GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Advice and Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Thumbs up Advice and Question

Well I got the call today my car is on its way from Georgia to Florida, but the Ipod package was not installed at the factory.Dealer says they can have it done at the dealer, or just take it off invoice..I have an older Ipod that is linked to my home Bose.. I very rarely use it other then the beach or house..so why do I need it..???Also how hard is it to move the music in my laptop to the storage drive in the radio,,I have about 3000 songs since I can store it on the cars hard drive why would I need the Ipod (advice)?

Is it worth getting the tire wheel insurance, they do not cove scratches, they only cover if the tire will not seal on a damaged wheel.I understand thet these are AMG wheels. but unless you buy the $1500. wheel package it does not cover the wheel..just tires and what really do they cover on tires???

Now that I see the Running boards on a dealer car I think I made a mistake..you will always hit them when you get out of car, and they are probaly a ***** to clean??? Yes or No??

The Foreman in service still believes in old school..change oil every 4000 miles and rotate tires.. I noticed that the tires are the same size all around, not two different sizes like I was earlier informed. He did say to put the car into spoert mode from day one and drive it hard..if it breaks it will be fixed, if not the computer will remember your way of driving and it will be better performance.

Just a note..Fog Lamps have to be manually turned on, but they will shut down when you turn car off even if you have not turned the switch back.

How Much is the rear floor mat and which is the best one to get???

ThaNKS FOR YOUR HELPPS..GLK 350 JUST ADDED TO CONSUMER'S 2010 BEST BUY LIST!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
1st you can't move songs from a memory stick to the hard drive unless they changed you don't have that option. You can only move from CD's to the HD.
I did not get the tire wheel insurance, I've had mine for a year and no problem.
Did not want to get the running boards for that reason a B**ch to clean.
Mobile 1 is expensive, I buy the oil take it to my mechanic and it still costs around $80. MB gets around $220 with a tire rotation. 5K for tire rotation.
Fog Lights go off when car is turned off.
The rear cargo mat from MB was $105.00
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
get PCMCIA adapter and 8 or 16 gig SD card and keep in your car, much better solution than having ipod IMO

I have wheel/tire insurance for 5 years for 1200 bux. I rolled it into my monthly payament at 2% financing, which added 20 bux. I was afraid of tire bubles but these tires seem to holding up quite well. On the other hand if you blow out one tire and bend rim your insurance pays for itself. All depends how much you dirve, how you drive, and how bad the roads you drive on. In my case I said, if I never have to use it that would be great.

Oil changes are every10k miles, keep in mind it's synthetic oil so no need to change it every 4k like with regular oil.

As far as break-in. I read this and I have no idea if it's true but made sense to me. Take it easy first few hundred miles: tranny, axels, suspension, and brakes have to break-in. Next few hundred miles let engine spin rather than keeping always low RPMs (that's why I drove in S from day one as "C" keeps gears too low all the time). ALWAYS make sure engine is warm for sprited driving and take it easy while it's warming up. When engine is warm do a few occasional high revs whenever you dirve but not so engine starts getting warmer than ususal.

As far as computer remembering anything, you can reset it back to factory at later point and it'll re-learn. Search C-forums for how it's done.

Enjoy GLK and don't foget to post pics.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
NYC GLK QUESTION

Being an Ex new yorker, I always drive hard,, the FX45 coming off lease is my second one , kicked *** with it from the beginning, and it stayed that way..IF IT BREAks they will fix it..but I will take it a little slower...I dont know what you mean by get PCMCIA adapter and 8 or 16 gig SD card and keep in your car, much better solution than having ipod IMO..what is this???? I was led to believe you can download music off your computer, and put it on some card and store it on the hard drive, with the up-graded Harmon Kardon Radio???? How do you do the above,,so tomorrow I wont install the Ipod wires???tire package I have to think about it..OIl changes, I have mobil one in my car now and I still change at 4000 miles,,probably stupid and throwing away $$$$..get back to me on this radio thing..Running boards too late cannot take them off , because it would be missing the lower mouldings.Tx Dan
Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Car comes with PCMCIA slot ( same thing as in laptop). So you buy PCMCIA adopter for 20 bux, which goes in that slot and then you can insert a memory card. I use SD card from my camera.

There is no way to copy onto hardrive. You can only do that with regular cds

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-08-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

PMCIA Adapter

OK so we load the music on the SD Card, then plug into thee adapter,and tghen plug into radio,,, so now you are driving around with a wire hanging and banging around outside your radio??? Doe the radio show you the songs that are on the sd card???tx Dan
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Why invest in a PCMCIA use a thumb drive. Load all your music onto it and just plug it in and go. The COMAND system displays all your folders and the music inside them. If you have an MP3 player you can do the same but the contol is in the MP3 player. If you like your music you have many options you will find whats right for you just enjoy your new ride. I turned in my FX for a GLK and and never looked back.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

Thumb Drive

OK this is another twist, a regular thumbdrive will plug into the front of the radio, and it will be able to read the thumbdrive and play all the music???How does it list the music?? like a file open the file and play, and does the control on the steering wheel proceed to the next song??? confused as H--L
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 PM

The thumb drive sits in the glove box not in the dash. And yes the system reads the drive and either runs sequentially in the folder that is open or it can be set for random. There are 3 cables that sit in the glove box. One is for the IPod. The other is a dual cord for MP3 and thumb drive.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Thats the problem

They forgaot to wire it at the factory for the Ipod, they can do it at the dealer but they said it will cost them big bucks, so I was told I can load the music into the radio's Hard drive, and I gujess this is why I need the PMCIA set up..but dont like the fact that it sits hanging from the radio.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
nothing hangs out it sits flush...right under "on" button

I displays everything by folder just like you would have it organized on your PC. Just drug folders over on the SD card and they all will be on the SD card. Also 16 gig card should fit enough music (more than 6 GIG Command hard driver anyways)

PCMCIA adopter is 20 bux on ebay, SD card is about 40. Loads quick (quicker than CD) and navigating through the card is pretty easy and switching to songs/folders is instant.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-08-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

NYC Thanks

NYC thanks for the photo!!! still a little bit confused..The PMCIA aqdapter is in the slot, and the xd card fits into it??? then when you open it can you tansfer from the XD card into the radio's hard drive???Tx Dan
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
no, you can't. Nobody figured a way yet to do this on new US Command. You can only rip music CDs onto hard drive.

You just leave the SD card in just like you see it in the picture. SD card is your new hard drive in a sense.

Just so you have better idea, but SD card goes in all the way.