GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Extended Warranty: To get or not...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by mac911
What sucks is when I buy extended warranties, I don't use them.

When I don't buy them, something happens 1 month after warranty. Same for computers, cars, phones, etc. of mine.

This is why it's very imprtant to start a repair fund if you can afford it. Add up what you would pay for all your extended warranties, roll them into an highest interest account you can find, or short term CD, etc. then add $25-$50 every month/quarter until the day comes you need a repair... then tap into the fund!

By the way, did you all know that when you buy electronics, computers etc. with a Plat. MasterCard it automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty? I've used it many times... Recently my Plat.MC replaced my Apple MacBook Pro at no charge 5 months after Apple's warranty expired.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MBRedux
By the way, did you all know that when you buy electronics, computers etc. with a Plat. MasterCard it automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty? I've used it many times... Recently my Plat.MC replaced my Apple MacBook Pro at no charge 5 months after Apple's warranty expired.
That's cool, now only if it applied to cars also...
Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by MBRedux
This is why it's very imprtant to start a repair fund if you can afford it. Add up what you would pay for all your extended warranties, roll them into an highest interest account you can find, or short term CD, etc. then add $25-$50 every month/quarter until the day comes you need a repair... then tap into the fund!

This is a good point.

The only thing with Apple products is they will do a lot for you when you have Apple Care. Mighty Mouse get clogged a lot, and they just ship me out new ones with a box and postage to send the other one back. For my iPods/iPhones I've often needed my battery replaced during the extra apple care year, but on the iPhones and iPods they just give you a refurb then, so it's shiny again too.

Of course, Mercedes doesn't give you a shiny new Mercedes if you have an extended warranty and a problem occurs. ha-ha, so I got off topic, and I apologize.

I may have to make the decision soon my my W204 sedan. I'm a bit leery as it was the first year of the W204 (2008), but at the same time, it seems it was a great car Mercedes put together.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM

GLK
Extended waranty is good if you happened to buy a used car. But MB has 4 yrs and if something will go wrong it will be within that years.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:49 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Wink

Agree with above. You should know within a 4-year time frame. You might consider getting GEICO Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (250 deductible for about $10-12 a month) which has saved many individuals a huge amount. We've had extended warranty on almost 5 vehicles and used it only once for a new transmission from Chrysler. Most times we cash what's left when we trade or sell and now don't even consider the extended warranty. Two choices!!! Trade/Sell the vehicle before the normal warranty runs out or bank $25-50 a month for a Car Repair Fund. If you don't use it, then consider using it as a down payment on a new one or take a vacation as suggested earlier.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Originally Posted by QSHIP
Extended waranty is good if you happened to buy a used car. But MB has 4 yrs and if something will go wrong it will be within that years.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

The first time to worry about Auto Failure rate (Or any failure rate) is in the first year..or even in the first month.....as we have what is known as infant mortality. This is when parts that may indeed last for a million cycles, give up the ghost in the first few cycles due to unseen internal defects.
Once the various parts and pieces survive the IM period. we reach a period of reasonably stable operation.
However then the graph turns into a hockey stick as the Failure rate increases with age/usage.

Here is a discussion of Failure rates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_rate

And here is a quote from that article.
"For example, as an automobile grows older, the failure rate in its fifth year of service may be many times greater than its failure rate during its first year of service."

Believe me, it is not an accident that the very time you need a warranty, you don't have one.
If the statistics indicated that it was the 6th year that things started going to pot....MB would warranty the car for 5.......
That's business.

Buying an extended warranty is actually dependent on your POV.

If, Like Consumer Reports does, you look at it as a win/lose then you probably should not buy a warranty.
If, OTOH, you view it as an insurance policy, much like the property insurance on your home, then you might consider it for peace of mind.