Enjoying your drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010 | 11:17 AM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Enjoying your drive

Try this to eliminate your blind spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eqgl...eature=related

Takes a while getting used to it but works great.

caveat: for our US friends that don't have mirrors that adjust down when they reverse park, they will have to adjust their mirrors before and after parking to this new position.

Last edited by dlinjuly2009; 09-16-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2010 | 11:33 AM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
Thumbs up and for a safer drive, reminders

other tips:

seat height position - adjust seat to lowest setting. It is the safest setting if you get hit from the side because there is more door protecting you. Also, your head s not too close to the roof where it could get hit.

seat forward position - adjust it so there is a bend in your arm and knees but not too close that you can't turn the steering wheel all the way because your elbows hit your stomach

steering wheel - hold it at 9 and 3, not 10 and 2 o'clock position. This allows maximum turning ability and control. To turn right you lift our right hand and put it somewhere on the top and pull to your right. It is easier to pull than to push. On long drives you can rest your hands from the 9-3 position as they don't have to be there all the time. If you put your hand at 10 and 2 there is a chance they will hit your face when your air bags deploy. Don't hold the steering wheel too tight because you want to feel it better

left foot - rest it on the floor, next to the brake so that you can brace yourself if you have to stop suddenly

right foot - rest the heel of your right foot on the floor . To change from the brake pedal to the throttle/accelerator don't lift your foot/heel but instead just turn your foot while the heel is still on the floor.

side mirrors - adjust them so that you don't see the side of your car. Adjust them further out. You should be able to see a car first in your rearview mirror then see it pass/overlap in your side mirror then to your side. See link above

turning - if the car keeps on going straight instead off turning take your foot off the throttle/accelerator and add some brake pressure.

turning - if the car overturns, that is the back of the car swings out, press on the brake and steer where you want to go

eyes - look ahead, not right in front of you. The car goes where your eyes go. Check all around you every now and then, especially when you stop, go and turn and use your mirrors.

when you stop, you should see the bottom of the rear wheels of the car in front of you, at the minimum. The reason for this is so that you can get out in an emergency, say if the car behind you can't stop and is going to hit you in the back

braking - to stop faster in an emergency press down hard. Don't press, lift, press, lift, press ,,,

to avoid hitting something in front of you - try not to look at it but look at where you want to go. Remember your car follows where your eyes go. It's safer to look to your right then to your left because oncoming cars are on the left

If your car goes off the road to your right - this can happen if you tried to avoid hitting something in front of you. Don't immediately steer your car back onto the road. This can make your car spin out of control. Instead, keep the wheels straight and slow down. Then turn back onto the road.

parking - it's better to back into a spot. One of the reason for this is because your mind keeps a fresh image of the parking spot as you drive by it so it's easier to park

merging - don't stop. Try to speed up and fit into an empty gap on the highway. If you are on the highway, keep to your left to allow merging cars to get in or allow a gap for them to get in

tailgate - don't do that. You need time to react and your car needs space to stop. And, if you have to do an evasive turn, you need space. If someone is tailgating you then keep an extra distance from the car in front of you and let the car behind you to pass. Do this even at the speed limit, don't be a traffic cop, let the police do that job.

Stay in the right lane - keep right unless you want to pass or if there are cars merging in front of you

If the gas paddle is stuck - put car in neutral and press the brake. Your brakes are stronger than your throttle/accelerator and your car won't flip over if you do this. Then turn off the car. Toyota?

Be smooth - unless in an emergency, try to be smooth. Don't stop or go suddenly. This puts the car off balance. If you have to brake suddenly before you turn then gradually lift off the brakes before slowly pressing on the gas.

baby seat - put it in the middle of the back seat, not close to the door, safer from side impact
Old 09-20-2010 | 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009

caveat: for our US friends that don't have mirrors that adjust down when they reverse park, they will have to adjust their mirrors before and after parking to this new position.

My passenger side mirror adjusts down if I tap the control selector before going into reverse gear.

Of course, with the rear camera I don't ever use it...
Old 09-20-2010 | 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by dlinjuly2009

that's how i've been using mirrors since I started driving. I set them so if there is nothing in my mirror there is nobody in my blind spot. Basically push your mirrors almost as much outward as possible.

And small convex mirrors help to see cars a lane over and right next to you as well as during parallel parking.

For tilt in reverse I use M3 that has same seating position and just tilts the mirrors, but I barely use it as small mirror does the job.
Old 09-20-2010 | 01:40 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by rmfnla
My passenger side mirror adjusts down if I tap the control selector before going into reverse gear.

+1 Mine tilts down too. Leave the mirror controls with the Right side button selected, and it does this automatically.
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
+1 Mine tilts down too. Leave the mirror controls with the Right side button selected, and it does this automatically.
are you from US or Canada?
Old 09-20-2010 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by rmfnla

I wonder if this was added on 2011 model
Old 09-21-2010 | 01:23 PM

GLK
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
are you from US or Canada?
US. The car is a 2010; bought it in June or July 2009, IIRC.
Old 09-21-2010 | 01:38 PM

none
Hmmm... I don't think mine does that. I'll have to try again to double check.
Old 09-22-2010 | 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
US. The car is a 2010; bought it in June or July 2009, IIRC.
could you elaborate how you set the tilt feature. I did the following:

-turn car on
-adjust passanger mirror
-hit M and then one of the arrows (mirror didn't move, which should mean that reverse position has been stored)
but after that nothing happens. I did the same when car is in R and that didn't work either.
Old 09-22-2010 | 12:25 PM

GLK 350
The mirror tilt only works with GLK's with the 3 memory position seating.

Otherwise to set, turn the car on, put in reverse, adjust passenger mirror. It should then save it.

You can then turn it on/off by pressing the passenger mirror button (vs the driver). If you press the passenger button the mirror goes down. If you press the driver's button the mirror stays in the driving position.
Old 09-22-2010 | 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by n8nu
The mirror tilt only works with GLK's with the 3 memory position seating.

Otherwise to set, turn the car on, put in reverse, adjust passenger mirror. It should then save it.

You can then turn it on/off by pressing the passenger mirror button (vs the driver). If you press the passenger button the mirror goes down. If you press the driver's button the mirror stays in the driving position.
Thanks but I think canadian model differs from US one. It seemed that US didn't have tilt in reverse at all, and now some members from US are saying they have it. Also when I read updated PDF the instructions were as I described (I have memory seats).
Old 09-22-2010 | 10:30 PM

2011 GLK 350, 2008 Acura TL
Thanks but I think canadian model differs from US one. It seemed that US didn't have tilt in reverse at all, and now some members from US are saying they have it. Also when I read updated PDF the instructions were as I described (I have memory seats).
You're suppose to put the car in reverse and then adjust the mirror.
Old 09-23-2010 | 09:40 AM

GLK
Ours has the 3-position memory seats, is a 2010 US, and it has the tilting mirror on the right side.

I did not have to put it in reverse then adjust the mirror. I simply selected the right mirror button and it started working. If I select the left mirror it doesn't work. So it appears it does not have to be adjusted when in reverse. Just select the right mirror and go.
Old 09-23-2010 | 05:55 PM

2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
-hit M and then one of the arrows within 3 seconds (mirror didn't move, which should mean that reverse position has been stored)
-I did the same when car is in R and that didn't work either.
Assuming you followed the procedure(s) on page 85 of the 2010 GLK Operator's Manual: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...l/2010_glk.pdf,
is maybe the issue due for a call at the dealer.

Normally, when chapters in the manual are dealing with descriptions, procedures etc, where a canadian model differs from an US one, it is clearly marked by "Canada only" or "USA only", which is not the case with the chapter "Mirrors". BTW: There is no change in this chapter in the 2011 manual.

And the procedure Setting and storing the parking position works in our European GLK as detailed as well.
Old 09-24-2010 | 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
Assuming you followed the procedure(s) on page 85 of the 2010 GLK Operator's Manual: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...l/2010_glk.pdf,
is maybe the issue due for a call at the dealer.

Normally, when chapters in the manual are dealing with descriptions, procedures etc, where a canadian model differs from an US one, it is clearly marked by "Canada only" or "USA only", which is not the case with the chapter "Mirrors". BTW: There is no change in this chapter in the 2011 manual.

And the procedure Setting and storing the parking position works in our European GLK as detailed as well.

funny thing is that manual that came with the car doesn't have these instructions. I think it was updated at some point. I'll ask dealer next time i'm there.