is ridiculous. S mode does make a huge difference, in forward and reverse. I don't understand those who say there's no appreciable difference, so no big deal. If nothing else, how can anyone not notice the difference between starting off in first vs second gear?!

People are just gonna think the car is weak. I'm surprised the sales reps haven't given MB an earfull over this, for having to explain to customers why they have to change the tranny setting everytime they go out for a test drive. And I'm sure not gonna say "don't forget to change the transmission mode" everytime someone else drives my car.

OK, just had to get that off my chest. There's a whole lot of reasons why this is a stupid idea, just like "skip shift" on GMs. But it was easy enough to overide on the Corvette. My Lexus used to lock out certain Nav options while the car was in D, and someone on the net figured out how to change the programming by gaining access to a hidden system menu that techs access for servicing. So, I'm just wondering if anyone's figured out how to crack the programming... yet? Or has anyone been able to get a dealer to reprogram the default? Or... has anyone found an aftermarket programmer that could change it through the OBD port?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Any answers?

Originally Posted by ben-c
I just took delivery last week, and after putting a few hundred km's on the clock decided it was enough breaking in for me. Anyways, so I decide to start driving in S and just realized how annoying it is to have to change the setting everytime!!!

I for one think the new default to C is ridiculous. S mode does make a huge difference, in forward and reverse. I don't understand those who say there's no appreciable difference, so no big deal. If nothing else, how can anyone not notice the difference between starting off in first vs second gear?!

People are just gonna think the car is weak. I'm surprised the sales reps haven't given MB an earfull over this, for having to explain to customers why they have to change the tranny setting everytime they go out for a test drive. And I'm sure not gonna say "don't forget to change the transmission mode" everytime someone else drives my car.

OK, just had to get that off my chest. There's a whole lot of reasons why this is a stupid idea, just like "skip shift" on GMs. But it was easy enough to overide on the Corvette. My Lexus used to lock out certain Nav options while the car was in D, and someone on the net figured out how to change the programming by gaining access to a hidden system menu that techs access for servicing. So, I'm just wondering if anyone's figured out how to crack the programming... yet? Or has anyone been able to get a dealer to reprogram the default? Or... has anyone found an aftermarket programmer that could change it through the OBD port?
Anyone figure out how to make the default "S" (sport) mode on transmission?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
No, but you can change your start-up procedure and hit the button after start..
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK 250, 2016 Volvo XC70, 2013 Jeep JK Sport
I personally think it’s ridiculous that S mode can’t be set as the default. Startup procedure? It’s a car not a friggin' fighter jet.
E mode is sluggish and doesn’t shift very smoothly. This is my first MB. I have to say for being engineered as well as they supposedly are, they make some bonehead decisions.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM

Smile

I guess I understand that MB decided to do this to claim the better gas mileage, but this still seems silly to require the driver to set it each time. I have to believe there is a TECH out there that knows the menu option, OBD programming sequence, or some other combination of actions to get this to just keep the last setting or default to S versus C? Please chime in and help us out!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
In order for a tech to know how to change it, there needs to actually be a way to change it. That requires two things:

1. A way to set the preference. This would be a menu option, programming sequence, etc.
2. A check for the preference during code execution. In other words, when the car starts up, it needs to know to look for a setting and then use that setting to set the transmission mode.

You are assuming that both of these exist when we have no real evidence that either one does.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Just an observation, but this vehicle isn't that type that invites 'sporty' driving, if for no other reason than its higher center of gravity and weight. Considering that the M-B customer base is a more 'mature' one, this shouldn't be a big thing for the majority of owners. To provide such an option for this type vehicle truly makes little sense. In the E350 BlueTec, this option is there but that car also provided options for a 'sport' suspension and invites sportier driving. I don't see a need nor a big demand for it, and even for an old 'hot rodder' like me, I wouldn't use it if I had it!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 PM

2010 SLK300, 2014 GLK350
It is interesting how MB changes things from time to time. I owned a 2006 SLK put it in S mode. That car would remember the setting for the next time which was great. In 2010 I replaced the SLK with a new one. The 2010 SLK does not remember the S mode and it took a while before pressing the button each time on start-up became routine.

On our new GLK, the E mode is fine and my wife prefers this as well. One strange thing with the S mode is that it won't shift past 5 gear unless I use the paddle shifters - even at highway cruising speeds. Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
The E class has a switch on the console. It can me turned to either E or S and left that way if you want. I never found the need to use the S and I drive it pretty hard on occasion. But it's still neither a drag racer nor a sports car. A good M-B electrical technician could very likely be able to wire such switch in the GLK, but why?
Old 05-24-2021, 11:19 AM

2018 GLA 250 MERCEDES
My husband said my GLA 250 would start in "s" and with eco start/stop, but now it won't. Now it starts in "c" mode. Anyone know why?