GLK CREAKING NOISES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 glk
GLK CREAKING NOISES

Hello Everyone.
I have had my GLK for 1 month now. 1 week into my new car I noticed a creaking/rattling noise from both the driver and passenger side doors whenever I went over bumps and hills. I took the car in and the service shop lubed the car and sent me home and told me it was attributed to the tinting job I got done on my front windows. The car was silent for one day and then the noises started again. It's hard to pinpoint the exact noises but the noises are getting more prominent and driving me crazy! It's been into service two more times for 3 days at a time. They "felted" and "padded" the interior doors and the last time they said the noises were eliminated. They can't tell me if these noises are "normal" or not but how can creaking noises on a brand new Mercedes be normal? The car is now creaking even when driving on flat roads and not just limited to hills and bumps and every time I take it in they do something else to make my car crappy i.e. oil stains, bent frames, etc...Does anyone have this problem with their new GLK?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
several people have had issues with the plastic on the doors creaking, mainly the handle to close the door. i guess check to see if anything on the doors is loose or maybe to tight? don't let the dealer try to blame it on the tint, that's just a b/s way of trying to get ride of you. do a search on the forum for noisy or creaking doors
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM

2010 glk
GLK CREAKING NOISES

Thanks for the reply. There is no way that the noise is attributed to the tinting, as soon as the service advisor said that I escalated the issue to the service manager! I have seen other people's posts who have stated similar noises but our rattling/creaking is not from the handle bar...when I back out of my drive way it's like both windows/doors rattle and the lower body of the car creaks as I pull out...the service manager and both the foreman have heard the noises and were able to replicate the noises...I'm about to demand a new replacement!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
If they removed your door panels to get to the glass, chances are good they screwed something up when they put it all back together.

By the way.... everyone has an issue with creaking plastic door handles.... just wait for the cold winter.... you'll see.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Try adjusting seats

I had some creaking noise a while back. I thought it was coming from the passenger door but when i adjusted the seat it disappeared.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM

GLK
Mine creaks too!

My new GLK started to have creaking noises in the drivers door the first week of ownership and two weeks later the noises have appeared on the passenger side. This is awful. Drives you nuts. You'd think you were driving in a Hyundai or a Kia the noises are so bad. Sounds like the vehicle is made of lego. MB had better recall all of the GLK's with this problem if they wish to spare their reputation. That's if they even have a solution. There are many people with this identical problem. I could have bought an Audi, VW, Acura or BMW but opted for MB because of this beautiful GLK look and MB reputation. It takes years to make a reputation and one day to lose it. Right now, these horrible creaking noises have ruined my experience with this vehicle
Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by Scabby
My new GLK started to have creaking noises in the drivers door the first week of ownership and two weeks later the noises have appeared on the passenger side. This is awful. Drives you nuts. You'd think you were driving in a Hyundai or a Kia the noises are so bad. Sounds like the vehicle is made of lego. MB had better recall all of the GLK's with this problem if they wish to spare their reputation. That's if they even have a solution. There are many people with this identical problem. I could have bought an Audi, VW, Acura or BMW but opted for MB because of this beautiful GLK look and MB reputation. It takes years to make a reputation and one day to lose it. Right now, these horrible creaking noises have ruined my experience with this vehicle
Scabby, buy a can of 3M silicone spray and use the entire can coating all the rubber seals around all the doors and the rear hatch. No more creak. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Luckily never had that kind of problem with mine.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
i heard this problem with the BMW X3... the seals just dry up.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
What is the build date for your car? You can find that date printed on the VIN sticker found on the "B" Pillar at the drivers side of the car. My car was built April 2010 and it has not shown any signs of the problem. The other MB forums mentioned that the later build cars do not have this problem but the early build date ones that did have the problem seemed to have two distinct causes. The metal trim working loose from the door handle was the main issue. The other cause is likely caused by installing tint. The tint install usually involves removing the inside door trim so the tint film can be applied to the window below the edge of the rubber trim on the window opening so the edge of the tinting film doesn't catch on the trim strip every time the window is opened. Most places that do tinting seldom have the correct replacement clips that hold the inside door panels in place and they usually break at least one or two on each door when they pull the inside door panel off. That said it should be of interest to you that those clips should ALL be replaced whenever the door panel is removed. The plastic clips are stretched and deformed when the panel is pulled off because the clips were never intended to be reused. If the tint shop is going to do the job correctly they must replace all of the clips with new ones even if they appear to be OK.
The shop where my kid used to work when he was still in college would replace all the clips with new ones only if the customer complained about the door panel being loose or making noise. If one or two of the clips were broken during the install they normally were not replaced and the original mounting parts and clips were reused. Almost all of the cars that were tinted at his shop had huge sub boxes installed in the rear so it is unlikely anybody in those cars could hear a door squeaking.
If you have a problem with loose or missing clips because your door trim was removed for any reason you need to make sure you get all of the clips replaced with new ones at the same time. The damn thing is, those clips are not cheap and replacing a couple of doors worth can get real expensive.
On some early builds it appears that the only solution was to replace the door panels and all of the clips at the same time.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM

2010 glk
Originally Posted by MY2010GLK
Hello Everyone.
I have had my GLK for 1 month now. 1 week into my new car I noticed a creaking/rattling noise from both the driver and passenger side doors whenever I went over bumps and hills. I took the car in and the service shop lubed the car and sent me home and told me it was attributed to the tinting job I got done on my front windows. The car was silent for one day and then the noises started again. It's hard to pinpoint the exact noises but the noises are getting more prominent and driving me crazy! It's been into service two more times for 3 days at a time. They "felted" and "padded" the interior doors and the last time they said the noises were eliminated. They can't tell me if these noises are "normal" or not but how can creaking noises on a brand new Mercedes be normal? The car is now creaking even when driving on flat roads and not just limited to hills and bumps and every time I take it in they do something else to make my car crappy i.e. oil stains, bent frames, etc...Does anyone have this problem with their new GLK?
Had the same problem with the creaking in ALL the doors and in addition, a cricket type of noise from the driver door. Happened more frequently when driving on nothing short of a newly paved road (so essentially any bumpy road). Brought it in for service first time and they replaced the door clips...didn't work. Brought it in for service the second time and they fixed it!! Initially they tried spraying silicone on the rubber door seals, which didn't work, but they ended up replacing the seat belt on the driver side and readjusted the seals on the ALL doors and that works. THEY FIXED IT and the noises are now gone. Such a difference and now drives great!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM

2010 glk
Originally Posted by Scabby
Had the same problem with the creaking in ALL the doors and in addition, a cricket type of noise from the driver door. Happened more frequently when driving on nothing short of a newly paved road (so essentially any bumpy road). Brought it in for service first time and they replaced the door clips...didn't work. Brought it in for service the second time and they fixed it!! Initially they tried spraying silicone on the rubber door seals, which didn't work, but they ended up replacing the seat belt on the driver side and readjusted the seals on the ALL doors and that works. THEY FIXED IT and the noises are now gone. Such a difference and now drives great!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM

2010 glk
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM

97 S600 lorinser, 2010 Glk350 4matic
Creaking door handles sounded like Lego's

I had very creaking door handles on my 2010 GLK, it was driving me crazy, ever time i went over some bumps or my knee rested against the door handle, it sounded like some Lego pieces flexing, annoying cheap sounding creak that should come from a Kia. I took it into the dealer and complained about it on all the door handles, they put in a request to have them all replaced for me. I waited about a month before the parts came in and it took them a couple day to install them but the difference is night and day. They are solid as a rock now with no flex while grabbing them, and no sounds anymore. I am so happy that i took the time to actually have them change these out for me, I suggest you have the dealership take care of it asap because it is definitely curable.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:11 AM

GLK 300 4MATIC
Creaking noise

Originally Posted by NomolosTooqay
I had very creaking door handles on my 2010 GLK, it was driving me crazy, ever time i went over some bumps or my knee rested against the door handle, it sounded like some Lego pieces flexing, annoying cheap sounding creak that should come from a Kia. I took it into the dealer and complained about it on all the door handles, they put in a request to have them all replaced for me. I waited about a month before the parts came in and it took them a couple day to install them but the difference is night and day. They are solid as a rock now with no flex while grabbing them, and no sounds anymore. I am so happy that i took the time to actually have them change these out for me, I suggest you have the dealership take care of it asap because it is definitely curable.
Pls tell me that part name! Tks
Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM

97 S600 lorinser, 2010 Glk350 4matic
The numbers on the invoice are as listed as such

1 204-703-14-22
1 000-991-01-98

Inner door panels and arm rest parts and some clips
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NomolosTooqay
man this is going to help me out a whole lot...I just bought mine certified preowned with an extended warranty until 2016. and I just noticed that damn noise...its driving me crazy!!!
every time I touch the handle it feels like two flimsy pieces of plastic constantly rubbing...almost as if i squeeze it hard enough it would fall apart in my hands.
and my knee is constantly on it so as i move positions in my seat, its a cheap crappy sound...and since the car is so quiet with the windows up, its unbearable ...
BTW...im guessing this falls under the warranty...
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
My 2012 GLK developed some creaks in the aft area after about 14,000 miles. At first I thought it was coming from the rear seat head rests, or rear seats themselves. I tried folding the seats down as a test, but no change.

So, I paid a visit to the local auto parts store and purchased some silicon spray. Label stated good for rubber door seals. I applied it with a rag and rubbed it on rather than just hose down the seals directly and risk making a mess.

Results? No more creaks. Period. Took all of 5 minutes to apply to all 4 doors and tail gate. And it's invisible.

3.5L

Last edited by 3.5L; 12-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Well, took it to the dealership and they told me that the creaking is normal...all the GLKs do it and then the started showing me all the used GLKs on the lot and to my surprise they all had that same problem...what a bunch of crap...no amount of silicone is going to fix this problem it's just really crappy plastic parts...I'll try going to another dealership and see what they have to say about it...other than that the car runs and drives like a champ...no complaints other than that damn creaking.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
well, I took it to another dealer and mentioned the problem...they were reluctant to fix anything...***until I mentioned MBWORLD***
seems as though these forums are also a type of "yelp" were you can critique things...lol
well, the mood in the room changed and they talked it over with the floor manager and they ordered new door panels for free (under the existing warranty of course).
its a night and day difference guys...no more door creeks and shotty parts feel...every time i go for the door handle, it seems sturdy and of good quality (finally)
their answer to why they were going to do the replacement was that there would be no way to "fix" the problem, and if they did try to fix the existing part, it would most likely come back in the future...so a replacement door panel was in order.

my advice, is that if you have a problem, no matter how little, and your car is still under warranty...go to the dealer, state your problem, do a shout out to the MBworld forum, and kick back with a cup of free coffee, pastries, most likely a free rental and in the end a free car wash and your problem fixed...happy customer!!!

Last edited by erlomd; 01-20-2013 at 01:04 PM.