GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

For Canadians - brake dust easy care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
For Canadians - brake dust easy care

Members here have recommended Carnuba and Rejex. I've also found the following available in Vancouver - see replies to my email below:

1. Thanks for your inquiry about WheelWax.

Yes, WheelWax will help you reduce your brake dust and make your alloys easier to keep clean. The reason is WheelWax doesn't allow the brake dust to attach to your alloys.

You can buy it from Volco Tires and Wheels, 12291 Bridgeport Road, Richmond, BC V6V1J4. Call ahead to make sure they have stock at 604-270-4727.

If they don't have stock, you can always buy it from my secure website www.wheelwax.ca.

Thanks
Sy Langer

Ultimate Transportation Products
416-580-7327
www.wheelwax.ca
info@wheelwax.ca

Thank you for contacting the Dupli-Color website.

You can apply this product to alloy wheels, but first we'd recommend cleaning the surface thoroughly, allow it to dry completely, then prime with either our DAP 1690 Self-Etching Primer (preferably) or the CP 199 Adhesion Promoter. You can then topcoat with the Wheel Coating color of your choice.

Thanks again for your inquiry.

Regards,
Eric

Canadian Tire
Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating CHWP 104 High Performance Satin Black
Bar code 2691610400
Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 PM

2010 GLK
I have used Wheelwax for the past few years on both my summer and winter set of wheels. It works great.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
90% of wheels today are silver with clear coat... the same clear coat used on 90% of the cars... (except MB, Porsche, Audi, VW, Bu, Lambo, these cars have a new nanotech clear... etc... okay so maybe it's 85%).

That fact is ANY good quality car wax (even a good quality cleaner car wax) will work just fine on your wheels... just make sure not to wax them until they have been cleaned with plenty of mild soap and water and well dried.... no need for any "special" wheel wax.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by MBRedux
That fact is ANY good quality car wax (even a good quality cleaner car wax) will work just fine on your wheels... just make sure not to wax them until they have been cleaned with plenty of mild soap and water and well dried.... no need for any "special" wheel wax.
When was the last time you were able to wash-off Tar from your wheels with mild soap and water? The point of using a good wax is to make the cleaning and upkeep easier.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM

glk
that's right...cleaning is a bigger part of making the wheels looks nice...but as you have a wax layer on the wheel...it becomes easier for cleaning too...lol
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by WpgGLK
When was the last time you were able to wash-off Tar from your wheels with mild soap and water? The point of using a good wax is to make the cleaning and upkeep easier.
That's why I fully prep every new car we buy BEFORE it hits the road... (on or near the day of delivery with less than 50 miles on the OD) Every wheel is taken off the car, washed and dried very carefully then waxed with a good coat of Carnauba wax inside and out. (Even a "Cleaner" type wax is okay) This will help when you try to remove any sticky stuff later on...

A "Cleaner" wax, such as Mothers Calif.Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax has a small amount of polishing compound blended in. This helps remove stains and blemishes, even tar without harming the clear coat.

The point is, there is no reason to buy expensive waxes that are so called made for wheels.... even polished alum. wheels.... they're all clear coated. But if you're happy paying more... then be my guest.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Mercedes Glk350
You know what? I've been using paper towel to quickly wipe my wheels, works well for a fast touch up.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by supercharged
You know what? I've been using paper towel to quickly wipe my wheels, works well for a fast touch up.
+1