GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Whining / buzzing noise when driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4matic and my favorite Vintage 1982 PK Ripper Looptail
Whining / buzzing noise when driving

I notice a low whining / buzzing noise only when I step on the gas pedal. I can't tell where it is coming from, my only guess maybe the stock stereo is not grounded properly. Anyone else notice whining noises.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Is the noise coming from the car itself.. say under the car? Or from the radio speakers? Please specify.... get someone to help you... they can listen for it as you drive.

Or if the noise happens and you are in "N" and not moving, have someone look around the car with their ear trying to detect where it is coming from.

Last edited by MBRedux; 10-24-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:04 PM

I just picked up the GLK last week and have been busy working since driving it once. My wife said the whining noise occurs when the radio is on when stepping on the gas pedal. No gas pedal, no noise. When she listens to CD, there is no noise. I'll have to talk to the dealership regarding this. I still think the radio may not be hooked up properly. The noise is just irritating.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM

I drove the GLK the past few days and the whining is there whether the stereo is on or not. The dealer said it is the "normal" noise of the engine. I have owned many cars in the past including 3 x BMWs (none of the cars had this whining noise) and the GLK is my 1st Mercedes. Can other GLK onwers confirm this whining noise ? Please drive the car without any stereo and see if you can hear it. It is noticable when starting from stop. I slowly step on the gas pedal, as the car starts to go, I can hear engine going and this is when the whining noise start. It is there, but not loud, but it is annoying. I have to turn up the stereo a little to mask it. If it is regular engine noise, I guess I have to get use to it.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Can you describe the noise a little more? Is it a high pitch whinning like that of a small engine? Without the radio on, I obviously hear the engine revs but in no way would I descibe the noise as a whine...

I would say that if you don't think it sounds like something normal then it's probably worth taking it in to get looked at...
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM

I can hear the engine rev. The best way to describe it is: it sounds like when someone did a bad installation job on the stereo system and did not ground it properly. The annoying high pitch whine when I step on the gas pedal, it does not do it when car idles or if I am coasting along w/o pressing on gas pedal. As soon as I accelerate, I can hear it. Not loud, but loud enough to be annoying. I'll have to talk to MB again.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by GLKster
I'll have to talk to MB again.

Yeah... I would. You should have the mechanic hop in for a short ride so you can point out the noise to make sure he hears what your hearing.

Nothing worse than a mechanic "fixing" something and charging you for it just to end up bringing it in again cause what they "fixed" wasn't the problem you had brought it in for...

I guess with the warranty you wouldn't be charged but the back and forth still sucks...

Last edited by JT01; 10-28-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I can hear the engine rev. The best way to describe it is: it sounds like when someone did a bad installation job on the stereo system and did not ground it properly. The annoying high pitch whine when I step on the gas pedal, it does not do it when car idles or if I am coasting along w/o pressing on gas pedal. As soon as I accelerate, I can hear it. Not loud, but loud enough to be annoying. I'll have to talk to MB again.
In the old days, this type of "ignition noise" was suppressed by installing noise suppression spark-plug wires... nowadays it's in the radio... have this new car inspected by the dealer... the radio may be defective.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:22 PM

An email I received today from the dealership regarding the whine noise.

"the whine noise - best to have customer in at his convenience and test drive
with eric, i suspect he could be hearing a whine from the idle pulley,
which we have had a few, fixed with updated pulley."

Have to make another appointment with dealer.......will update when done.
If anyone else heard a whine, idle pulley might need updating
GLK built date: Sept 2009
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI Estate
Whining / buzzing noise

I have a 2006 C220 cdi with a buzzing/whinning noise when accelerating.
Happens around 2500 revs (when stationary or driving), but does not do it all the time.
Makes no difference if the radio is on or off.
Took it to the garage but they could not isolate where it is coming from.

To think about it I would say it is more of a buzzing/vibration noise. The garage said they would need to take the dash out to investigate this further, but this would cost a lot of money. Noise seems to come from the dash area or maybe travelling in from under the bonnet. Any ideas what this noise is or where it is coming from would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by SIE01; 11-05-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is so simple to dx it's killing me. Radio noises are not idler pulley noises. Idler pulley noises sound like a squeal or metallic hissing sound as the bearing starts to wear out. Radio whining noises (which increases as the engine is revved-up) are usually caused by electrical ignition static charges grounding itself directly to the car thus affecting the radio receiver. (Which these days with digital ignition systems happens VERY rarely.)

One simple way to see if it is the radio and NOT the pulley is to SIMPLY TURN OFF THE RADIO when the noise is heard. If the radio noise goes away, then it's the radio/electrical/ignition suppression system and that should be checked out by your dealer service team. But if it doesn’t go away, then it's something else and not the car's electrical system coming over the radio.

Now for the real simple part... start the engine, open the hood and listen for where the noise is coming from.... if it’s coming from the front of the engine, it could be an idler pulley… power steering pump etc… if it’s coming from below the car, it may be normal since GLK’s have an electrical fuel pump and pressure regulator that can at times make a very high pitch whining sound.

Good luck
Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
whining noise

I notice a low whining / buzzing noise only when I step on the gas pedal. I can't tell where it is coming from, my only guess maybe the stock stereo is not grounded properly. Anyone else notice whining noises.
See this article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1753506/

Could it be the pump?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
This was my problem with the wind noise... Not sure if it is relevant to you since it appears that your noise occurs all the time.

UPDATED - head tech found the problem. The seal in the heater box needed to be replaced. So they put a new seal in the heater box (I guess heats the air that comes into the heating system???) and noise is gone so if anyone else is having this wind noise problem, ask the dealership to check on this seal. Part had to be ordered and car should be good tomorrow.

Information from service report:
CONFIRM CUST COMPLAINT, FOUND WHISTLING NOISE FROM CAR AT HIGHWAY
SPEEDS, PERFORM EXTENSIVE TEST DRIVE, APPLIED TAPE TO ELIMINATE NOISE
FROM WINDOWS OR SUNROOF, R/R WIPER COWLING, FOUND NOISE WOULD GO AWAY
WHEN TAPE WAS APPLIED OVER AIR INTAKE FOR OUTSIDE ON HEATER BOX, R/R
GLOVE BOX, FOUND NOISE COMING FROM SEAM ON HEATER BOX, SEAM WAS
CAUSING WHISTLING NOISE WHEN OUTSIDE AIR WOULD ENTER BOX AT HIGHWAY
SPEEDS, DRAIN COOLANT, EVAC AR/C SYSTEM, R/R DASH AND DASH SUPPORT,

R/R AND A/C HEATER BOX, USED BUTTLECORD TO SEAL A/C BOX, REINSTALL A/C
BOX, RECHARGE A/C SYSTEM, CORRECT COOLANT LEVEL, RETEST DROVE AFTER
REPAIR, FOUND WHISTLE WAS ELIMINATED, CLEAR CODES, ALL O.K NOW.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gsrjc
This was my problem with the wind noise... Not sure if it is relevant to you since it appears that your noise occurs all the time.

UPDATED - head tech found the problem. The seal in the heater box needed to be replaced. So they put a new seal in the heater box (I guess heats the air that comes into the heating system???) and noise is gone so if anyone else is having this wind noise problem, ask the dealership to check on this seal. Part had to be ordered and car should be good tomorrow.

Information from service report:
CONFIRM CUST COMPLAINT, FOUND WHISTLING NOISE FROM CAR AT HIGHWAY
SPEEDS, PERFORM EXTENSIVE TEST DRIVE, APPLIED TAPE TO ELIMINATE NOISE
FROM WINDOWS OR SUNROOF, R/R WIPER COWLING, FOUND NOISE WOULD GO AWAY
WHEN TAPE WAS APPLIED OVER AIR INTAKE FOR OUTSIDE ON HEATER BOX, R/R
GLOVE BOX, FOUND NOISE COMING FROM SEAM ON HEATER BOX, SEAM WAS
CAUSING WHISTLING NOISE WHEN OUTSIDE AIR WOULD ENTER BOX AT HIGHWAY
SPEEDS, DRAIN COOLANT, EVAC AR/C SYSTEM, R/R DASH AND DASH SUPPORT,

R/R AND A/C HEATER BOX, USED BUTTLECORD TO SEAL A/C BOX, REINSTALL A/C
BOX, RECHARGE A/C SYSTEM, CORRECT COOLANT LEVEL, RETEST DROVE AFTER
REPAIR, FOUND WHISTLE WAS ELIMINATED, CLEAR CODES, ALL O.K NOW.

This is very interesting indeed! It appears there's a MB Service Team that really got to the root of this common issue. There are many here who should read this! Is there any way you can take a pix or pdf file a copy of your service report (black out any private information) and post it here so others who have this problem can take a copy to their lazy service reps?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBRedux
This is very interesting indeed! It appears there's a MB Service Team that really got to the root of this common issue. There are many here who should read this! Is there any way you can take a pix or pdf file a copy of your service report (black out any private information) and post it here so others who have this problem can take a copy to their lazy service reps?

Thanks!
Yeah, I'll look for my invoice and scan it in if I still have it. What I cut and pasted was from the electronic invoice that MB gave me.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

An email I received today from the dealership regarding the whine noise.

"the whine noise - best to have customer in at his convenience and test drive
with eric, i suspect he could be hearing a whine from the idle pulley,
which we have had a few, fixed with updated pulley."

Have to make another appointment with dealer.......will update when done.
If anyone else heard a whine, idle pulley might need updating
GLK built date: Sept 2009
Well guess what....???? We now have the whining noise as well! My wife said she startind hearing it about 6 months ago.... ... but she said she "forgot to tell me about it!"

It's a low whine when cruising between 55-65mph +-, but let off the accelerator and wham... the whine gets louder with the pitch lessening as the car starts to slow down. Hit the accelerator and the whine pitch goes up! It sounds like a faulty automatic tranny torque converter... but a faulty idler could also be the issue. (Hopefully the latter)

GLKster.... so was it a faulty idler pulley or something else?

I will investigate...
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Well guess what....???? We now have the whining noise as well! My wife said she startind hearing it about 6 months ago.... ... but she said she "forgot to tell me about it!"

It's a low whine when cruising between 55-65mph +-, but let off the accelerator and wham... the whine gets louder with the pitch lessening as the car starts to slow down. Hit the accelerator and the whine pitch goes up! It sounds like a faulty automatic tranny torque converter... but a faulty idler could also be the issue. (Hopefully the latter)

GLKster.... so was it a faulty idler pulley or something else?

I will investigate...
]

I would bet this is the problem that I had before.. Check out what I posted from the service documentation regarding the seal around the heater box.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:02 PM

GLK350 4 matic
I had a similar noise in my 2010 GLK which turned out to be from the blower motor for the A/C. It was a whine which would only become noticeable when accelerating. The mechanic listened with a stethoscope and located the noise in the blower motor. The motor was changed under warranty and the whine disappeared.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Noooooo, this is NOT HVAC related.... but thanks for responding!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
Hey Red, Did you ever get this fixed on your car? I got mine back from my B service and it's making a humming noise with RPM at around 1.5 to 2 when coasting to a stop. can't really hear it if i'm on the gas though...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA250
I noticed it today too. Quite noticeable, definitely not a normal engine sound. I had quiet music on and the whine was still cutting through. Turning off AC and radio didn't help. Mine occurs when accelerating mostly, at any speeds. I'll have to bring it to dealership next week.

We just bought the thing last week. *sigh*
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Whining (or whirling -) noise only when the car is moving and not at standstill when increasing the rpms? If so, could the transfer case be one possibility. Note blown trans at 29k: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...trans-29k.html.

There is quite recently reported a couple more cases on the German forum. Not to worry you.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 PM

GLK
Replace transmission and torque converter

I have a 2010 Glk with 12,000 miles and had the whining noise about 2 weeks ago. It took 3 visits to the dealer to diagnose the problem, turned out there was a faulty controller in the transmission. When the mechanic opened the transmission there was metal debris visible and in the transmission fluid. As a result, they replaced the transmission and torque converter. I was a bit surprised to have this problem with only 12,000 miles but they fixed it. This may be the same problem you have.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
ewc

BMW 330cic
Originally Posted by Ronbo74
I have a 2010 Glk with 12,000 miles and had the whining noise about 2 weeks ago. It took 3 visits to the dealer to diagnose the problem, turned out there was a faulty controller in the transmission. When the mechanic opened the transmission there was metal debris visible and in the transmission fluid. As a result, they replaced the transmission and torque converter. I was a bit surprised to have this problem with only 12,000 miles but they fixed it. This may be the same problem you have.
Well that stinks. I have noticed a whine in our new GLK as well. It reminds me of the transmission whine in my 02 Subaru wrx, which was very industrial sounding. I figured in the GLK it was a normal transmission sound.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the GLK IS developing this issue.... it will mark our departure from the brand... for good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whining / buzzing noise when driving