GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Nav Package v. dealer installed UMI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Nav Package v. dealer installed UMI

I'm wondering if anyone's got a view on which is better or perhaps better stated, what are the advantages and disadvantages to one option over the other.

I've got the dealer-installed UMI and I think it's a better solution (for me) for a few reasons, specifically the ability to stream media (music) through bluetooth without physically connecting the device. I've got a 3GS iPhone and so does my wife and when she wants to listen to different tunes or a podcast or audio book on a longer trip she can do so with her smartphone without even taking it out of her purse.
A second advantage that I see with the UMI is that it allows you to change destinations, add stopovers, etc., without stopping the vehicle (without using voice commands).
Finally, there's the traffic updates. The UMI version offers real-time traffic information that can be used to plot a trip, something that I don't think comes with the factory installed Nav package (I could be wrong).

I think the choice between one and the other is a personal preference, and that for someone else the Nav package may be better, so I'm interested to hear what others who've got one or experienced both have to say about the benefit/ trade off of one solution over the other.

A downside to the UMI that I should mention is that you pay the installation fees which add another 400 to the price. I think you could buy another iPod for that kind of money. But if money's not the (only) issue . . .
Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 PM

2010 GLK
I chose the UMI as well. For me the most important difference between it and the Nav. package was the ability to see my ipod on the center console, not in the dashboard only. Now if I have someone in the car, they can actually see what song is playing...
Old 10-17-2009, 01:23 PM

2010 GLK 350
Guys - Since both of you have chosen to go with the UMI, how do you find the quality of the image, since you have a smaller (5") screen than with the Nav Package, which come with a 7" high def. screen?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
I think the main advantage of UMI is that you get traffic info, but it's not free?

I chose navi mainly for having the ability to control my ipod from the steering wheel. I didn't want to fiddle with my ipod while driving and leaving it in the glove box keeps it out of prying eyes.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM

GLK 350
Miric, I've got no problem with the screen size, although I can see the advantage of a 7" screen. I don't know what difference hi definition is going to make on a screen that size.

dlinjuly2009, I get traffic info (in the Toronto area) and it is free. It shows up as text messages and as caution signs on the map. When you see a caution sign on the map you know there's a message, even if it's a road that's not on your route or if you've not set a destination.

I've asked the MB sales person where the data comes from and she was unable to tell me. Actually she didn't know much of anything about the UMI.

You can control your iPod through the steering wheel with the UMI, there's an iPod connection in the glove box that allows you to control it that way if you choose. But you can also have multiple devices connected to stream by bluetooth, and with the iPhone's cover flow interface, it's easier to browse through a few hundred albums that way (on the iPhone)--particularly if the person in the back seat wants a crack at picking an album.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by camper88
Miric, I've got no problem with the screen size, although I can see the advantage of a 7" screen. I don't know what difference hi definition is going to make on a screen that size.

dlinjuly2009, I get traffic info (in the Toronto area) and it is free. It shows up as text messages and as caution signs on the map. When you see a caution sign on the map you know there's a message, even if it's a road that's not on your route or if you've not set a destination.

I've asked the MB sales person where the data comes from and she was unable to tell me. Actually she didn't know much of anything about the UMI.

You can control your iPod through the steering wheel with the UMI, there's an iPod connection in the glove box that allows you to control it that way if you choose. But you can also have multiple devices connected to stream by bluetooth, and with the iPhone's cover flow interface, it's easier to browse through a few hundred albums that way (on the iPhone)--particularly if the person in the back seat wants a crack at picking an album.
So free traffic and still have ipod control via steering wheel eh?
I'm also curious to know what the navi has over the umi aside from a larger screen.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by meghanwww
I chose the UMI as well. For me the most important difference between it and the Nav. package was the ability to see my ipod on the center console, not in the dashboard only. Now if I have someone in the car, they can actually see what song is playing...
Meghanwww, so with your umi you can see what song is playing on the 5 inch screen? And, you can also control your ipod from the steering wheel controls? By control I mean be able to select songs and not just control the volume. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:22 PM

2010 GLK 350
How much did you guys pay for the UMI. I'm looking at giving that to my wife for Christmas.

Last edited by Miric; 10-17-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:26 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by Miric
How mush did you guys pay for the UMI. I'm looking at giving that to my wife for Christmas.
$1,895 plus installation ($400). This may be a deal (on the installation charge) which I got when I purchased the car.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
So free traffic and still have ipod control via steering wheel eh?
I'm also curious to know what the navi has over the umi aside from a larger screen.
Does the nav not play dvds? The UMI doesn't. This may be an advantage if you've got little passengers in the back seat jacked into headphones and their own screens of Madagascar 2.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Does the nav not play dvds? The UMI doesn't. This may be an advantage if you've got little passengers in the back seat jacked into headphones and their own screens of Madagascar 2.
The COMAND screen with the Multimedia Package will play DVDs when parked. I really would go with the Multimedia Package plus Media Interface which will allow you to control and see songs on the COMAND screen. The feedback I have heard about UMI is that the interface is slow and difficult to use.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM

$1,895 plus installation ($400). This may be a deal (on the installation charge) which I got when I purchased the car.
Compared to navi (1,800cdn) and media interface (375cdn).
Old 10-17-2009, 05:16 PM

GLK 350
Compared to navi (1,800cdn) and media interface (375cdn).

I think the real difference is the dealer installed part or the factory installed part, where you're not paying for installation if you get it from the factory.

There is a media interface with the UMI (hence the name, universal media interface), as you have an iPod connector, a usb connector, and the aux and power in the glove box. With the usb, you can connect a mass storage device (flash drive or hard drive) with mp3 files on it.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by pmb600
The COMAND screen with the Multimedia Package will play DVDs when parked. I really would go with the Multimedia Package plus Media Interface which will allow you to control and see songs on the COMAND screen. The feedback I have heard about UMI is that the interface is slow and difficult to use.
Is the interface slow with the UMI because it doesn't use a hard disk like the one in a navi?

Last edited by dlinjuly2009; 10-17-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Seraph post

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...uestion-2.html

With UMI and media interface

The bad:
It appears that while you can control an ipod from the steering wheel, the control is "limited".
You don't have a pcmia slot - probably don't need one anyway
Smaller 5 inch screen
No dvd playback

The good:
Live lifetime free traffic
Bluetooth access to all audio gadgets
$ 280 cdn cheaper (1,895 versus 1,800+375), at factory

Can't wait for a software upgrade to my navi. Maybe I'll get traffic and blue tooth capability as well?
How does UMI's 3D GPS map navigation compare?

Last edited by dlinjuly2009; 10-17-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 PM

2010 GLK
Meghanwww, so with your umi you can see what song is playing on the 5 inch screen? And, you can also control your ipod from the steering wheel controls? By control I mean be able to select songs and not just control the volume. Thanks!

Yup! I just picked up my car this afternoon and I am sooo glad I went with the UMI. I see the song title, artist and album on the center console. I can also scroll through all of my playlists or shuffle using the large control button near the gearshift. I can change songs using the steering wheel controls.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by meghanwww
Yup! I just picked up my car this afternoon and I am sooo glad I went with the UMI. I see the song title, artist and album on the center console. I can also scroll through all of my playlists or shuffle using the large control button near the gearshift. I can change songs using the steering wheel controls.
Congrats! Seems like you're able to use your ipod without any limits.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I think if the option you choose works for you then your did good. I use a FM transmitter for my Iphone 3GS, its no fun locking it in the dash and the ability to stream internet content over the audio is good. The 5" screen is still bigger than my Iphone screen. I am hoping that they come up with an extension cable for that Mutimedia 5" cables I paid so much for.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM

2010 GLK 350
I'm wondering if there is any dealer install 7-inch screen upgrade available for the GLK?

Last edited by Miric; 10-19-2009 at 09:47 AM.