GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Wood Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Wood Cleaning

What is everyone using to keep the wood shiny and clean???
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350 4Matic Calcite White/Beige ,Prem pkg,Navi,RV Cam, HK Logic 7, 20" Wheels, Media Int
I was wondering the same thing... I've just been using a Clean hot damp buffing towel/rag. Any advice on cleaning navigation screen? My sales guy said "Just use windex it's like a computer monitor" BUTI would never use windex on my computer monitor. So I've been cleaning it just like the wood.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

GLK350
Lol, I wouldn't use windex, maybe microfiber cloth for navi?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Windex won't hurt. There is a coating on the wood to give it that high gloss. Probably a polymer.
Windex does have a little solvent in it (good for cutting grease....like fingerprints, etc) and of course has a surfactant.
Water can be used to clean, but water can only break down dirt so far.
This is caused by the surface tension of water that keeps the water beads from being any smaller.
A surfactant, breaks down the water tension, making the water beads much smaller and they can get behind dirt and lift it off better.

Besides, some of the Piano makers/sales recommend Windex to clean their pianos.
Even a steinway (cost of maybe $100,000) can be cleaned that way.
Note: some piano makers/sales recommend just a damp cloth.

As to screens......Short of buying a kit (available at any serious computer store) I have used a damp microfiber (Not wet) ever since microfiber became popular 4 or 5 years ago.....
The kits usually have an anti static wipe/spray in them. But I haven't noticed dust being a problem in recent years.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by Blizz
I was wondering the same thing... I've just been using a Clean hot damp buffing towel/rag. Any advice on cleaning navigation screen? My sales guy said "Just use windex it's like a computer monitor" BUTI would never use windex on my computer monitor. So I've been cleaning it just like the wood.
"... I've just been using a Clean hot damp buffing towel/rag": You are obviously doing the right thing, according to MB's recommendations. Note the GLK Operator's Manual:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/,
page 257.

"Any advice on cleaning navigation screen?": MB's advice with regard to the COMAND display is on page 256. Given the Windex is to be regarded as "a standard microfiber cloth", you should be well off.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Get some Quick Interior Detailer from Meguiar's.

It's good on all interior surfaces. It's just very mild though, so this is for light cleaning/dusting.

Also, use the softest microfiber you can find and don't use it, if you get it dirty, and use a dry one, for drying.

Be gentle.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM

GLK
Is this realy made of wood? Its too shinny and look like fake plastic,like the plastic chrome mouldings.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by QSHIP
Is this realy made of wood? Its too shinny and look like fake plastic,like the plastic chrome mouldings.
It's a wood veneer. So its a piece of wood thats about as thick as a piece of construction paper. The veneer is then glued to a plastic/mdf backing and encased in yet more plastic. So its going to be hard to actually hurt the finish, the worst you could do would be to put swirls in the plastic coating if you went crazy on it with something rough and gritty.

I don't know of any company using anything other than wood veneers anymore. Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maybach, they all use veneers, granted they are of much better quality and higher end woods, but they are still veneers.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:42 AM

GLK
My other car Lexus uses real wood that came in the same pile so they have the same grains used in car.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
My cadillac is thick, real, wood. They used to have a display at the dealer, of the wood and the different steps it went thru.
Are you saying the GLK wood around the glove compartment (for instance) is just plastic filler with a wood veneer?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Murphys Oil Soap Wood Cleaner"

I found a product called "Murphy's Oil Soap Wood Cleaner wipes" works good..wipe it on and I buffed off the liquid..cannot hurt anything..
Old 06-06-2010, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by RedRover
My cadillac is thick, real, wood. They used to have a display at the dealer, of the wood and the different steps it went thru.
Are you saying the GLK wood around the glove compartment (for instance) is just plastic filler with a wood veneer?
Yes in most cases the larger wood trim in high end luxury cars use wood veneers. Check out this video of the Rolls Phantom, they explain how its done, but in the case of a Rolls a lot of the smaller trim pieces are still real wood, just the larger ones use the veneer process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldzMVqSgTT4