Brake Pedal Feel -- Alternative Pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Brake Pedal Feel -- Alternative Pads?

This is a discussion topic on Benzworld and I've carried it over to here:

Compared to our GLK, the brakes on my CLS550 have a much superior feel, particularly upon initial application. I'm a long-time BMW enthusiast and owner since 1968 (one of the 1st 2002 models.) The GLK is our 3rd MB and although I am now firmly in the MB camp, I still appreciate the wonderful driving characteristics of BMWs, particularly the brakes.

The January '10 issue of ROUNDEL, the BMW Club's monthly magazine, included an article "X3 versus GLK" and it was extremely complimentary to the GLK, particularly compared to aging (soon to be upgraded and enlarged) X3. Unlike the MB Club's STAR magazine which rarely criticizes MB products, the ROUNDEL pulls no punches regarding BMW vehicles.

The ROUNDEL's did properly note that the GLK's V6 "produces great power throughout the rev range, but overall, is not as smooth as the inline six in the BMW. But the most significant and appropriate major criticism was about the GLK's brakes:

"But accelerating and handling are only part of a car's sporting nature, and must be combined with equally good brakes that instill a level of confidence. Unfortunately this isn't the case with the Mercedes. When you press on the brakes, the first impression is that you'll never stop. So you apply more pressure in a fit of panic, and then the GLK pitches forward and brakes very quickly; the first few sudden stops on the freeway can be really disconcerting for everyone on board. Eventually you lean to modulate them, but overall they let the sporting nature of the vehicle down."

I have to agree completely with this assessment. I am wondering and hoping that some alternative front brake pads could overcome this deficiency. Does anyone have any experience with non-stock pads on the GLK?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
how many miles do you have? They get better over time. Brakes is the first thing I noticed test driving new GLK with vere few miles. When I test drove another one later on with more miles I didn't have the same experience when slamming on the brakes.

Brakes are perfectly fine if you look at the stopping distance. I actually like the fact that they don't grab the rotors on the slightest push.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-24-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Yes, I was part of this discussion over there as well..... Most there (and here) wish for less dust, less noise etc.... with very little regard for actual performance. Ceramic pads are fine for this but there are trade offs.... The OEM pad is a semi-metallic pad and there are good reasons for this (stopping power for one). The OEM rotor is not the correct formula for ceramic pads either but will work.... cross drilled, slotted rotors etc have severe trade offs when used off the track and on the street. (We racing folks replace these rotors after EVERY race). A stock USA GLK is NOT a performance car/truck/SUV etc. It's a small family box vehicle with a mid-size V6 and soft all season tires (20's included). Why anyone wishes to place racing style calipers/pads/and rotors on it to improve it's brakes is shear nonsense IMO. Save your money.... take your wife/girl out for a night on the town... sure the brakes are so-so.... and so what? They're more than what the truck can use anyway!

So I would recommend Centric Posi-Quiet pads in either semi-metallic or ceramic compounds should work just fine for the street... just remember the trade-offs.

http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...ule&Itemid=174

Good luck
Old 05-02-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
how many miles do you have? They get better over time. Brakes is the first thing I noticed test driving new GLK with vere few miles. When I test drove another one later on with more miles I didn't have the same experience when slamming on the brakes.

Brakes are perfectly fine if you look at the stopping distance. I actually like the fact that they don't grab the rotors on the slightest push.
When did your brake feel get better? I have 100 miles on the car and the brake travel before engaging is still a little concerning. My dealer says that all MB SUVs have the same issue.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
from the start, my brakes have felt great...
Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by themundy
When did your brake feel get better? I have 100 miles on the car and the brake travel before engaging is still a little concerning. My dealer says that all MB SUVs have the same issue.
compared to C class, it is concerning. C class had very touchy brakes. Just push the pedal harder, brakes are there. Also keep in mind it's 4200 pound car.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:17 AM

GLK
This issue was brought out during the test drive in Germany by one of the editor. By driving one car to the next, you will tell right away that GLK behave different. Mechanically there was nothing wrong in the system. It was made like this and the more you drive it, more you get used to it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 AM

2010 GLK 350
The brakes on this vehicle are horrible... Why should have to use so much pressure to slow this thing down.... I did not like them from the moment I drove it, nor do I like them today.... Horrible brakes....

I got the same, "that's how they are" from the stealership.... Can't believe that is the best that they could do on this ride....
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Bringing back an old Stream. I just looked up in AllData, and MB suggests that the front brake pads wear at 4,000 km/mm and the rears at 6,000 km/mm. If the pads are 19.5 mm when new, and you must reduce this by 3mm for binder, and the min wear limit is 2mm ( wear indicator at 2.3mm) then usable to wear indicator should be 14.2 mm or 56800 Km (35,000 miles). I passed that without the indicator coming on but my disks are now undersize.
I am going to replace with Centric 125.35080 Hi Carbon disks and Centric 105.14060 ceramic pads for a 2010 GLK350AWD. These are the same front disks used on an E550. I like Akebono pads, but thought I might try the matched set of Centric's. Cost with shipping is $207 . If the dealer didn't put the front wheels on with a torqued out air wrench, should take about 1-1/2 hours. Dealer wanted $650.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
I switched to the Akebono Ceramic pads with new rotors back in March! Very happy I did! While I'll state that the stopping power was not 'noticeably' different, the wheels stay CLEAN. Never will I use a set of MB pads again, just constantly dirty wheels. I found that the original rotors were chewed up pretty bad, one having some 'out of round' pulsation even though I had plenty of pad left.
Braking is good, wear is fine, rotors included, and ..... wheels are clean!!!
my .02
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
When it is brake time which may be soon, I will go over to a ceramic pad & a slotted rotor but I will also add SS brake hoses. Had this set-up on another car & thoroughly enjoyed the change in pedal feel & braking response.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK250 BT
I like the feel of the factory brakes and pads, but like others, I find they do give off a lot of dust.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
First vehicle I ever had that wore out the front disks before the front pads. Put in a set of Centric High Carbon Rotor-Preferred and Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic w/ Shims and Hrdwr-P . I have used Akebono in the past for ceramic but thought I would give the new Centric's a try. For the 2010 GLK 30389-05259661 $77.25 each and 30389-05258303 $44.25 respectively from Parts Geek. The rotors have a very nice center black coating.
I picked up a good deal at Harbor Freight on a 17” 3/8 drive breaker bar for $8.99 and a 7 piece 3/8 drive metric spine set for $9.99 . The metric spline set is a must have for a full pad/disk job. My grandson had transferred most of my tools to his house for work on his '67 mustang so I needed some new stuff.
Job took about 2 hours with most of the time heating the old disks to get them off. I saw a trick on U-tube where you put some bolts through the caliper frame mounting holes to force the disk off. Unfortunately these holes are such that they don't hit the flat disk area and being a 4 matic, i couldn't rotate the wheel.
There was a lot of pad left at 36,000 miles but the disk thickness was undersize. The disks seemed fairly soft from the hammer marks I put in them.
Dealer wanted $650,got away with about $200 and 2 hours. I like to think of getting paid $225 an hour or about twice my dealer rate.
It is a little early but so far no squeal and good pedal feel. Should eliminate the dust also. Have not noticed a bias to the rear due to ceramics on front and original on rears.