GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Lower the Open Tailgate an Inch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Lower the Open Tailgate an Inch?

Is it possible to lower the height of the fully-open tailgate only an inch or so? I know it is possible as described in the owner manual to lower the full-open position 8 or more inches. But I just need it an inch lower when open to ensure that it does not hit my garage door frame if I totally screw up and back out of the garage with the tailgate open.

I seems that the opening height is limited by the full extension of the gas-filled "shocks" rather than a separate bump stop. But there is no way to limit or adjust their travel extension. Perhaps the motor drive has an adjustment or there is some other way to limit the upward travel by a small amount.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350-premium pks,Bi-zenons,NAVI,OEM Hitch, Stepboards etc..
Originally Posted by slk55er
Is it possible to lower the height of the fully-open tailgate only an inch or so? I know it is possible as described in the owner manual to lower the full-open position 8 or more inches. But I just need it an inch lower when open to ensure that it does not hit my garage door frame if I totally screw up and back out of the garage with the tailgate open.

I seems that the opening height is limited by the full extension of the gas-filled "shocks" rather than a separate bump stop. But there is no way to limit or adjust their travel extension. Perhaps the motor drive has an adjustment or there is some other way to limit the upward travel by a small amount.

as it is described, minimum is 8inch.
I've also tried to open just in 2~4 inch but wasn't possible.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by slk55er

Same issue as I had. It cannot lower by 1-2 inches. 8 or more is too low my head will hit the door when its open. I was thinking of adding a mechanical stopper myself, but hadn't have time to look into it yet.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
i'm assuming it's not power?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by veerodder
i'm assuming it's not power?
It is powered. It appears that the final inch or so of upward travel is not really powered, per se. Rather it is simply motion due to the final extension of the gas-filled shocks.

I'll see if I can figure a way to mechanically limit the final travel of the gas-filled shocks or use a bump stop on the hinges.

Last edited by slk55er; 02-27-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-27-2010, 04:16 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
If you guys find a mechanical way of lowering the hatch opening by an inch or two, please come bak here and post about it.
Mine is not powered, but my wife, 5 foot nothin', can't reach the handle. I had to rig a rope so that she can close it.
Real classy.
(She had no problem with our 2003 Murano, an SUV that was larger)
Old 02-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
have you tried calling your MB dealer and seeing if they can adjust the range on the motor?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by veerodder
have you tried calling your MB dealer and seeing if they can adjust the range on the motor?
I have not asked a dealer. I have decided that it is not feasible to put a mechanical bump stop at the hinges -- the sheet metal on the roof is simply not strong enough to prevent the tailgate from rising. (Don't ask me how I know.)

I do note that on the side frames of the tailgate opening below the mounting point for the "shocks" there is another hole which could serve as an alternative location for the shock if there were a mounting pin there. This would lower the tailgate. Alternatively, shorter shocks (say 19" vs 21" or so) might serve the same purpose.

BTW -- Look for some photos of our GLK in Zion National Park that I'm going to post.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by RedRover
If you guys find a mechanical way of lowering the hatch opening by an inch or two, please come bak here and post about it.
Mine is not powered, but my wife, 5 foot nothin', can't reach the handle. I had to rig a rope so that she can close it.
Real classy.
(She had no problem with our 2003 Murano, an SUV that was larger)

I have the same problem. My wife is not able to reach the tailgate. So the salesman at the dealership suggested to use an (Mercedes Benz)umbrella (that he gave for free). So we leave the umbrella in the trunk. Whenever she wants to close the hatch, she pulls it down with the umbrella hooked to the handle inside the door.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 AM

GLK
This is an issue about the hatch for short people like me. once it open you need something to bring it down. Does MB knows that not all people are created equal?