door handle recesses?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350 AWD
door handle recesses?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just bought a GLK 350 for my wife. Ran a search and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone have this Door Handle Recesses Chrome for their GLK? I was looking into it so my wife's nails don't scratch up the paint. Is the chrome a bit too much? Anyone have pics?

Thanks in Advanced,
Patrick
Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
I don't have any pictures that specifically target the chrome recesses.
I do have a pix showing them tho.

I think the fact that they are not standing out shouting "Look at me", is one thing I like about them.
I only use Genuine Mercedes Accessories and think these are cool.
Attached Thumbnails door handle recesses?-user127636_pic9682_1261686782.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 AM

2010 GLK 350 AWD
Thanks for sharing the pic. Is it double sided taped on?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 AM

Yes it is. Very careful fit. You pull a bit of the covering material off and leave it stick outside the edge and then manipulate the recess behind the handle. Once you have it behind the handle, pull the rest of the covering out and press the recess.
One problem is the temperature.
Should be at least 70F. 80F is even better.
Could use a hair dryer I suppose. That is what I used on the Headlight and taillight trim.
Takes about 24 hours to set up.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 AM

GLK 350 4matic
I got them on my black GLK too, look awesome. Don't think the time is right for you to apply now, unless you live in tropical area.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Originally Posted by RedRover
Yes it is. Very careful fit. You pull a bit of the covering material off and leave it stick outside the edge and then manipulate the recess behind the handle. Once you have it behind the handle, pull the rest of the covering out and press the recess.
One problem is the temperature.
Should be at least 70F. 80F is even better.
Could use a hair dryer I suppose. That is what I used on the Headlight and taillight trim.
Takes about 24 hours to set up.
RedRover,

Where did you pick the chrome inserts and what specifically do they have for the GLK?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 AM

I got my stuff at two places.

Dealerfit - http://www.dealerfit.com/ (This is where I got the recesses and the fog light surrounds)
and
PerformanceProducts4Benz - http://www.performanceproducts4benz.com/ (This is actually Ecklers, a longtime accessory dealer and is where I got the
headlight and taillight trim.)
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM

2010 GLK 350 AWD
Hmmm...I thinking the chrome may be a bit much now for "my" taste. Anyone install a clearbra type film to the inside of the door handles? If so, anyone know where to purchase some precut?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the family!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kaidoy021
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just bought a GLK 350 for my wife. Ran a search and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone have this Door Handle Recesses Chrome for their GLK? I was looking into it so my wife's nails don't scratch up the paint. Is the chrome a bit too much? Anyone have pics?

Thanks in Advanced,
Patrick
If your wife's nails can scratch the clear coat, I would be afraid.

That said, I have a white GLK without the appearance package and loving the white/black contrast look, so I passed on the chrome inserts. If you like the chrome look..go for it.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in Advanced,
Patrick
http://mercedes.dealerfit.com/store/...at909_2481.php

The problem I have with these is that water, dirt, sand, grime and ice will build up behind the *stick-on* chrome panals... and over time cause the 3M self stickies to come off... plus it will do more damage (over time) than if you had left it alone... you can always use *clear* protector films that are custom cut to fit. (Look up Clear-Bra, or 3M Clear Polyurethane applications). Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
could use a bit of silicone to give that seamless look and not worry about the dirt and debris getting trapped between the accessory and body.
The key thing is getting the right type and only using very "micro-sized" amount.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:14 AM

Well.....I just hope that the MB insignia on the trunk.....the G-L-K and 3-5-0 and the protective bright strips on the side don't fall off.
They are put on the same way.

Actually, people have been putting accessories on for years and I have never heard of them falling off!

I really wouldn't worry about it.
These are genuine Mercedes accessories.
Of course I don't know that MB uses 3m tape...But it looks like it......I would think that any partner chosen by MB would be of similar high quality.

Many questions about this kind of thing can be answered at many places on the web.
Heres one of them:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...tachment/Home/

Might not be a bad idea about the silicone though.

Seems that if you wanted a clear protectant,that you might be able to get in touch with the vendors on Bay.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 AM

GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in Advanced,
Patrick
My GLK has 3M clear covers on the back of door handles.
It just costs $10~20 and installation is easy.

I think this is the best way if you don't like chrome items.
but if you like Chrome Accessories then go for OEM chrome handle items.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Dreamka
My GLK has 3M clear covers on the back of door handles.
It just costs $10~20 and installation is easy.

I think this is the best way if you don't like chrome items.
but if you like Chrome Accessories then go for OEM chrome handle items.
These chrome covers are not considered OEM... they are not original equipment with the car... they're an accessory made by a third party vendor for MB to make more money.

But were your clear covers dealer installed?... or did you buy them? If so, please, where did you buy them?

PS... by the way... 3M's foam double sided adhesive pads that are used by MB and other companies for these aftermarket items do act like sponges and retain water.. plus the large gap created by the tape does allow dirt and debris to build up under the cover where there is no adhesive, unlike the small, thin & narrow MB Star and other (GLK) name plates. These have no empty spaces to *fill-up* with debris. If you use silicone to seal them up, condensation and moisture will be trapped underneath and will promote rust... so that's not a good idea. Besides, the clear silicone will yellow and look cheap and horrible after a while.

One more thing. It is a known fact that ALL clear coats swell-up under these double-sided 3M foam pads so if you ever decide to take them off say after a few years, the clear coat that was beneath the pad will be raised.... this is a well known fact.... so consider yourself warned.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 AM

glk
Originally Posted by dwlovell
If your wife's nails can scratch the clear coat, I would be afraid.

That said, I have a white GLK without the appearance package and loving the white/black contrast look, so I passed on the chrome inserts. If you like the chrome look..go for it.
try any black car...you dun't even need long nails to scratch them.
and oh no, they look bad!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pipicyx
try any black car...you dun't even need long nails to scratch them.
and oh no, they look bad!

This is true, but MB uses a new type of super hard clear coat... (see forum thread about this) that resists scratches more than any other on the market. Besides.. unless finger nails are made of steel, they rarely if ever dig deep through the clear coat and into the color base coat. I simply use a little Turtle Wax White Polish on a damp cloth to remove all those unsightly scratches... looks brand new and takes less than a minute.