GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK; 2012 Ml350
Remote Starter

Has anybody installed a remote starter in their GLK yet? I know all Mercedes sales/service people frown on this application and advise not to install it. I have witnessed it working flawlessly in a friend's ML and a GL for the last 18 months. Midcity engineering has a product for the GLK and local installers are charging around $1300 for it. Just wondering if anybody out there has taken the plunge and some feedback.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Question that's strange?

when I contacted AutoMobility, and inquired with a few dealers. Since there are no dealers in Vancouver, I contacted in a dealer in Alberta.
I was quoted 1500 installed. Since I did not want to drive up there, I was given a part price a little less than that..
Are you sure that's not the installed price?
Installation can't be more than about 1hr tops as it is plug and play. Of course that would depend on how much they "plug 'n play"...

It could be also of the demand thing as winter is around the corner...

Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
yeah... but 1500 bucks? holly cow. a set of headders....
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM

2013 GLK; 2012 Ml350
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
when I contacted AutoMobility, and inquired with a few dealers. Since there are no dealers in Vancouver, I contacted in a dealer in Alberta.
I was quoted 1500 installed. Since I did not want to drive up there, I was given a part price a little less than that..
Are you sure that's not the installed price?
Installation can't be more than about 1hr tops as it is plug and play. Of course that would depend on how much they "plug 'n play"...

It could be also of the demand thing as winter is around the corner...

$ 1300.00 + Taxes Installed, here in S.W. Ontario. ($150.00 extra for KEY LESS GO equipped cars) . My info is that the unit is about 1K and the installation/programming is the rest.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Won't this installation void the warranty??
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM

2017 GLC300
Same here in Montreal, $1500.00 from a local installer recommended by Automobility.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM

Arrow Read On...

Originally Posted by JT01
Won't this installation void the warranty??
That depends on how and what?...and it's the 1st question most people ask and to sum it down... My 2 cents worth:

It is hard to believe that a car manufacture would "void" the warranty on the non related part installed.
For an example, if you changed your wheels and tires, does that void the transmission warranty. Again, just being hypothetical.
Another would be changing ' light bulbs, leds, HIDs etc." would this void the entire vehicle?
Of course in both instances, one could go back to stock and won't affect warranty?
Here's more about the company (taken from a news profile)

Midcity Engineering, LLC. , has announced the release of the Smartkey Starter remote starter interface for the entire current lineup of Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The Smartkey Starter is the world’s first production remote starter available for Mercedes-Benz vehicles that use the highly secure SmartKey, Midcity said. The Smartkey Starter is a fully integrated remote starter solution combined with a vehicle data bus interface and key emulation technology. The Smartkey Starter dispenses with the need for an additional key through the use of key emulation technology. In addition, every Smartkey Starter module includes a direct antenna data port which allows select DEI and Compustar brand antenna and long range remote key fobs to control the Smartkey Starter. Included with each starter module is a patent-pending plug-and-play harness that designed to simplify installation by making all necessary connections using plug in connections behind the ignition cylinder. MSRP for the Smartkey Starter is set at $799.99 USD

Remember that's USD for the part only. It's almost crazy when dealers charge $1500+?

... My 2 cents...

Old 11-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by malahhaor
yeah... but 1500 bucks? holly cow. a set of headders....
are we talking about MB / AMG / Brabus?

$1500 is a lot of $$$

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
are we talking about MB / AMG / Brabus?

$1500 is a lot of $$$

yea no $h!t, better start the car when I think about it. i'll retrofit heated steering wheel before putting remote start for that kinda of money. What happened to 150 bux starter that they put on Camry? does the same thing no?