GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Foglight & License Plate Light UPG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Foglight & License Plate Light UPG

has anyone done any mods where the color and of the front fog light matches with bi-xenon without losing any intensity?

and the rear plate lights with a slight tint of blue in LED?

can't seem to find the source to provide any clear answers...

Old 12-31-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
has anyone done any mods where the color and of the front fog light matches with bi-xenon without losing any intensity?

and the rear plate lights with a slight tint of blue in LED?

can't seem to find the source to provide any clear answers...

My GLK came with the standard Halogen bulbs and I installed an HID kit. Having said that, I now have replaced almost all my bulbs inside and out with LED lights. I just ordered and received H7 LED's (for my high beam lights) and H11 LED's (for my fog lights) and plan to install them soon. The High beams are easier because you can get to them unlike the fog lights where you have to take the drivers side front tire off just to get to the housing. I am debating whether to have that done or do it myself because I live in Chicago and it's cold right now, even in the garage.

I just replaced the rear license plates with LED lights I got from www.IJDMtoy.com. Click this link to view. https://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDet..._HP_T10_SKU300.

They work and look great. They have a slightly blueish tint and match the white intensity look of the HID's (I ordered the Xenon white LED bulbs, not Ultra blue).

If you view my profile I have pictures of the inside and outside LED's but not of the rear license plates since I just did those. Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited by gdepau; 12-31-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:43 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
These look absolutely great gdepau.

How do the inside light (dome, vanity etc) covers come off to replace the bulbs?
Are they simple bulb replacements with plug n play bulbs or did you need some sort of transformer kit?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 PM

thanks gdepau!

when you get a chance to take a pix of foglight and licence plate upgrade, that would be great...

Old 01-01-2010, 01:55 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Taxidermist
These look absolutely great gdepau.

How do the inside light (dome, vanity etc) covers come off to replace the bulbs?
Are they simple bulb replacements with plug n play bulbs or did you need some sort of transformer kit?
Hi Taxidermist,

They are simple LED replacements bulbs, no transformer needed because they are made for the GLK 350. I got all my LED bulbs from http://store.ijdmtoy.com/.

If you are ordering them, the correct ones to order for the interior lights are these:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/product-p/pkg_euro_smd_13.htm. These are the brighter lights and cost $39.99 but worth it over the ones they sell that cost $26.99. These replace the 2 front dome lights, 2 front vanity lights and 1 trunk light. Don't let their picture mislead you, they are all the same LED bulb.

It is tricky to replace the Driver dome lights, you have to use a credit card and slide it until it pops loose. Here is a picture of where to insert it and what it looks like after you pull it down but be careful don't pull it down too far.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...g-p1010077.jpg

https://mbworld.org/forums/attach...g-p1010048.jpg

Here is the thread called Dome Lights Removal that you should read that covered this before. Unfortunately, the pictures that showed step by step how to do it are gone, don't know why but the person that posted them took them down.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ht=dome+lights

The rear dome light also must be removed with a credit card. Use the credit card to slide between the roof and dome light on a slight angle then slide it over to one side. I then used a thin screwdriver behind the credit card and roof to pry the dome light off. There are 4 tabs, 2 on each side that hold the cover, thats why I slid it to one side about an inch from the end and pry from there. Tricky, but you can do it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions...

Last edited by gdepau; 01-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:05 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
thanks gdepau!

when you get a chance to take a pix of foglight and licence plate upgrade, that would be great...

Sure, it may take a while for the fog lights but I will take a picture tonight of the license plate light.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:19 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
Thanks for the picks and links gdepau. Much appreciated.
Likely one of the first things I'm going to do when my GLK comes in.

Was wondering if anyone has come across a manual for these types of things. Wouldn't want to have to go to a dealer to get say a bulb replaced.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:33 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Taxidermist
Thanks for the picks and links gdepau. Much appreciated.
Likely one of the first things I'm going to do when my GLK comes in.

Was wondering if anyone has come across a manual for these types of things. Wouldn't want to have to go to a dealer to get say a bulb replaced.
Here is the best tool I found that should come in pretty handy. It is an online interactive manual for the GLK. The indepth section has a lot of good info on the entire car on bulb part numbers, tire pressure, etc.

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...en/flash8.html
Old 01-01-2010, 04:19 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Great.
Plus and minus.
Plus - I found out where they hid the Fuse map (In the trunk to the left side of the spare)
Minus - They describe a switch to change the distance the Halogen Lamps shine - I have halogens but not the switch. Probably not on any US version.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM

thanks for the update gdepau. I can't wait to get this mod done soon, especially the rear licence plate lites. I have seen too many Bimmers with this cool looking light. Not sure if they are factory or an add-on?
For the front fog, I would like to obtain the HID match with Bi-Xenons and not sure of what Kelvin the OEM is?

Wait to see some of latest pixs, please.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
I just reviewed some segments of the Interactive GLK Owners Manual and was impressed at the ease of use and information provided.

Thanks!

GLKbeige - Sandstone Beige with Premium/Panorama Roof & UMI.

Originally Posted by gdepau
Here is the best tool I found that should come in pretty handy. It is an online interactive manual for the GLK. The indepth section has a lot of good info on the entire car on bulb part numbers, tire pressure, etc.

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...en/flash8.html
Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
thanks for the update gdepau. I can't wait to get this mod done soon, especially the rear licence plate lites. I have seen too many Bimmers with this cool looking light. Not sure if they are factory or an add-on?
For the front fog, I would like to obtain the HID match with Bi-Xenons and not sure of what Kelvin the OEM is?

Wait to see some of latest pixs, please.

Mr.mbenz

Sorry about the delay, the pictures were not coming out so I had to keep trying to take them. When I used flash, you couldn't see the lights and without the flash they are blurry. These were the best I could come up with. Hope you can tell from these pics but there is a blueish tint.

p.s my HID kit was 6000K for the headlights.
Attached Thumbnails Foglight & License Plate Light UPG-p1040002.jpg   Foglight & License Plate Light UPG-p1040003.jpg   Foglight & License Plate Light UPG-p1040004.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM

thanks gdepau for the pixs and your effort!

you're right, it is a little on the blue side. I may want a little bit whiter color as it looks like an invitation for those traffic cops....

p.s. to take pixs without flash in cold is best done with a tripod and/or self-timer.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
thanks gdepau for the pixs and your effort!

you're right, it is a little on the blue side. I may want a little bit whiter color as it looks like an invitation for those traffic cops....

p.s. to take pixs without flash in cold is best done with a tripod and/or self-timer.
Thanks for the camera tips, I will try it again and see it works..

The lights are white but it's the reflection off the bumper chrome that is blueish. I will take another picture using your tips and see if it comes out better.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:58 PM

thanks gdepau, after the next pixs... I can finally justify if I would like to the mod...

Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM

glk
dark with high iso if you can tolerate the noises...always use a tripod and a selftimer if no cable or remote release is available. if using a tripod, try lower the iso for a richer picture...if you want to show the ture color, might need to shoot with different white balances. Even flash will be okay, if you compensate the flash with correct white balance settings...

picture is already convincing...
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
thanks gdepau, after the next pixs... I can finally justify if I would like to the mod...

Figures, now that I took higher quality pics, the site wont let me upload most of them, the file sizes range from 1.5MB to 4.5MB. Any suggestions????

Managed to get these thru but the better ones wont upload....
Attached Thumbnails Foglight & License Plate Light UPG-p1050001.jpg   Foglight & License Plate Light UPG-p1050002.jpg  

Last edited by gdepau; 01-05-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 AM

hi gdepau,

really thank you for all your efforts.
you can cheat by sending yourself an e-mail of the pixs you took and the e-mail program should ask if you would like to 'shrink' the size to less file size due to bandwidth allocation. Hopefully, this helps.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
Figures, now that I took higher quality pics, the site wont let me upload most of them, the file sizes range from 1.5MB to 4.5MB. Any suggestions????

Managed to get these thru but the better ones wont upload....
will the brighter led light affects the rear view camera??
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 AM

GLK, PP, AMG pack, Tech pack
Originally Posted by bobhammer
Good question. I'm also wondering the same thing as I added the rear view camera option on my GLK. Wonder if the LED are too bright and affect the display.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by bobhammer
As long as the camera does not see the LEDs there should not be any effect other than to say that the picture would look more like daylight. When I put my car in reverse the back up lights light up the scene very well at night.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 AM

GLK, PP, AMG pack, Tech pack
Originally Posted by MKenM
As long as the camera does not see the LEDs there should not be any effect other than to say that the picture would look more like daylight. When I put my car in reverse the back up lights light up the scene very well at night.
Just wondering if you also changed your license plate lights to white LEDs? There's also the chrome plate on the tailgate, so I dunno if there's too much light reflecting off of it. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
My GLK came with the standard Halogen bulbs and I installed an HID kit. Having said that, I now have replaced almost all my bulbs inside and out with LED lights. I just ordered and received H7 LED's (for my high beam lights) and H11 LED's (for my fog lights) and plan to install them soon. The High beams are easier because you can get to them unlike the fog lights where you have to take the drivers side front tire off just to get to the housing. I am debating whether to have that done or do it myself because I live in Chicago and it's cold right now, even in the garage.

I just replaced the rear license plates with LED lights I got from www.IJDMtoy.com. Click this link to view. https://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDet..._HP_T10_SKU300.

They work and look great. They have a slightly blueish tint and match the white intensity look of the HID's (I ordered the Xenon white LED bulbs, not Ultra blue).

If you view my profile I have pictures of the inside and outside LED's but not of the rear license plates since I just did those. Anyway, hope this helps.
Do the LED license plate lights throw out any error messages? Has there been reports of over heating/melting with any excess unused current?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:31 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by jonnyrt
Do the LED license plate lights throw out any error messages? Has there been reports of over heating/melting with any excess unused current?

No errors from any of the LED's I purchased but make sure you get the ones for Mercedes. I have had no issues with heating or melting and I have had them now for 2 years.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Try AZN Optics on here he has great LEDs, no errors or failures after a year on mine.

http://www.aznoptics.com/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Foglight & License Plate Light UPG