GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Invisible Mask Installed - Photos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Invisible Mask Installed - Photos

Here are photos from my installation of 2 Mask Kits from Invisible Mask http://www.invisiblemask.com. I ordered the "Hood, Fender and Mirror Kit" ($125) and the "Bumper Kit" ($138). I've installed the film myself on 5 or 6 of my vehicles and have been very glad to have done so, particularly when traveling in Colorado where a lot of sand and gravel quickly chips paint.

A very helpful DVD is included, providing good demonstration of the installation technique. I've ordered 24" rolls of the film and cut pieces myself for my CLS and SLK, but I recommend spending the extra money and buying the pre-cut kits. With these 2 kits, the entire front of the vehicle and 1/4 of the hood is covered. (You may have seen my separate post about covering the headlights with a thicker film.)

The photos show the contents of the kit -- two rolls of pre-cut film, 2 spray bottles (one for soapy water and one for a water/alcohol mix), a squeegee, a lint-free rag, and a syringe to drain large bubbles.

One photo shows some small remaining bubbles on the hood which I will leave alone 'cause the trapped moisture will evaporate from there within a week or so. Another photo shows an intermediate step in the installation process of one of the bumper kit pieces. The last photos show the finished product on the bumper.

I highly recommend these products -- you can do this!
Attached Thumbnails Invisible Mask Installed - Photos-contents.jpg   Invisible Mask Installed - Photos-bubbles.jpg   Invisible Mask Installed - Photos-ripples.jpg   Invisible Mask Installed - Photos-finished2.jpg   Invisible Mask Installed - Photos-finished3.jpg  

Last edited by slk55er; 04-09-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Well, I've never attempted to do it myself.
But I had it done professionally on my 2003 Murnao. ($600 the front, the hood, the lights, Rear bumper cargo protector, and the mirrors)
I removed the film when I traded the car (Took 30 minutes with a hair dryer) and the dealer was amazed at how clean the car was.
Not a single chip or scratch after 7 years.
He should have seen the old film.....
One thing that I note, is that you did not do the mirrors........that film was probably the worst, along with the bottom bumper piece.......
Old 04-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by RedRover
One thing that I note, is that you did not do the mirrors........that film was probably the worst, along with the bottom bumper piece.......
Actually, I did do the mirrors and it is one of the more difficult pieces to apply because of the curvature. These pieces come with the "Hood..." Kit. The pre-cut pieces even have the fingers that go in between the LED strips on the mirror. The DVD has a very helpful clip specifically on the mirror installation (use the alcohol mixture to tack down corners and stretch the film.)

Last edited by slk55er; 04-10-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: addition