Chrome Fog Light Surrounds - New Version with clips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Chrome Fog Light Surrounds - New Version with clips

Hi,

There is a new version of these available, that have clips to hold them onto the black grill around the fog lights.

Long version: I bought the accessory fog light surrounds as in this pic:

But have had issues with them coming loose. They attach with automotive double sided tape, with the tape contacting the bumper on either side of the opening.

The ones on our car have come loose several times, and I have found them laying on the ground in the garage and driveway. I tried sticking them back on myself with the same type of tape, after cleaning both surfaces with alcohol wipes from a body shop made expressly for this purpose.

They still fall off. My theory is that the curve is not right for the GLK bumper, so the stress eventually levers one side off, then the wind loosens the other side.

So the latest round of troubles saw one fall off while going down the highway, which either I or my wife didn't notice. So it is gone completely.

The dealer acknowledged this is an issue, and had a few tries at taping these back on, as recently as yesterday. Since one of them fell off and is long gone, they ordered me a new one free of charge, They discovered that the new version has clips to hold it on, as well as continues to use the double sided tape.

When I went to pick it up this morning, we looked at this new one and compared to the old one on the other side. We saw that one was very loose and was about to fall off.

So they kept the car and are going to order me a new one for the other side too.

If you are having similar issues, you may want to tell your dealer about the new type, and see if they will do it for free as my dealer did. (I am starting to really like those guys! )
Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 AM

GLK
Just saw that the invoice from the repairs listed the new fog light surround trip piece (right side) as being 204-820-00-90.

It looks like this is the same part number as for the old versions.

It also looks like this is the part number for the pair of them. (The dealer only installed one side.) I am not sure if the dealer received both but only installed one, or if the same part number covers single replacements. I would tend to think the pair.

So if you are buying these from the dealer or one of the non-dealer places that sell genuine M-B parts, make sure to ask them to verify the new version with clips before buying.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
Just saw that the invoice from the repairs listed the new fog light surround trip piece (right side) as being 204-820-00-90.

It looks like this is the same part number as for the old versions.

It also looks like this is the part number for the pair of them. (The dealer only installed one side.) I am not sure if the dealer received both but only installed one, or if the same part number covers single replacements. I would tend to think the pair.

So if you are buying these from the dealer or one of the non-dealer places that sell genuine M-B parts, make sure to ask them to verify the new version with clips before buying.
Could you show the clip in a picture? thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 PM
ame

glk
How is the new version fit? i didn't buy this one because I knew the old ones were just tape on and they didn't fit very well. Please advice if the new version pieces are fit better and I see if i will order it.

Thanks....
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I've seen this problem come up before on here, might have actually been you in another post. At any rate its good to see someone was on the ball and attempted a fix, hopefully they work out for you. As for the part numbers for driver and passenger side being the same, its probably because they are the same part. From the picture is appears all you would need to do is flip the part around (long spike pointing in) and it would fit the other side.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 220 cdi - irridiumsilver
I also have mounted myself those "chrome rings" with the original double sided tape since a couple of months. Even with the bad weather we have here in Belgium I don't have any problems and I drive mostly on the highway (85 mph) .
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Fog Light Surrounds - New Version with clips-img_0043.jpg   Chrome Fog Light Surrounds - New Version with clips-img_0038.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 AM

GLK
The fit seems to be exactly the same - it looks like they are using the same moulds. The difference is only on the back, and since the dealer installed them, I have not seen that. (And I didn't seem them before the dealer installed them, so I don't have a pic - actually, all I have is the dealer SA's comments on that.)

The dealer kept the car this weekend so they could install the other side trim ring, so I am picking it up tonight (hopefully).

Will let everyone know if this didn't fix the issue.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 PM

GLK 350 4matic
i had my fog surrounding for over a year, and never had the problem. Yes, the curve is not 100% fit, there is one end about 1/4 inch apart from the bumper surface so you need to push and bend it slightly. I was afraid the 3M tape won't hold the stress. But it did the job. I think cleaning the surface and apply in warm temp, plus not drive for 24 hrs are all important factors.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 AM

GLK
Good advice, and essentially what I have been doing.

The first time I installed the pieces, I used the alcohol wipes that were included in the box to wipe the surface of the bumper and the back of the trims. I let it sit from early in the afternoon to late the next morning, so probably for 18 - 20 hours?

Within 3 months, one side fell off, and the other was extremely loose.

The curve of the bumper vs. the curve of the mounting surface of the trim is just that far off - 1/4" seems about right, but it could be up to 1/2".

I bought some of the 3M exterior double-sided automotive tape that is exactly what is used for this purpose, and repeated the procedure using rubbing alcohol on a clean rag to clean the surfaces. (The alcohol didn't have any extra gunk in it such as moisturizers.)

The trims stayed on for another 3 months or so. One fell off and the other was again very loose.

Then I took it to the dealer, who reinstalled and told me the same thing - they wanted to let it sit for 24 hours.

The trims stayed on for a couple of months, until about 2 months ago.

I took it back to the dealer, who reinstalled them yet again.

Up to that point, the trims had the decency to fall off in my garage or our driveway.

This last time, one fell off on the highway or elsewhere and I never found it. The bad news is it stayed on for only about 2 weeks.

I took it back to the dealer last week, and they ordered a new one (which came with the clips).

Which brings us up to today. The dealer still has the car, maybe 6 days later. For a plastic trim ring!

The reason for it taking so long is that they said the gap (the 1/4 - 1/2" one we are discussing) seemed excessive, so the tech installing it tried to bend it to make it more closely conform to the curvature of the bumper, and the piece broke. I guess I would not have attempted to bend plastic, but maybe he heated it slightly with a torch or something.

So they had to order a new one, which should have arrived yesterday afternoon. With luck I should be able to pick the car up this afternoon (after the 24 hour cure time).

I think the dealer has been trying to do a good job. They are trying to make a piece stick that was not shaped properly. They have tried repeatedly, so an A for effort. Plus, since I installed them the first time, they said it was not covered by warranty and technically they could charge me for the labor to re-install them. But I think the SA and shop manager realized this whole situation is pretty silly - this is not rocket science and the dadgum things should simply stick. So they were cool enough to do this for free. Several times.

It could be that the trims do not have the right curvature. a 1/4" - 1/2" gap is a bit sloppy for a M-B. (Even if these are OEM'ed by a sub, M-B is still responsible for making sure the sub had the specs as well as checking them after they were manufactured and delivered.)

It could be that my bumper skin is a bit out of tolerance and has a different curve than most (mine might be closer to 1/2" gap).

It might be that the bumper has something greasy on it that the alcohol wipes are not removing. The 3M tape is great stuff - I have used it before on other cars for this same purpose. I would have thought it would have been be sticky enough to keep the trim pulled in over a 1/4" gap.

I am sure there are other possible explanations.

In any event, the fact that M-B has released an updated part with clips makes me believe that there is a known issue with them coming loose or falling off.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM

GLK
Latest update: The dealer has ordered a couple of sets of the trims and was not happy with how either set fit.

Apparently the new design with clips is not holding securely enough for their satisfaction either. They are worried that if the tape allows the edges to pull away, that wind from going down the highway could pull them off once the tape lets go.

They had a factory parts representative come out and look at it. He told them that they are unhappy with the way these fit in general, and the factory is going to go back to the supplier and have the design changed.

They gave us a choice of putting these back on but with a statement that they will not replace them if they fall off (i.e.- I would have to pay for new ones). The other choice was to refund the money we paid originally for the parts and put the stock rings back on. We chose the refund, so our car will not have the accessory trims as pictured above.

I am REALLY disappointed in this, as I really liked the look of the car with all the aero accessories and feel it will detract from the aero "package" look by not having these trims on it.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM

GLK
Oh yeah, I forgot to add: the factory rep told the dealer that the front spoiler that came with the aero package seems to be slightly altering the shape of the front bumper, and making the gap larger than it might be without it. It seems that this is a known condition but is only a problem with the trim rings.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Thanks for sharing the details. I think your best call now is to wait for LED DSL light upgrade package. All new 2011 models have that.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:01 AM

2010 GLK 350 4matic
Desperate need for a replacement part

I have a 2010 GLK 350 4matic that has lost one of its fog trim chrome light pieces. My dealer here is the WORST. I have had 9 mercedes in my lifetime. Dealt with dealerships from Beverly Hills, to Miami and everywhere in between. The dealer in Palm Springs, CA is the most awful dealer I have ever been too. Anyway, I know they are sold in a set. Part 204-820-00-90. But, no one has them to repurchase. Any suggestions or places to look. I am at the end of my rope