GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

bulb questions! help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 300
bulb questions! help!

Hello guys! I'm from ARGENTINA, used to live in shiny california. I recently bought a GLK 300 4matic. Options over here are quite a bit different than the american models. My car is the "BASE" model with no panoramic sunroof but it has leather and its a 4x4. My car comes with the proyector headlights but no xenon. So here is my question. I try messing with the headlight to see which lights to change and everything. While I was messing with the parking lights the high beam bulb got disconnected and it freaking took me like an hour to put it back in! Theres no room at all!. Is there a easy way to change the bulbs the driver side is even more difficult! To owners with aftermarket HIDS did you huys have to but the error cancellers? Also did you guys had to make a hole for the covers? Any help its much appreciated! thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
First, I assume you mean a GLK350. Second, no easy way to get to the bulbs, it is difficult but can be done. I had an HID kit installed and no, HID kits come with ballasts so no error cancelers needed, but yes they had to make a hole in the cover. I love the look the HID's give and I am now going to do the fog lights with an HID Kit. I had my other bulbs changed to match the HID white. You can look at my pictures on my profile. They are LED lights (with error cancelers) that give it that Xenon look.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM

GLK 300
Nope GLK 300 for us! So with HIDS kits doesnt need an error canceller? I wanted to put HIDs but I dont wanna make a whole through the cover... its gonna mess with the warranty... Also when I turn off the car parking and fog lights turn on until I lock the car... so pretty annoying! So theres no other way than EFFING up my hands putting a freaking bulb?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
My apologies, GLK300 it is! Yup, no easy way around it. I would think the only issue concerning the warranty is you have to buy and change your own bulb if an HID bulb ever needs to be replaced. I just had my car into the Mercedes dealer on Saturday for a "customer appreciation inspection" and the mechanic loved my lights and was surprised about the LED's not giving an error message. He never mentioned any warranty issues. I suppose you could always buy new covers as a service part if you wanted to ever go back to the halogen bulbs.

The lights you mentioned do come on at night which is exactly why I want to replace the fog lights with HID's. To get to the fog bulbs you have to remove the plastic cover under the car bumper and oil pan. Then you can easily get to the bulbs.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM

GLK 300
Thanks for the fast response! So If I put those LED bulbs it'll throw a error message? I heard the LEDs are bright but they're dont illuminate that far. Is that right? I'm thinking of putting HID's once warranty its over.. Over here warranty last only for 2 years... My freaking car costs 51 and its the base model... The one with ur wheels and panoramic sunroof, roof racks and paddle shifts costs 71k... Wish I had ur wheels! BTW I like ur car!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Thank you! My car cost $40K US. You are right, the LED's are bright but they don't have to illuminate any distance. I only use LED's for the "eyebrow" and side lamp/parking lamp bulbs. You have to buy LED's made for European cars so you don't get the error message. I bought them over the internet at www.iJDMtoy.com. They have LED's especially for the GLK 350.
Post a few picks of your GLK, would love to see.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 AM

2010 GLK350
I had my HID installed, through the fender wells, on a hoist, it was so much easier to work on it from there.

-ed
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM

GLK 300
How do I access there?

Does anyone know how to remove the bumper?