GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Chattering wiper blades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Chattering wiper blades

Well it has been raining quite a bit here and today my wipers started to chatter. Annoying. I put some Rain-X on the windshield about a week ago but I don't think they caused the noise. I know the US manual says I can clean the wipers but my Canadian manual makes no mention about cleaning them. I'm taking it to the dealer to get new wiper blades but wondered if I should try cleaning the blades first.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
Well it has been raining quite a bit here and today my wipers started to chatter. Annoying. I put some Rain-X on the windshield about a week ago but I don't think they caused the noise. I know the US manual says I can clean the wipers but my Canadian manual makes no mention about cleaning them. I'm taking it to the dealer to get new wiper blades but wondered if I should try cleaning the blades first.
I'm sorry to report that Rain-X is your problem... as a matter of fact, Rain-X ruins more windshields than anything else.... people just don't realize how it works... but in fact it doesn't.

And it doesn't come off either....ever.

New wipers will improve the wiper operation until they too get worn down by Rain-X. You may want to try conditioning your wipers by applying a small amount of 3M Brand Pure Silicone Spray (do not use any other brand) to the rubber, let it set for a min. or so and wipe clean... this will help but only for a short time until it too will wear down due to the Rain-X on your windshield... Rain-X is not a lubricant, but forms into a thin film layer with holes in it like swiss cheese... this acts like sand paper on your wipers... sorry.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Rain-X also ruins night driving. One reason is that over time small web like scratches on the Rain-X layer appear, and at night any on coming headlight fizzes as it shines through the scratched up rain-x layer.

When you apllied it, did any of the Rain-X roll down to your rubber wipers? Rain-X doesn't like rubber and/or painted surfaces so be careful.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:22 AM

Thanks, MBRedux.

I'm sure some of the Rain-X rolled down the windshield to my wipers, or got washed down.

I also found this. What do you think?

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Windshie...from-Squeaking

What they say:

If you've recently applied RainX or wax and noticed chatter, remove the product with a normal car polish, RainX or wax can create a film that causes chatter in the wiper blades.

Oh. page 255 of MB manual it does say to use mild detergent solution to clean wiper blades.

So for wipers blades: use polish (not wax) to remove Rain-X, mild detergent to clean and 3M Silicon Spray to condition.
For window: use polish (not wax) to remove Rain-X, vinegar (or Windex or baking soda) to clean

and the difference between polish and wax is:
http://www.torquecars.com/articles/polishing-waxing.php

All that just because I wanted to use some Rain-X!

Last edited by dlinjuly2009; 11-17-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay... this is my advice... and depending on how well you do these steps, the Rain-X product should no longer be a problem. It won't get it all off, but it will help.

1) Go to your local Home Improvement Center (Home Depot/Lowes etc.) walk over to the paint section and purchase 1 quart of pure Naptha and a small bag of microfiber towels. Buy some disposable tight fitting work gloves as well.

2) Go to your local MB Dealer and buy a new set of front wiper blades. (Get the rear wiper as well if you applied Rain-X to your rear window.)

3) Once at home, look into your owners manual for the procedure on how to place the front wipers into their service mode position. This will allow you to raise the wiper arms (& blades) away from your windshield so you can work better.

4) Wash the windshield and any other glass panel that was treated with Rain-X with plenty of mild soap and water to remove any grit. (Do not use spray Windex, because it hardens Rain-X)) Dry very well with a soft paper towel or cloth. There should be NO trace of water for the next few steps. Air dry for an hour or more if need be.

5) Put on your gloves and working in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors in fresh air, apply enough Naptha to the microfiber towel to wet it well but please be careful not to over soak it that it drips. Naptha evaporates very quickly and it will dry out rubber if allowed to soak in. That's another reason why you must use the service mode to get the wipers off the window.

6) Apply the Naptha soaked towel to the windshield with some downward force. Use a small step ladder if needed. Use vertical strokes from top to bottom and back up again until you cover over the entire glass windshield panel with Naptha. Fold your microfiber towel to a non used section and repeat this Naptha application 3 to five times to each of the glass panels you applied the Rain-X product. If it does get on the paint, it should do no harm because it evaporates very quickly. Just wipe it up with a soft cotton cloth you should keep handy in your back pocket just in case. Even if you do get some on rubber or plastic, (except the wiper blades) just treat the rubber/plastic with a little 3M brand Silicone Spray. Other brands are not pure and will actually harm rubber or plastic. 3M's Pure Silicone Spray product actually replenishes rubber and will not harm plastic, it just makes it look great!

7) Wash the windows again with soap and water... dry well.

8) Install new wiper blades and get them out of the service mode following the instructions in your owners manual.

9) Throw the Rain-X bottle in the trash can.

10) That should do it.... Good luck.

Last edited by MBRedux; 11-17-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Nissan Murano
I have a same problem, especially when the blade move all the way up to the left, I can actually see it jerk a few times. So far I have been ignoring it, but I am sure not to use the Rain-X.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM

MBRedux, thank you for taking the time to compile your detail solution to my problem, much appreciated.

I got the 3M Brand Silicon Spray (part# 3M8897)
http://www.technologylk.com/3m-silic...rc=pricegraber
and was able to remove my wipers after putting them in a vertical position - pretty straightforward, page 311 of manual. Just have to get the Naptha now.

This morning it stopped raining finally and my wipers are working fine. But I'm still going with the treatment, who knows Rain-X only works when it's raining, lol.

From now on, no Rain-X where there is a wiper blade!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
boy that was some rain yesterday

we are expecting more rain for the week. and it seems almost everyday, there will be ' rain '.
dlinjuly2009, did you check with MB to see what is recommended for the windshield?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
we are expecting more rain for the week. and it seems almost everyday, there will be ' rain '.
dlinjuly2009, did you check with MB to see what is recommended for the windshield?

No, I haven't checked with MB. There is a lot of helpful information here and in other forums.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Best wiper blade?

http://www.galttech.com/research/car...per-blades.php

After reading this thread, you may want to question the Rain-X recommendation and blades - " I can't stress this enough, if you put a windshield treatment like RainX ($4 for a bottle) on your windshield once every 3 weeks or so doing the rainy season, you are guaranteed to save the life of your wipers considerably."

Last edited by dlinjuly2009; 11-17-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Thumbs up Update

Well, 3 days after the treatment my wiper blades are working fine again. Thanks, MBRedux!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad it worked....
Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
I've had good luck using Rain-X, the benefits are especially noticeable driving at higher speeds when airflow over the windshield lifts the wiper blades slightly and reduces their effectiveness. But I do a meticulous clay job on my windshields before the first Rain-X application. It's imperative it be put on thoroughly clean glass.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
I have the same problem with the drivers side windshield wiped. I'm the 2nd owner of this car so I'm not sure what was put on the windshield in the past. It was very annoying and loud today driving in the rain because of this. I'm going to use the claybar on the windshield since I have one handy and get a new set of blades. If that doesn't work I'll try the products above.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
MBRedux, thank you for taking the time to compile your detail solution to my problem, much appreciated.

I got the 3M Brand Silicon Spray (part# 3M8897)
http://www.technologylk.com/3m-silic...rc=pricegraber
and was able to remove my wipers after putting them in a vertical position - pretty straightforward, page 311 of manual. Just have to get the Naptha now.

This morning it stopped raining finally and my wipers are working fine. But I'm still going with the treatment, who knows Rain-X only works when it's raining, lol.

From now on, no Rain-X where there is a wiper blade!
Glad to hear your problem is gone. I see that you are also in Vancouver, did the shop ship the above to your Canadian address? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Although Rain-X may have been the problem there is another instance when the "Chatter" may occur.

Wet the windshield (preferably by someone outside the vehicle) with a light spray.
Sit in the car and turn on the wipers.
This may be a little difficult to see but when the wiper arm is moving to the left the wiper blade should be pointing to the right and vice versa.
Picture trying to pull a squeegee across towards you. It doesn't work well.
If the blade is not facing in the opposite direction of the arm that means that the ARM is not in a perpendicular position to the windshield. This is hard to tell but by twisting (not recommended) or replacing the arm that will allow the blade to flip flop in the opposite direction of the arm.