GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

PCMA CARD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
PCMA CARD

Since they forgot to install the ipod connection, they gave me a MB pcma card and a 2gb sd card..I bought an 8 gb sd card today and it wont work, took everything to Comp USA and they said PCMA card was not capable of reading a high capacity SD card ,has anyone experienced this??? Wonder if I bought an after Market PCMA card with a 8gb SD card would it work???
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
yea it shoud, I had 8 and 16 Gig cards working fine. 8 and 16 gig are high capacity sd (SDHC) so maybe this particular MB PCMCIA adapter does recognize SDHC cards.

I think this is what I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCMCIA-Card-Read...item27ae58fc83
Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
I have the MB PCMCIA Card and I use it with an 8GB SDHC card. Works fine. You might want to check what how the card is formatted before you copy any music to it. I have yet to try a 16GB SDHC card, as the one I purchased was dead.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
PCMIA CARD

ok what do you advise me to do???I will go and buy an 8gb card and what should I do when I format it???Do I buy any card in particular??? tx Dan
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 AM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
yea it shoud, I had 8 and 16 Gig cards working fine. 8 and 16 gig are high capacity sd (SDHC) so maybe this particular MB PCMCIA adapter does recognize SDHC cards.

I think this is what I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCMCIA-Card-Read...item27ae58fc83
I thought I should chime in on this since. Just Friday I received this card from the same EBay seller. What I received was a not the same card which you have pictured. Even the sellers picture for the auction still looks the same as your picture. But what I received was a White and Green labeled card and it does not work. No matter what I try. Even formatting makes no difference. When I put the card into my thinkpad, the system looks for a driver. There is not a driver anywhere out there anywhere that I know of. The strangest thing is that the computer does not ask for a driver until I put the SD Card into the slot. So PCMCIA in computer is ok. But add the SD Card then it wants driver.

I emailed the seller and they were somewhat helpful. They told me the card I got is their newest upgraded card. LOL

I have tried 3 different brand SD Cards "none larger than 2GB" and the Comand system tells me "no playable files".

Can you tell us what Brand SD card you are using? Maybe it just needs a more specific brand?

Let me know NYC

Last edited by cyberglk350; 04-05-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

PCMIA CARDS

Mercedes brand of Readers are not capable of reading anything over 2gb's..because they become a "High Cap" card..I was told I have to find a Hi-Cap reader to dom this.. At first I could not put in more then 115 songs on the card, but I re-formated the card and was able to get on close to 300 songs,,I think the size of the music file and the format they are in is what makes the difference..
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by cyberglk350
I thought I should chime in on this since. Just Friday I received this card from the same EBay seller. What I received was a not the same card which you have pictured. Even the sellers picture for the auction still looks the same as your picture. But what I received was a White and Green labeled card and it does not work. No matter what I try. Even formatting makes no difference. When I put the card into my thinkpad, the system looks for a driver. There is not a driver anywhere out there anywhere that I know of. The strangest thing is that the computer does not ask for a driver until I put the SD Card into the slot. So PCMCIA in computer is ok. But add the SD Card then it wants driver.

I emailed the seller and they were somewhat helpful. They told me the card I got is their newest upgraded card. LOL

I have tried 3 different brand SD Cards "none larger than 2GB" and the Comand system tells me "no playable files".

Can you tell us what Brand SD card you are using? Maybe it just needs a more specific brand?

Let me know NYC
I have one with green sticker also.

Maybe you need SDHC SD card (8 or 16gig) I've used two SanDisks (8 and 16 gig) from my DSLR. Worked fine. About to try 16gig kingston. I never tried putting PCMCIA into laptop, as my computer has SD card reader. Borrow 8 gig one from somebody and see if it works.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 PM

GLK 350
I just picked up this PCMCIA card

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...33&cid=FMD.434

and a 16 GB Compact Flash (the PCMCIA adapter is for compact flash only).

Copied my contacts (from a Macbook with Address book) and all my mp3's and everything worked perfectly.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
n8nu, I did the same thing and it worked perfectly. Was wondering if you found a PCMCIA to handle SDHC cards in the GTA.

SDHC appear to be more readily available and I have them everywhere but had to buy a CF just for the GLK. After a while we may want to start using SDHC but have not found a PCMCIA for them in the GTA.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 PM

GLK 350
I didn't find any other than the one from Canada Computer... didn't want to order from Ebay. In the end I figure I won't be using it much other than for the address book since I've burned my mp3's to DVD and have an iPod.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM

GLK350
I have the MB PCMCIA Adapter that takes an SD Card. I have a Transcend 8GB SD card that I purchased from Amazon about a year or two ago. It is blue and says Class 6 on it (I have no idea what that means). I formatted the card as FAT32. Copied songs to it, plugged it in the PCMCIA Adapter and my GLK350X plays the music just fine.

Here is a link to the card on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Memo...1195231&sr=8-2
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by GEMINIDAN
Since they forgot to install the ipod connection, they gave me a MB pcma card and a 2gb sd card..I bought an 8 gb sd card today and it wont work, took everything to Comp USA and they said PCMA card was not capable of reading a high capacity SD card ,has anyone experienced this??? Wonder if I bought an after Market PCMA card with a 8gb SD card would it work???
Make sure you format the card as FAT16 (FAT) or FAT32. NTFS will not work.

I use a 8GB compactflash with a PCMCIA=>CompactFlash adapter and it works fine. Its probably the adapter you are using or the file system on the card.

PCMA CARD-filesystem.jpg
Old 04-17-2010, 06:22 PM

2010 GLK350 4Matic / 2007 Infiniti G35S / 2005 Acura TL - All of them Loaded
Originally Posted by cyberglk350
I know this is an old discussion but find that it's silly that one has to order a cheap old tech product from Hong Kong to use in their German vehicle.
Am still looking for a bricks and mortor retailer for an HCSD to PCMCIA in Canada. Don't need the hassle of a Hong Kong supplier sending crap. Honestly can't understand why MB went with a PCMCIA at all. Old technology, difficult to find.

Has anyone out there been able to find a PCMCIA to handle HCSD cards in Canada?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I bought the same card from the same seller, although mine also looks different - white and green. It worked for me the first time I inserted it, but hasn't worked ever since. I keep getting "No Playable Files" message. I can't figure out what I did differently the first time around...

Tried several different cards too, SD as well as SDHC.

Last edited by Pete7874; 04-27-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Moreover, I just looked up the specs for this adapter, and it doesn't mention SDHC support anywhere. I'm gonna contact the seller to see what is up with that, but so far this has been a crappy purchase experience. I wish local stores would still carry these PCMCIA adapters.