GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Stupid Dealerships vs. the Federal Law / "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Stupid Dealerships vs. the Federal Law / "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

You do not have to take your vehicle to the dealer for routine maintenance, such as oil and filter changes in order to maintain your warranty. Dealers sometimes claim that only their own service departments can provide routine maintenance work on the cars and trucks they sell. Some may even tell you that if anyone other than a dealer does the work — or if anything but parts with their own brand are installed — the warranty is no longer valid. This is untrue and against Federal Law in The United States of America. This deception led to the passing of The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in 1975 — U.S. Code Title 15, Chapter 50.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act — part of the Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act [U.S. Code Title 15] — was enacted in 1975 “to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products…” The act requires that consumers be given information that explains the implied and express warranties attached to products and services costing more than $25.00:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is defined by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if:

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the ‘public interest’.” .......

In addition, it is common for new car owners to be concerned about modifying their car and worrying about voiding there warranty. The following should be good information to consider if you're worrying about that next modification.

Although the Magnuson-Moss Act is a law designed to protect consumers for any service, part or product worth over $25, it has become a large part of the automotive industry. We have all heard of stories in which dealerships have refused to honor a warranty because of modification to the vehicle. Under the Magnusson-Moss Act, a dealership or manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage solely because the consumer has installed aftermarket parts. This does not give tuners an excuse though, to throw anything they want on the car. If the manufacturer or dealership determines the mechanical problem is fully or even partially due to an aftermarket part, they have the legal right to deny coverage or repair under the warranty. The purpose of the act, in regards to owners working on their automobiles, is so manufacturers cannot require consumers to purchase factory OEM parts. So if you decide to use a Fram or Mobil 1 oil filter as opposed to the factory oil filter, this is where the act will protect you by not voiding your warranty.

What this all means is that although you can repair and modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts, just be smart about your modifications until the car is no longer covered. Keep all records, bills of sale, etc... even if you use MB OEM parts or not. If you're handy and confident about working on cars, you can save lots of money by doing the labor yourself and the dealership can't do a thing about it... that's if the work is done right. They'll be stupid if they try.

However, I feel that there's no need to waste a perfectly good warranty while it's there by doing outragous engine mods that could get you into trouble, at least during the warranty years... but consider it safe (at least in the USA) to do your own preventive maintenance and minor repairs... just keep a detailed record of it.

Last edited by MBRedux; 12-23-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 4Matic
Great info for all. This came up in the MB finance department when i was finalizing the paperwork on the GLK. As they are trying to sell me the maintenance package, wheel package, extended warranty package, etc, etc, etc ..... they told me only the dealership could do oil changes. When I asked the finance guy to bring in the shop manger to see if they repealed the Magnuson Act, he immediately backed down .....
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
a service rep at a ford dealer tried to deny coverage because i put a CAI on my SHO. when i demanded the service manager, he said he'll let it slide. i never had a problem again!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I bumped this thread only because a few here are still a little confused about this.