GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

need help about my 350..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350 (black)
Smile need help about my 350..

just got my GLK 350 back home, can't love it more! I am wondering if anyone could tell me that what's the offical name of the "boards on both door sides, we can step on it before get into the car.."? Some of the GLKs and MLs have this option but mine doesn't come with it..These two boards looked so cool that I want to get a pair for my car. Please help!

btw, how much these two boards would cost if I chose to go to dealer to get installed?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
They are called "running boards". Part number: A204-690-0675. http://valleymotorsmercedes.oemdealer.com/mercedes-glkclass-accessories-cat909_2481.php
Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM

2010 GLK 350 (black)
thank you so much..on my way to buy it..
Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
FWIW, every report I've seen on the running boards says they are almost useless for getting in the car but great at getting your pants legs dirty.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:08 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by rmfnla
FWIW, every report I've seen on the running boards says they are almost useless for getting in the car but great at getting your pants legs dirty.
Besides the cost, that was the reason we didn't get them on our GLK or ML.

But I love the look, with the rubber "dots" on them - good industrial design.

On a similar topic, this weekend I was debating with a friend as to whether or not the plastic pieces that are there (if you don't get the running boards) are called rocker panels. I could go either way since that is what the location is called even if there is a trim piece on it. He was leaning toward side skirts or similar.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
Besides the cost, that was the reason we didn't get them on our GLK or ML.

But I love the look, with the rubber "dots" on them - good industrial design.

On a similar topic, this weekend I was debating with a friend as to whether or not the plastic pieces that are there (if you don't get the running boards) are called rocker panels. I could go either way since that is what the location is called even if there is a trim piece on it. He was leaning toward side skirts or similar.

Any thoughts?
I think rocker panel and side skirts are interchangeable words. They mean they same thing.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM

GLK
Thanks. We were thinking there could be a distinction if there is a steel panel below the plastic piece. So in that case the steel body piece is the rocker panel, the plastic piece over that is the skirt.

It gets fuzzy depending on whether or not you could detach the skirt and the panel underneath is finished (painted, smooth, not structural-looking with reinforcing corrugation showing, etc.). If the skirt is never meant to be detached then the same thing?

Think of the import racer body kits you see - they have some rather, er, elaborate body kits that cover most surfaces of the car as it came from the factory, including aftermarket skirts to cover the rockers.

Probably hair-splitting...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk
Originally Posted by rmfnla
true
Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
The 2011 models have a smaller plastic moulding that does not transfer the dirt and wet things to your clothing as much as the design on the 2010. Because I ordered a 2010 model I went for the running boards since they look better than the stock moulding and at least have the limited function of providing a place to stand when putting stuff on the roof rack.
The MB literature describes the running boards as being made of stainless steel and rubber in one version of the ad copy and as being aluminum and rubber in others. The newer 2011 ad copy still has this dual description in it. The running boards are actually totally plastic in their structure and have a rubber studded aluminum face plate bonded to the plastic outer covers. The mounting part is a plastic frame that bolts to the car body and the outer part with the aluminum and rubber face plate snaps onto the plastic frame that is bolted to the car body.
Although they are strong enough to actually be used as running boards and as a place to step up on to reach the roof rack they are not strong enough to function as rock guards that protect the rocker panels when doing serious rock climbing or other off road adventures. Since none of the X204 models in North America can be ordered with the true off road package that MB offers in other markets that should not be a problem here in North America.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM

GLK
Our ML is pretty horrible for that, much worse than the GLK.

May have to check out the running boards for the GLK when I get the car top cargo carrier. Hadn't thought of that...

Great quote in the .sig!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM

2010 GLK 350 (black)
good discussion guys....Well actually I don't wanna go off road with my glk, just city driving is cool enough..no too much dirts..so as long as the running boards seemed cool i will go for it..

my headlights are "yellow", I might wanna get "white" ones..are they very expensive?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
yea running boards are useless unless you are 5 feet tall. They actually make getting in/out of the car pretty awkward.

For "white ones" search for HID conversion discussions, if you want HID's for your headlights. I think kit is 200-300 bux and install is another ...50-100?