GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Key Not Detected

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
Key Not Detected

Ok, so this morning I get in the car and head out to work. While I'm on the highway, I get "Key Not Detected" message in red and the car starts making a "Dinging" sound. I couldn't pull over so I just continued on to work with the continuous "Dinging". The whole way on the highway, I'm concerned that something may lock up of the engine might shut off. I make to work, shut the engine off and restart it without a problem. No more "Key Not Detected" message. WTF???

I know it can't be the keyfob battery as I've only had the car a month.

Have any of you guys experienced this? Any clue as to what it might be?
Obviously I have Keyless-Go. The car has just over 1,000Km on it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Taxidermist
Ok, so this morning I get in the car and head out to work. While I'm on the highway, I get "Key Not Detected" message in red and the car starts making a "Dinging" sound. I couldn't pull over so I just continued on to work with the continuous "Dinging". The whole way on the highway, I'm concerned that something may lock up of the engine might shut off. I make to work, shut the engine off and restart it without a problem. No more "Key Not Detected" message. WTF???

I had this problem before as well, I changed the batteries. After that, never saw that pop up again. I would try that route.

Bear in mind, those batteries in the FOB could have been sitting up for a while before you got the car.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM

2003 E320 Pewter KG
Been there. Changed batteries. No problem.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
Hasn't happened again over the last three days. even though I haven't changed the battery yet.

You guys are probably right...must be batteries. Just haven't experienced having to buy new FOB batteries in a car that I've only had for a month before. My 2005 Acura and my 2007 Infiniti (Keyless entry/start) both purchased new / factory ordered are both still running on original batteries.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Happening to me too, twice in the last week. What's funny is that it won't unlock with door with "touch" but the unlock button on fob works fine. Obviously won't start car with Key Not Detected showing on the dash, but if I get out, shut the door, and reopen it, all works fine.

Car was built in 11/14, I got it in Feb 2015 (almost a year old).
Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by Taxidermist

What makes you think the battery was ever changed.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The Mercedes FOB batteries - Panasonic brand - unfortunately Panasonic "moved" their battery factory to Indonesia 4-5 yrs ago. As a result - the Indonesia battery - same "spec" - has higher/faster failure rate than their original CR2025 made in Japan.

Please understand the small battery busines has a PLAGUE of nonsense - it's probably the most counterfeited/scam electronics item there is.

Any owner should do themselves a favor - the ONLY genuine Japanese CR2025 really out there is the Maxell CR2025 in HOLGRAM PACKAGE only - 5 for about $2.70 :

Amazon.com: CR2032 Maxell LITHIUM 5 BATTERIES: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: CR2032 Maxell LITHIUM 5 BATTERIES: Health & Personal Care

Put the problem behind you for the next 10 years with a $2.70 5-pack and rest easy..