GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Corvette guy really likes the GLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2009 | 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Corvette guy really likes the GLK

My roommate from the (Air Force) academy and his wife are vacationing in Germany for two weeks so we loaned them the GLK. Now this is a long-time Corvette owner...a new one every three years. Flies to Bowling Green, KY to pick them up and makes a vacation out of it since he has relatives throughout the Midwest.

Anyway, I was mildly surprised to hear the praise he has heaped on the GLK...responsiveness, handling, looks, front legroom, interior...the complete package. He really likes it!

And now the rest of my story. Fast car enthusiasts, they wanted to see the Nürburgring (and museum) which is less than 45 minutes from where I live in the Eifel region. Since my wife and I drive our cars there several times/year, we didn't need any arm twisting to accompany them.

As luck would have it, this past weekend was an open public weekend so our friends could actually drive the course. How's that for getting the full experience of the place?

Choices were to take the GLK (four people would fit OK) but not terribly exciting driving an SUV around The Ring. Or take both our Porsches with two in each but then we couldn't all be together for the day. Or see if our local M-B dealer had a four-seat demonstrator available for the weekend...something with a few more ponies under the hood than the GLK.

Pay dirt!

They reserved a C63 for us. Proof of insurance, my Nürburgring driver's card and a promise to refill the tank with gas before we returned it Monday.

Needless to say, our friends had an absolute blast with both of them taking a lap. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics at Nürburg...totally forgot my camera since it's kind of old hat to us. But I did take a few of the car which I'll post below.

The first blow to my well-laid plans...they loaned us a 2010 with only 556 km on the clock. A brand spanking new engine. The time hadn't even been set correctly when I snapped this one. No fast laps for us this weekend

Warning decal in the upper left of the windshield. We (mostly) heeded the guidance.

Back home after a night on the town and a few more kilometers. Combination of town and autobahn driving yielded 13 mpg and we babied it in deference to the low mileage.

Late evening shot of our weekend ride.

At the house Monday morning before we returned the C63. Not about to trade either Porsche for one but it's a fun car with an intoxicating exhaust note for someone who needs room for more than two.