GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Yet another hitch thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK350
Yet another hitch thread

I'll be getting my 2011 GLK delivered in just a few weeks, I didn't go with the OEM hitch because I need a 2" receiver as I'll be using it for a 4-bike rack. Looking into options for aftermarket hitches, I found the following:

Valley Towing model 81230: http://www.vtowing.com/ISHEETS/81230.pdf

Class III hitch, rated 3500 towing/350 tongue weight. Installation looks easy, no drilling. But looking at the design I'm not convinced it'll be the right choice for a bike rack as the forces from hanging a bike rack off the back are very different from straight towing.

Curt Manufacturing Model 13059: http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._13059_INS.pdf

Class III hitch, rated 3500 towing/350 tongue weight. Installation looks pretty involved, some drilling required to enlarge some existing holes and you have to drop the exhaust to slide the hitch assembly between the exhaust and the frame. Installed it looks nice because there is minimal extra tubing showing below the bumper. I like the strut that runs forward and connects to the crossmember as a way to counteract torsional forces from the bike rack.

Hidden Hitch Model 87593: http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N87593.pdf

Class III/IV hitch, rated 4000 towing/400 tongue weight. Installation very simple, no drilling or extra work. Instructions claim 20 minutes to install. Similar to the Curt, there is a strut connecting to the frame crossmember which I like for countering the torque - bike racks can really swing when loaded up!

My preference for the moment is the Hidden Hitch as it has the higher load capacity and looks easiest to install. My questions:

1. All of the above list these as the right choice for a 2010 GLK, none have updated their sites for 2011 model year. There are minimal changes to the 2011, but anyone know of any change for MY2011 that could give me a fitment problem?

2. Has anyone tried out the HH and are there any problems? Any experience with the other two (positive or negative) that should factor into my choice?

Thanks,

Ken.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I think only change might be if you are getting AMG package as bumper is slightly different.

If you want to hear more opinion on the hitches themselves, I would try posting this in ML or GL threads as there are very few ppl with aftermarket hitches here on GLK forums.

On a side note, would not there be a converter to accomadate your 2 inch bike rack? Just wondering for my own reference. I have factory hitch, but a lot of good bike racks are 2 inch recievers. Bike rack reommendations are also welcome.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM

GLK
One thought:

I know you know this, but the person to whom you might eventually sell the car may not:

It does not have a huge towing capacity (e.g.- weight). But to someone who does not know the car, such as a future buyer, they may look at the class IV hitch and think, hmmm, I can attach a 5-ton luxury RV-type trailer to it! So you may want to put it in writing when you eventually sell the car that it will only tow so much weight and the towing specs in the M-B GLK manuals must be followed regardless of hitch type.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I think only change might be if you are getting AMG package as bumper is slightly different.
Good point, as I'll have the AMG package. From pictures, it doesn't look like the bumper would interfere, but very hard to tell from pics found crawling through google image searches.

On a side note, would not there be a converter to accomadate your 2 inch bike rack?
Main issue for me is that I'm often hauling downhill mountain bikes, which can weigh 40 lbs each. My current setup is a 2-bike rack with a 1 1/4" hitch receiver. Adding things up, I have about 60-70 lbs for the rack, plus 2 40-lb bikes so running about 140-150 lbs. You should see that sucker flex!! Pretty scary to watch it bounce in my rearview mirror when the going gets bumpy. So my concern is that if I get a 4-bike rack that's closer to 80 lbs and pile 160 lb of bikes on it then I think the 1 1/4 will be risky ... one bad hit of a pothole could bend it.

Bike rack reommendations are also welcome.
Here in Vancouver, there's a little start-up company that's taking the local biking scene by storm. A very cool rack setup because it keeps the bikes close to the back of the vehicle (minimizes weight swinging waaaaaay off the back), and you can load almost any size/shape of bike on it. Mountain bikes are a challenge because there are so many shapes to deal with because suspension bits can get in the way of rack supports.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR%204-bike.htm

I'll be picking one up for sure!

Kn.

Last edited by KenNinBC; 09-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.