GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

After 700 km

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
After 700 km

and 800 km left to go in the break-in period the GLK has been a delight. Except for the navi screen going blank (problem solved with a reset) nothing major to report. Some discoveries:

I noticed that my side mirrors weren't folding in when I parked and realized after that I had inadvertently changed the setting in system/convenience. I wasn't able to correct the setting from the steering controls and had to go to the console button "sys". So it appears that not all menus can be accessed from the steering.

I found that I had a bigger blind spot that I'm used to so I got a couple of round convex mirrors and stuck them on the side mirrors, bottom outside corner and it seems to help a bit.

I noticed a lot of brake dust and started to clean my rims every week. May try spraying some wax or ? so I can just wash it off.

If you don't have the map on the screen but have the navi on you can see the street name in the front, next to the speedometer -cool!

Parking should be easier with parktronic and the back up camera but it takes some getting used to. More a matter of having some faith in these gadgets. I prefer to look over my right shoulder first, look at the back up camera next and finally fine tune with parktronic.

The headlights could be better. I found that I needed to use high beam on unlit roads.

Can't wait to push Great Little Kar after the break-in!
Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride!

I just hit 1,500km...

Re the folding mirrors... you can in fact enable/disable them with the steering wheel controls.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
enjoy...

hey dlinjuly2009,
curious to know why you use the high beam on unlit roads? Are the Bi-Xenon not bright enough?
Also, to reduce the blind spots, did you try using a bit of the convex mirror that goes over the rear mirror? usually these take care of the 'extra' blind spots.
Waxing does keep brake dust off to minimal. However, you may want to make sure this wax is safe to use on the wheels as they may not protect better if you use some no-name brand stuff.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Just make sure you wash the wheels with plenty of car finish approved soap and water before you apply a good coat of Carnuba wax. (Dry them off well first. I did ours inside and out.)

I prefer road names on Navi map at all times but they do not appear.

We're right behind you with break-in... happy
Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by JT01
Re the folding mirrors... you can in fact enable/disable them with the steering wheel controls.
Thanks, JT01. Yes, I can use the steering control now. I didn't know that there was a submenu in the settings menu - page 119 of manual.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
hey dlinjuly2009,
curious to know why you use the high beam on unlit roads? Are the Bi-Xenon not bright enough?
Also, to reduce the blind spots, did you try using a bit of the convex mirror that goes over the rear mirror? usually these take care of the 'extra' blind spots.
Waxing does keep brake dust off to minimal. However, you may want to make sure this wax is safe to use on the wheels as they may not protect better if you use some no-name brand stuff.

thanks, mr. mbenz.

I find the Bi-Xenons adequate for city driving but on unlit roads with curves it's harder to see. It seems like the light focuses more to the side of the car. Could just be me.

I put the convex mirrors on the outside side mirrors. Haven't tried putting it on the interior rear view mirror. Will experiment but may not like the way it looks.

Someone in this forum mentioned a product called Regex. I think I would need to order it but would prefer finding something similar in a local store.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Just make sure you wash the wheels with plenty of car finish approved soap and water before you apply a good coat of Carnuba wax. (Dry them off well first. I did ours inside and out.)

We're right behind you with break-in... happy
Thanks, MBRedux. I've seen Carnuba and will buy it. Road names on navi map is nice but it would be even better if navi announces road names. The road name on the front display is a nice compromise but I'm waiting to see if there is a software upgrade for road names on map and announcements.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by MBRedux

Road names DO appear when you zoom in the map to the last notch (if you have a microscope, you will see the small font). Also you can see the name when you move the cross hair over a street.

But this is one big pet peeve for me. I like road names appear in every magnification of the map, like my $300 Garmin does. Why this $1800 system cannot do it?