Wiper fluid leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk
Wiper fluid leaking

Hi guys,

This is my first owning a MB not sure if this is a problem or not. Other day I was trying to top my glk with washer fluid since I was going to take a road trip with it. When it was topped off, I noticed it started leaking at the bottom, anyone else have the same problem? Or am I not suppose to fill it to the top?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
According to instructions given in the GLK Operator's Manual: "Refill the washer fluid reservoir.", should it be possible to top the reservoir, like we can - with no spill.

I wonder whether the leaking really started at the bottom, or may be it just appears to do so. Given the reservoir contained some fluid before the refilling, with no leak, is maybe the leak higher up. And if so, and the GLK has been subject to environmental temperatures below the freezing point, with incorrect blend of solvent/antifreeze, the fluid would start freezing on surface firstly. That could have caused a crack in the container, which now really is origin of the leak.

The leak could as well have its origin at the location where the Fluid Level Sensor is mounted, or just caused by vibration grinding a hole in the container, if pressed against metal.

If this is the case, may another refill, carefully observing when the leak starts, show where the source of leakage really is.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glk
That is interesting, I will have to check the car when I get back home. Thanks

come to think of it...me being a newb, I put in regular -40 washer fluid and not the ones from MB, do you think that will be a problem? since now i've mixed them both together?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
This issue is popping up on the forum from time to time. Note two threads, where fluid for the washer system is discussed:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...arket-one.html

and:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...questions.html,

the latter where valid information regarding the fluid is stacked between the oil discussion.

I put in regular -40 washer fluid and not the ones from MB, do you think that will be a problem? since now i've mixed them both together?

The mixing of the two kinds may not be a problem as such.

However, using non OEM washer fluid may cause harm to the headlight plastic lenses, in case your GLK have headlamp cleaning system, as the fluid may remove the moisture from the lenses, thus over time making them brittle.

Take a look at the section Washer system and headlamp cleaning system in the GLK Operator's Manual, page 217:
http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...l/2010_glk.pdf