GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MB-TEX(Artico leather) Care ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
MB-TEX(Artico leather) Care ???

Today was really sunny day here in Ottawa, CANADA.
So we went out with our GLK to Park.

Before going out, my wife put some body suncream to protect UV.

After seating on GLK, there were some stain on artico leather and I tried to remove them with a wet paper/cloth but it didn't work.

Still stained on the surface of artico leather.

Is there any way to remove them? and How to care Artico leather?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 PM

2007 SL550
I've tried many leather cleaners and the best so far has been LEXOL. I would first try cleaning it with distilled water and a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser (seriously) I have used this combo on an Audi R3 which I believe also has the Artico Leather and it worked fine. The Artico should be fine as I believe its a man made leather
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM

GLK 350
Thanks, I was gonna ask the same question, since had leather in all my other cars.... Will give it a shot...
Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
I read somewhere that saddle soap works well to remove new blue jean dye from the almond MB-Tex seats. Wonder if it would also work for an oil-based suntan lotion? Still, I'd sure try on a hidden area first to ensure it doesn't darken the seat color after drying!

Also, supposedly the M-B interior care products are made by Meguiar's (and rebadged for M-B). Presumably a lot cheaper from Wal-Mart or one of the other mass retailers.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I had another similar problem with deoderant marks when wearing sleeveless t-shirts and going in reverse. Some soap and water will do it, it's MB-Tex, same thing as plastic, so you can use anything you use to clean the rest of the interior.

Just used Ice by Turtle Wax this weekend and liked it much better than stupid wipes.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

2007 SL550
NO DO NOT USE SADDLE SOAP saddle soap is a very poor cleaner. It must first dissolve its own oils, limiting its capacity to dissolve dirt and oils in the leather. Saddle soap is also inherently alkaline but alkalinity is damaging to leather. Another problem arises during application. Most saddle soaps instruct the user to work the lather into the leather. Since loosened dirt is suspended in the lather, it is pushed back into the leather's pores. I would use only a product in the pH 5 to 5.5 range. That's actually a mildly acidic solution. Most multi-purpose cleaners and spot removers have a pH of 12 to 13. If you spray a multi-purpose, high pH cleaner on leather and buff with a dry cloth, the cloth will often turn brown. The consumer will believe it's dirt coming out of the hide. It's not dirt, it's tanning agents. You are actually detanning the hide! Remember, whatever chemical solution you put on leather remains in it. If this Artisan leather is the same as Corinthian leather dont waster your money on ANY leather cleaner as it has a top veneer of vinyl. This should be considered a vinyl interior and treated with a vinyl dressing. Do not use a leather conditioner on vinyl topped leather. The conditioning oils can not penetrate the vinyl coating to reach the leather

Last edited by 1QWKJEEP; 08-04-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I think we are talking about MB-Tex not real leather, but good info.

OP confirm

Last edited by NYCGLK; 08-04-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Artico leather = MB Tex?

It's fairly robust plastic and there are plenty of products to clean it and protect it. Check the Detailing Forum.

Originally Posted by Dreamka
Today was really sunny day here in Ottawa, CANADA.
So we went out with our GLK to Park.

Before going out, my wife put some body suncream to protect UV.

After seating on GLK, there were some stain on artico leather and I tried to remove them with a wet paper/cloth but it didn't work.

Still stained on the surface of artico leather.

Is there any way to remove them? and How to care Artico leather?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by NYCGLK

OP confirm

Ahh still learning all the new types of seat coverings and what they are made out of I do detailing/paint corrections on the side at home when I have time
Old 08-05-2009, 04:45 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Yea, I wouldn't use it on "real" leather either... especially after reading 1QWKJEEP's post!

I've used Pecard with no problems on my Porsches but the leather in this new GLK is thicker/stiffer and has more texture so I'm wondering what I should use on it. Does Pecard's pass muster, 1QWKJEEP, since you apparently have some knowledge of leather care? I probably should spend some time on the detailing forum to see what those folks say.

Pecard's product literature:

"A neutral colored blended paste that keeps leather supple, strong and beautiful. Cleans, conditions, preserves and weatherproofs all smooth oil-tanned leathers. Allows the leather to breathe. Buffs to a soft shine. How to apply: First clean the leather article by wiping it down with a sponge and clean water. You don't need a cleaner unless there is obvious discolorations in the leather. We recommend using a pH neutral cleaner. While the leather is still damp use a soft lint-free cloth, apply a small amount of dressing to the leather. Use a circular motion to work the dressing into the fibers. Continue to do this to all the leather parts of the article. There should only be a sheen on the surface of the leather after working the dressing in. Buff vigorously all areas with a clean cloth to melt the surface waxes to a nice shine."
Old 08-05-2009, 07:41 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Good points - perhaps the best being to know if you are dealing with a coated leather or not. Some of the leather vendors also make leather care products - such as Connolley Brothers.

Originally Posted by 1QWKJEEP
NO DO NOT USE SADDLE SOAP saddle soap is a very poor cleaner. It must first dissolve its own oils, limiting its capacity to dissolve dirt and oils in the leather. Saddle soap is also inherently alkaline but alkalinity is damaging to leather. Another problem arises during application. Most saddle soaps instruct the user to work the lather into the leather. Since loosened dirt is suspended in the lather, it is pushed back into the leather's pores. I would use only a product in the pH 5 to 5.5 range. That's actually a mildly acidic solution. Most multi-purpose cleaners and spot removers have a pH of 12 to 13. If you spray a multi-purpose, high pH cleaner on leather and buff with a dry cloth, the cloth will often turn brown. The consumer will believe it's dirt coming out of the hide. It's not dirt, it's tanning agents. You are actually detanning the hide! Remember, whatever chemical solution you put on leather remains in it. If this Artisan leather is the same as Corinthian leather dont waster your money on ANY leather cleaner as it has a top veneer of vinyl. This should be considered a vinyl interior and treated with a vinyl dressing. Do not use a leather conditioner on vinyl topped leather. The conditioning oils can not penetrate the vinyl coating to reach the leather
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 AM

08 ML350; 07' Acura RDX; 05'FX45; 03'Murano
Folks, MB-Tex (Artico leather in Canada versions) is NOT real leather. It's vinyl-over-textile. On my ML, I just used a mild detergent dissolved in water and a clean rag to remove almost everything, every 2 months, to keep my interior seats clean and neat.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
MB-Tex =/= MB-Leather
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM

GLK
Back seat ruined GLK (fake leather)

Hi,
I have a fake leather seat. The ones that we get in Canada. Last weekend we left the mosquito repellent on the seat on a very hot day and yesterday i discovered that the seat cover had blisters. The plastic had melted and, well the seat is ruined.
It is just in a very small section, but...
Do you know where can I get it repaired? Where can I buy a new cover?

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by yomeroyomero
Hi,
I have a fake leather seat. The ones that we get in Canada. Last weekend we left the mosquito repellent on the seat on a very hot day and yesterday i discovered that the seat cover had blisters. The plastic had melted and, well the seat is ruined.
It is just in a very small section, but...
Do you know where can I get it repaired? Where can I buy a new cover?

Thanks,
So sorry, I know that must hurt. The best place to find leather/vinyl repair shops is to contact your local fine furniture store and ask for a repair man. Tell them exactly what happened. Some of these guys do work miracles.

Otherwise you will need to go back to the dealer and have them order you a very expen$ive cover and have them in$tall it!

Good luck
Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 AM

GLK
Apple Autoglass

Thanks MBRedux. I went to the dealer and they recommended Apple autoglass. The back seat is now with them they said it should be around $200 CDN. I will pick it up today I hope they do a good job.
I'll let you know.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Do not use magic erasers on the seats. You will remove the dye color if you wipe it too much. A auto seat repair guy showed me to use a deluted CLR/ degreaser and to use a medium brush to properly clean the nook and cranny of the seat then you apply your conditioner afterwards.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please try to get a handle that MB-Tex is not leather - and with MB-Tex you don't want to do any/either of three things: no conditioner/shione. no protectorant, no abrasive.

"cheapest" - is Awesome concentrated all-purpose cleaner/spot-remover from any Dollar Store or whatever - but not full strength - mix 50/50 with water - spray one section at a time with spray bottle, you can use a non-scratch (blue) 3M dishwashing sponge/pad to work it in if you want, spray, lightly scub, sponge of, spray again/sponge until clean.

Most of this has been confusing..
Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Dremka; when you say "Today was really sunny day here in Ottawa, CANADA.
So we went out with our GLK to Park." does that mean like Submarine Race Watching?
Back in the day we did this at night, so why the sun screen?
See what you started by going in the daytime. 17 posts and maybe 2 or 3 arguments.
Next time do this kind of activity at night, I know its cold up there at night, and avoid generating this kind of trouble.