GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK performance in snow and cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
[quote=power007;3876438]I live in Norway and it's -20 degree Celsius, when I start my GLK I get error message "top up coolant" after 10 minutes driving the message disappears. Another thing is that the electric steering wheel don't function because of the cold, but after 10 minutes driving it's fine.[/quote]

Since I came across this GLK-class forum only a couple days ago, the reply is accordingly late. Our GLK was suffering from the "Washer system and headlamp cleaning system" issue as well. The error message came at temps from below approx. -7,5 C, car being parked for several days in an "cold" garage. The dealer accepted may complaint, and replaced the sensor in the reservoir, as agreed to - and the reservoir as well, for reasons not known.

However, on my first visit at the dealer he responded with: "Oh yes, we have had some (similar) cases with the C-class", and service manager confirmed that the replacement sensor most likely would be mfg. at specifications valid for the original.

I also, most likely by a mistake, happened to get a grip on part of a Daimler internal info, which cover the issue. Translated from Danish, it goes (in short) like this:
Cause: The conductivity of the fluid is insufficient due to:
- Usage of distilled or "deonized" water
- Conductivity water part in the solution i too small
- The anti-freezing additive to high.

In case of using the MB OEM fluid, this clearly, to me at least, states a flaw in the specification/manufacture of the (European build) GLKs, unless you keep them inside when the temperatures goes lower than -18°C, as the MB OEM dealer fluid is rated to -18°C when mixed at 1:1 concentration.

As the replacement of the sensor took place quite lately and the temperatures have been above the point of failure, I have no experience with the outcome. However do I expect to see the error message again. Will report in case next (?) failure.

Originally Posted by MBRedux
- snip
The anti-freezing (alcohol) additive varies and their concentrations do as well, but they all work. However our GLK's are now painted with a new nanotechnology lacquer clear-coat that can be damaged by higher concentrations of Methanol in the formula.... so beware of higher concentration formulas, they’re NOT all mixed in the same proportion.
Added to that (well written): Unlike the US GLK Operator's manual, is mine with regard to the chapter "Washer system and headlamp cleaning system", having a "! Highlights hazards that may result in damage to your vehicle.". In short is it stating that use of an improper concentrate may cause harm to the headlight plastic lenses. As I read it, they state that not all brands are "proper". Meaning: A certain concentrate may cause graceful degradation of the lenses.

Originally Posted by MB_Owner
- snip
Or has anyone else had theirs freeze up? Surely you folks up in Canada have had temps below -25° C.

Global warming? Nope, not here.

+1. As winter is coming to an end some places in the world at least, any experiences to share? In case of no problems, did your cars stay in warm garages, how often did you use the cars, how long was the drives etc.

When the ice on a (specific) lake in our part of the world is carrying a man at mid summer, there are signs telling us that the spring may come in late. (Its just a saying).
Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Originally Posted by JT01
Well... I am happy to announce that after a record breaking 2 day snowfall here in Edmonton and subsequent 2 day coldsnap with highs of approx. -27 degress Celcius, my GLK has performed marvelously!!

The 4 Matic chewed through everything including 3ft snow drifts. Never got stuck... and this is still with my 20s on! (My snow tires get put on tomorrow).

It started every morning like a charm without even plugging in the block.

Got nice and warm inside real fast and the heated seats are the ****!

The vehicle never even got creeky in the cold... and all electronic functions including the windows and liftgate worked fine...

Only one issue... the on and off squeaky breaks... it definately has something to do with the cold.

You never really appreciate a nice new comfy and capable vehicle like you do when it is minus 30 out with tons of snow...
I live in Edmonton as well, and I recently just purchased the GLK. I am wondering, did you install a car starter? I'm curious to know if I should even bother or not.