GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Incorrect toe-in caused tyre wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLK300
Incorrect toe-in caused tyre wear?

Hi, some of my friend's GLK have the same toe-wear of front tyres (only front), like below pictures. Mine doesn't.
Do you guys face the same issue, pls check it out?
Was that caused by incorrect toe-in?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
I don't have this wear, which more looks as damage of some kind or other, which as well is weird as you write "some of my friend's GLK", meaning more than one GLK(?).

I wonder whether more information, like kind of tyre, dimension, pressure (not at least!) miles etc. would be valuable for the assessment of the issue?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
From the looks of the tire and the wheel well, it looks like a case of bad driving. Is he driving through paint?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Tire pressure ?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 AM

MB GLK300
Hi,
Yes, it did happen to at least 3 friends of mine (in local GLK group). We're in asia and GLK is CKD assembled here from 100% genuine parts imported.
The tyre is Continental 235/50R19 (made in Czech),
The pressure is as per user guide.
Just 10K-20K miles in normal city driving (never offroad).

The MB service is investigating the issue but not yet confirmed. I just want to check if it's just a local issue by assembly quality or may happen in anywhere else.

Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
I don't have this wear, which more looks as damage of some kind or other, which as well is weird as you write "some of my friend's GLK", meaning more than one GLK(?).

I wonder whether more information, like kind of tyre, dimension, pressure (not at least!) miles etc. would be valuable for the assessment of the issue?
Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Just checked my Continentals. No problem in Florida.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Belancer
Hi,
Yes, it did happen to at least 3 friends of mine (in local GLK group). We're in asia and GLK is CKD assembled here from 100% genuine parts imported.
The tyre is Continental 235/50R19 (made in Czech),
The pressure is as per user guide.
Just 10K-20K miles in normal city driving (never offroad).

The MB service is investigating the issue but not yet confirmed. I just want to check if it's just a local issue by assembly quality or may happen in anywhere else.
We are as well running on Continentals - with no signs of your friends issue.

A toe-in wear would normally show up as a "tapered" wear (in depth) inside/outside across the tyre, which I don't see on your pictures. With a toe-in issue in 20K miles this pattern should be noticeable and evenly distributed, not with "cracks" as seen on one of the pictures.

In your, and your friends case, would it be possible that you don't / they do touch coarse curbstones e.g. when parking, being a local GLK group (driving the same places), and as the issue affects the frontwheels only?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
in kinda looks like road rash for tires? in the one pic it looks pretty even across the tread. maybe a particular type of road, like glkka2h said, maybe cobblestone or rough grooved concrete? like chucks of rubber torn out?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic

A toe-in wear would normally show up as a "tapered" wear (in depth) inside/outside across the tyre, which I don't see on your pictures. With a toe-in issue in 20K miles this pattern should be noticeable and evenly distributed, not with "cracks" as seen on one of the pictures.

In your, and your friends case, would it be possible that you don't / they do touch coarse curbstones e.g. when parking, being a local GLK group (driving the same places), and as the issue affects the frontwheels only?
Agreed!

This is no toe issue or even allinment. Those types of issues would lead to a smoother wear. Not chunky wear. I would only guess at maybe its a tire issue? Is it very hot in your climate?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Is it very hot in your climate?
IP = Vietnam
Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Maybe a little track time? With amateur drivers sawing at the wheel?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
I noticed the same issue with my Dunlops chunking. I was going to have the stealership look at it. It started about 2 months ago and the amount of chunking is increasing.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:02 AM

MB GLK300
Thanks for your opinion. My GLK is no problem, but it is only 4K miles running, not sure if the issue will come in a bad day.
Here are pix of another GLK with the same issue here. Of course the road is not as good as your location, but I don't think the road quality affected the tyres that bad (not to mention that the rear tyres must be affected as well).

Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM

As I forwarded a request to my country Continental customer services if they could look into the issue, they responded positive, but need some further details regarding the tyres:

The (exact) pressure, which I know was reported as "The pressure is as per user guide" in a former post.

Kind of tyres (name)

DOT

Their initial response to my request was: "Abnormal wear is almost in all cases related to "external" causes. However are we willingly to look into the issue, given we could have some more details regarding the tyres".

I as well would need your permission to send some of your pictures to Continental.

A quick response on the details is needed, if you want to proceed on this track, as vacation is coming up for my POC.

Regards
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
I noticed the same issue with my Dunlops chunking. I was going to have the stealership look at it. It started about 2 months ago and the amount of chunking is increasing.
Would it be possible to have the milage of your Dunlops, to make a comparison with the milages noted by the OP?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks for your opinion. My GLK is no problem, but it is only 4K miles running, not sure if the issue will come in a bad day.
Here are pix of another GLK with the same issue here. Of course the road is not as good as your location, but I don't think the road quality affected the tyres that bad (not to mention that the rear tyres must be affected as well).
As my country Continental customer services POC went on vacation, he offered us Continental’s assessment and conclusion on the issue, without the details as requested being available. He assumes that the tires in question is either the Conti4x4Contact MO 235/50R19 99V, or ContiCrossContact UHP MO.

In short, translated, are following statements given:
- The issue is known as "Tread Chipping/Chunking".
- It may arise either by rough driving, extreme environmental conditions, or by a combination of both.
- The tires in question are (easily) identified, as this dimension (by Continental) is made especially for Mercedes-Benz:
- They are "Original Equipment" (OE) tires.
- OE tires made especially for Mercedes-Benz are always marked by MO (Mercedes-Benz Original).
- The dimension is made for Mercedes-Benz in accordance with their specifications.
- As noted by "(made in Czech)", are the tires made at a Continental factory in the Czech Republic, development done by Continental in Hanover, Germany.

The advice given by Continental customer services, based on the conclusion that heat is the main cause of the chuncking (as suggested by 451/443=EW !), is to increase tire inflation pressure to 2,7Bar (38 psi). This reduces the heat build-up of the tire, and prolongs the longevity.

I think Continental’s conclusion as well explains why your friends (10.000 – 20.000 miles) do see the problem and you (4.000 miles) don’t – so far. And the reason why chipping is seen on the front wheels only, is depending on the weight (from engine) and steering.

I am sorry that the print out quality of the attachment (kindly enclosed by Continental) is not good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tread chipping-chunking.pdf (122.5 KB, 3053 views)
Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 AM

MB GLK300
@ GLKKa2H: hi, my apology for the late reply, I've just been away for a while and really appreciate your clear suggestion.
Yes, you're right, mine is Conti4x4Contact MO 235/50R19 99V, I just take some pix as below. I must agree that the issue might come from either bad road surface or a bit low tire inflation pressure in hot condition, though my post's pictures on 06 Jul are from a lady, she never go outsite the city with gentle driving. I feel the tyre is quite soft and easily damaged.
Again thanks for your info.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 AM

GLK
Tires have a seperate warranty from MB. You have to contact your tire manufactorer, this may be an on going recall.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 AM

@ GLKKa2H: hi, my apology for the late reply, I've just been away for a while and really appreciate your clear suggestion.
Again thanks for your info.
No problem - increase tyre inflation pressure to note any differences at the time of mileages of your friends

Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 PM

S600,GLK350,528i,G35,X3,C320,330i
Made in Czech Republic!!!