GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK performance in snow and cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
GLK performance in snow and cold

Well... I am happy to announce that after a record breaking 2 day snowfall here in Edmonton and subsequent 2 day coldsnap with highs of approx. -27 degress Celcius, my GLK has performed marvelously!!

The 4 Matic chewed through everything including 3ft snow drifts. Never got stuck... and this is still with my 20s on! (My snow tires get put on tomorrow).

It started every morning like a charm without even plugging in the block.

Got nice and warm inside real fast and the heated seats are the ****!

The vehicle never even got creeky in the cold... and all electronic functions including the windows and liftgate worked fine...

Only one issue... the on and off squeaky breaks... it definately has something to do with the cold.

You never really appreciate a nice new comfy and capable vehicle like you do when it is minus 30 out with tons of snow...

Last edited by JT01; 12-07-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM

Mercedes Glk350
Awesome to hear, as I do not plan to put on snow tires to replace the 20 inch pirellis. Snow performance is one of the reasons I purchased the GLK, nice to hear good experiences.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 PM

glk
good, this is what we buy this for...not enough snow down here around Toronto...yet...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
UPDATE

So it was -42 degrees celsius before windchill in Edmonton last night and it is currently -37. The roads are shear ice and packed snow... so I guess you can say I have been doing my own extreme weather testing!

The nav screen will go blank when I start up the vehicle and turn on again after about 5-10 minutes once the temperature in the cabin warms up. I think this might be a standard thing, but don't know for sure. Power windows are slow when closing and power steering is stiff until the vehicle warms up. Breaks still squeal.

Other than that, everything is still fully operational.

I must say that I am very impressed so far...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 PM

GLK 350
Glad to hear, exactly why we got the GLK. Now its time for some of the white stuff to drop in TO....
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 PM

C63
I also live in Edmonton, and would like to say that the GLK performs exceptionally well with my 20" on, not winter tires!
One thing to beware as my dealer told me is that you should make the side mirrors stay on the outside, instead of them folding in when you turn off the car because once it gets super cold (like the past 4 days), the structure in the mirror COULD get frozen, and stuck in place. He says that this is VERY rare, but has had the occassional problem like that.
Other than that, I feel completely safe in my GLK
Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Mercedes Glk350
I took the glk out in the snow last night in a suburb of Vancouver and man this thing rocks! I was purposely looking for unplowed roads and side streets but there wasn't enough snow on them to give me any challenge. Let's just say the 4-ETS/ESP/BAS etc. all got put to the test last night
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM

GLK 350
Awesome!!!! I love it in the snow. I'm in Calgary and the GLK is chewing up snow drifts in my alley and the -40 degree Celsius weather ain't a thing.

Check out the thread about the squeaky brakes, I'm 100% sure its not just the cold weather...

MY only concern is the wipers.... they seem to freeze and get full of frozen snow really quickly! Do we have heated washers nozzles?

What actually happens to the 4Matic system when you turn off the stability control?? Is there a way to lock the 4WD mode or something?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Mercedes Glk350
Originally Posted by topher91
Awesome!!!! I love it in the snow. I'm in Calgary and the GLK is chewing up snow drifts in my alley and the -40 degree Celsius weather ain't a thing.

Check out the thread about the squeaky brakes, I'm 100% sure its not just the cold weather...

MY only concern is the wipers.... they seem to freeze and get full of frozen snow really quickly! Do we have heated washers nozzles?

What actually happens to the 4Matic system when you turn off the stability control?? Is there a way to lock the 4WD mode or something?
Stability control just stops you from sliding sideways or spinning out excessively. When you disengage it you can slide freely however traction control is still activated to limit wheel spin. 4matic is always on because it's an all wheel drive system that just transfers power to the wheels that need more grip. 4matic is not the same as 4x4 so we don't have the option to 'lock' 4wd mode, however awd is essentially that.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 PM

2011BMW Z4 IS, 2011 Ford Raptor, 2010 GLK
Drove the GLK in a Blizzard today. Overall was happy with the performance. Did slide a bit, but made it through snow drifts without any problems. This has more to do with the tires than anything else. If you live in an area that gets significant snow fall winter tires would definitely make a difference. Wipers worked well and loved the heated side view mirrors. Lift gate worked well, and loved the ability to stop it from opening all the way up. So far very impressed.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Originally Posted by cbs001
Drove the GLK in a Blizzard today. Overall was happy with the performance. Did slide a bit, but made it through snow drifts without any problems. This has more to do with the tires than anything else. If you live in an area that gets significant snow fall winter tires would definitely make a difference. Wipers worked well and loved the heated side view mirrors. Lift gate worked well, and loved the ability to stop it from opening all the way up. So far very impressed.
Good to hear, cbs001! I can't wait for snow to see how the glk handles. I didn't know the side view mirrors were heated. What did you like about them?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:01 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Sweet... and your right about the winter tires. The all-season 20s will do the trick, but there is no comparison to the agility, control and comfort on good 17 inch winters! I wasn't going to get winters at first, but I can honestly say I would have never experienced the true potential of my GLK without them...
Old 12-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009
Good to hear, cbs001! I can't wait for snow to see how the glk handles. I didn't know the side view mirrors were heated. What did you like about them?
I didn't know the side view mirrors were heated either, and usually scrapers are a pain to fit in to get the ice off, well went to clean the ice off and with swipe off my glove- gone.

Got total of 20 inches with some good sized drifts, again the GLK was game. Only thing I noticed this morning was that when I had max defrost set and then turned the heat down on the drivers side, it switched to the AC setting. Any ideas????
Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 PM

I didn't know the side view mirrors were heated either, and usually scrapers are a pain to fit in to get the ice off, well went to clean the ice off and with swipe off my glove- gone.

Got total of 20 inches with some good sized drifts, again the GLK was game. Only thing I noticed this morning was that when I had max defrost set and then turned the heat down on the drivers side, it switched to the AC setting. Any ideas????
cbs001, I like my side mirrors fog free too. How long does it take to heat and melt the ice?

I think it switches to AC to remove the humidity and prevent the interior from fogging up.

You may want to disable the side mirrors from folding in when they ice up. Read somewhere in this forum that a dealer mentioned this. I think it's to prevent force being applied when the side mirrors are frozen.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JT01
Sweet... and your right about the winter tires. The all-season 20s will do the trick, but there is no comparison to the agility, control and comfort on good 17 inch winters! I wasn't going to get winters at first, but I can honestly say I would have never experienced the true potential of my GLK without them...
What are you running for your winter set up?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:00 PM

cbs001, I like my side mirrors fog free too. How long does it take to heat and melt the ice?

I think it switches to AC to remove the humidity and prevent the interior from fogging up.

You may want to disable the side mirrors from folding in when they ice up. Read somewhere in this forum that a dealer mentioned this. I think it's to prevent force being applied when the side mirrors are frozen.
Seemed to take about 3-4 minutes but wasn't timing it. Unfortunately US cars do not have the power folding mirrors.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM

How are glk drivers along the east coast coping with the snow and ice this week?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I took my ride up to Lake Tahoe this weekend and it performed perfectly on snow and ice.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
hey GLK4Matic, nice pix w/ snow.
Nice wheels too. Where did you obtain them?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
hey GLK4Matic, nice pix w/ snow.
Nice wheels too. Where did you obtain them?

Thank you. Those are the factory wheels powdercoated black.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 AM

GLK 350
Looks good I must say....
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Glad to hear GLK does well in the extreme conditions, just remember one thing: while there are 4 driving wheels and stabilty control, there are still only 4 wheels breaking like on any other car and the only thing that matters is that patch between car and road called tires (and ABS which is now on every car as well).
Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 PM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
How are glk drivers along the east coast coping with the snow and ice this week?
Tough getting out of the garage.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM

GLK 220
I live in Norway and it's -20 degree Celsius, when I start my GLK I get error message "top up coolant" after 10 minutes driving the message disappears. Another thing is that the electric steering wheel don't function because of the cold, but after 10 minutes driving it's fine.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:37 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by power007
I live in Norway and it's -20 degree Celsius, when I start my GLK I get error message "top up coolant" after 10 minutes driving the message disappears. Another thing is that the electric steering wheel don't function because of the cold, but after 10 minutes driving it's fine.
That shouldn't happen. It has been a month with much colder temps here and I have experienced none of that with mine...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK performance in snow and cold