GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

What wax do you use

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
Originally Posted by stevendlee_101
What kind of wax does everyone use? i am thinking of getting some swissvax this spring -- their wax ranges from $60 to $1000 per bottle! worth it?
Yes it is. I use several different waxes, but whenever I want my car to look it's best I put on swissvax. If it's confusing to figure out which one to buy, just get concourso. Crystal rock is amazing, but way too expensive but if you don't mind paying $1,500 then go for it. It's the best I've seen on a car. I ordered one of the last pots of swissvax insignis v3. It's not super expensive when compared to other swissvax waxes. If you want one get it while it lasts from here.
http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/swi...ax-p-1728.html
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM

2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by hakaida442
What does nufinish have to do with those 3 pics taken from chemical guys website? The chemical guys pics that you are using is an example of using their nano polish. And nufinish is trash. I use chemical guys 5050, zymol glasur, swissvax concourso, and have on order swissvax insignis v3.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. To get the best results you wash, use a wax stripper, clay, polish, and wax. If you want to add in a glaze before waxing thats an option. I have no idea what you're talking about with this conditioner bs. I am hardcore when it comes to detailing my cars and spend a lot of time on detailing message boards and have never read anything close to what you posted. Sorry, but saying nufinish is good and talking about conditioners is a joke. With black or any other color, the key is to machine polish your car if necessary before waxing. Not "conditioning".

Here's the link to the chemical guys page that shows that you stole their pic.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Paint_Co...gap_108_16.htm

^^^ I couldn't agree more, this is so true..

And since you own a black car you already know this. "Black isn't a color, it's a second job".

I always swear I will never buy another black car...I'm on my 5th.. I need help..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Daytime: Slow and easy with 2006 SL500 & 2003 S430 . Night time: Hard and Fast with my wife
so guys, after all the talks, recommendations, please give me a bottom line: which wax, conditioner is good for a Silver color car ? Now, I am not a detailing buff and don't plan to spend hours detailing my cars either... if I just wash it well, then put on some stuff to make it 'shinier' within 1 hour of work then i would be happy... hehehe.. call me lazy... maybe I am a perfect candidate for that NuFinish stuff :-)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:16 PM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
Originally Posted by mitviet
so guys, after all the talks, recommendations, please give me a bottom line: which wax, conditioner is good for a Silver color car ? Now, I am not a detailing buff and don't plan to spend hours detailing my cars either... if I just wash it well, then put on some stuff to make it 'shinier' within 1 hour of work then i would be happy... hehehe.. call me lazy... maybe I am a perfect candidate for that NuFinish stuff :-)
Menzerna Power Lock is a good sealant that will last a long time and look as good as possible for a sealant. For waxes I like swissvax concourso. It's over 300 bucks, but I am really into detailing my own cars. I just bought one of the last limited edition swissvax insignis v3 pots available in the world. Sometimes I wish I could use a regular wax and not see the difference. I spend too much money on my cars.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
And now for something completely different

1. Note MB doesn't recommend a standard touchless car wash for the 2013 GLK paints. They do have their own range of cleaners and polishes; I don't know who makes them for them. Our resto guy confirmed that MB uses the best paint but they are totally waterbased now so they need a different cleaning waxing formula if you are going to leave the paint exposed and the car washes don't have the right chemicals ffor the '13s.

2. We are going to keep the 13 GLK. What we did was take the white GLK directly from the dealer without him washing it; we got a check instead. We took it to an authorized 3M/Ventureshield installer who carefully washed the car and then applied 3M Film to the entire car. (He said he regularly wraps entire SL65 and Ferraris; if they are light colors they use 3M and dark VS.) So now we either wash it off in the driveway and or use the light pressure soapy wash at a car wash and do the undercarriage. Every 3 months or so we are to apply the 3M plastic polish to the film after a good wash.

3. We use Applecare Cleaner and Conditioner on the leather. It is sold for high end handbags. No you can't get it at an autoparts store but it is an outstanding product.

http://leatherstuff.com/shop/view.php?id=269

4. We had our resto gent wax our wheels after a gentle washing. Really keeps the brake dust off. Every 3 months is good. Whatever brand you like.

5. We use 303 Protectant on the rubber and plastic bits.

BTW NUFINISH isn't bad and the price is right. Even Con. Reports like it!

Last edited by grane; 02-20-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by mitviet
So it sounds like you're looking for one-step quick and easy. I used to use Zymol many years ago. It worked fine until I really got into detailing. 3M cleaner wax is another good option if you want to remove minor scratches and contaminants. I use the 3M myself for touch-ups between major detailings. The majority of my detailing products now come from Chemical Guys, but their stuff really isn't geared toward the casual detailer.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/

Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
2021 GLE450
Coincidentally, I received an email from Griot's Garage announcing a new wax product. I've used their products in the past with great success, and wouldn't hesitate to give this one a try.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...do?code=EMAAJB

Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I have one or two higher end waxes like Pinnacle Souveran (it truly looks awesome on black but it doesn't last too long).

Most carnauba waxes and carnauba waxes with polishing oils will look awesome on black.

Lighter cars often look good with synthetic sealants too.

A lot of the time I use Meguiar's because I have found you need to always wax more often than you think. No traditional wax or sealant lasts very long. I recommend using quick spray waxes like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax in between full wax jobs, to restore some shine and protection.

ALSO - Once a year at least, you really need to clay a car before waxing. It gets all that sand paper feeling stuff that bonds to the paint off. Then the wax will last longer as it will more easily bond to the paint instead of bonding to the contaminants in the paint.

I also once a year polish out swirls on my black car using a DA polisher, but it can go on forever. You can always do more and more for your car. It has to stop at some point.

Last edited by mac911; 02-22-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
What kind of "wax"

Originally Posted by stevendlee_101
What kind of wax does everyone use? i am thinking of getting some swissvax this spring -- their wax ranges from $60 to $1000 per bottle! worth it?
I use Eagle One NANOWAX. Our cars are painted w/nano paint. So I use nano on nano. My 2012 E350 is BLACK and looks great! Of course it has NEVER been through a car wash. Follow up w/same type of detailer.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by hakaida442
What does nufinish have to do with those 3 pics taken from chemical guys website? The chemical guys pics that you are using is an example of using their nano polish. And nufinish is trash. I use chemical guys 5050, zymol glasur, swissvax concourso, and have on order swissvax insignis v3.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. To get the best results you wash, use a wax stripper, clay, polish, and wax. If you want to add in a glaze before waxing thats an option. I have no idea what you're talking about with this conditioner bs. I am hardcore when it comes to detailing my cars and spend a lot of time on detailing message boards and have never read anything close to what you posted. Sorry, but saying nufinish is good and talking about conditioners is a joke. With black or any other color, the key is to machine polish your car if necessary before waxing. Not "conditioning".

Here's the link to the chemical guys page that shows that you stole their pic.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Paint_Co...gap_108_16.htm
Great post..why in the world is he stealing pics from another site?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350
If you have a dar color like blue or black, then this cannot be beat

http://www.detailedimage.com/Blackfi...P205/16-oz-S1/
Product Information

• A top rated sealant that offers incredible depth, gloss, surface slickness and protection
  • Boosted by Polycharger technology, Wet Diamond is an extremely durable polymer sealant lasting 4 - 6+ months
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 PM

none
I personally have used wax, new finish, and VaporWax acrylic paint conditioner.
There is no denying that wax has it's benefits depending on what you apply it on, however acrylic paint is not one of them.
New finish is a better alternative, when comparing ease of use and end results when compared to wax.
An acrylic paint conditioner is the best option of the three for a multitude of reasons.
#1. is that it is non abrasive
#2. It will not dull
#3. It never has to be removed or stripped off.
4th and most notable is the superior shine that can be achieved and maintained with a minimal amount of effort.
The list goes on to include using only clear water to wash your car, applicable to vinyl and chrome and it is rust inhibiting.
However to each his or her own, some people like rubbing on their car or truck for hours, they like to strip, clay and polish.
For those individuals wax is the only way to go.
Others "who have a life" they prefer to spend time inside their car driving it not outside rubbing on it.
For those who say the Acrylic paint conditioner is BS, I say "keep on using wax". I learned a long time ago "you can't teach a old dog new tricks" so why try?
Experience has always been the best teacher.
It has been my experience that those who cry out in opposition the loudest have never used an Acrylic Paint Conditioner and have nothing to offer but their biased opinion which is worth all of 2 cents.
For those who are open minded, you can find unbiased customer feedback and images on sites such as ebay, Wiki how, Yahoo answers Blurt it, Ask and a multitude of unrelated online forums.

Last edited by sidwynder; 02-26-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 AM

'11 997.2 Carrera GTS
Originally Posted by mac911
I have one or two higher end waxes like Pinnacle Souveran (it truly looks awesome on black but it doesn't last too long).

Most carnauba waxes and carnauba waxes with polishing oils will look awesome on black.

Lighter cars often look good with synthetic sealants too.

A lot of the time I use Meguiar's because I have found you need to always wax more often than you think. No traditional wax or sealant lasts very long. I recommend using quick spray waxes like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax in between full wax jobs, to restore some shine and protection.

ALSO - Once a year at least, you really need to clay a car before waxing. It gets all that sand paper feeling stuff that bonds to the paint off. Then the wax will last longer as it will more easily bond to the paint instead of bonding to the contaminants in the paint.

I also once a year polish out swirls on my black car using a DA polisher, but it can go on forever. You can always do more and more for your car. It has to stop at some point.
Don't forget using iron x or another iron remover on the body of the car and on the wheels before claying. It's amazing how many iron particles penetrate your car.

I don't mind spending hundreds on car wax. I don't do a lot of things that other people do here in vegas like going golfing or clubbing. My gf and I stay at home and we both love our cars. So splurging on high end wax is worth it to us. And there is a difference. You just have to do some prep work and mechanical polishing and it will look great. But a lot of people lease their cars so they won't spend money on detailing it as they won't keep the car. But for a daily driver it might be best to use a sealant for protection like menzerna power lock then top it with at least a decent wax. My 911 however gets spoiled like my dog.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
mine is about 2 years old now, but I bought it this past december...I dont know what the paint history is on it, but it looks like it needs a good polishing and waxing. it looks like theres the typical surface swirl scratches from a number of previous car washes.
what would you recommend for this white paint job? white is very forgiving, and thats basically why I bought it in that color.
NuFinish?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM

GLK350,Ford Escape,Camry,C280
I started looking at detailing after ordering a black, 13 GLK and noticed that the dealer is pushing a Auto Armor Nano Technology Exterior Finish and Interior Protection. I realize this is a profit center, but I haven't detailed a car since I was a kid.
My research landed my at AutoGeek and started looking at their products and online forum. What is the difference between nano and polymer paint sealants, or are they the same thing?
Also found Surf City site.... Lots of detailing info to digest.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I use whatever wax is included in the drive thru car wash at my local gas station. I learned a while ago that its not worth my money and time to care that much for a car I will most likely get rid of in 2 years. TC
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM

CL55, S550, 450SL
I use Autoglym High Definition Wax on my black cars, comes in a small box with applicator and microfiber cloth. I haven't tried the expensive ones like most people here, but for $50, I think the Autoglym is excellent. Easy on, easy off. I also like the Meguiars Ultimate quick wax spray.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tc1728
I use whatever wax is included in the drive thru car wash at my local gas station. I learned a while ago that its not worth my money and time to care that much for a car I will most likely get rid of in 2 years. TC
..."you've lost that car lovin' feeling...oh oh that car lovin' feeling"...
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
Nano paint/wax

Originally Posted by DadinWestcheste
I started looking at detailing after ordering a black, 13 GLK and noticed that the dealer is pushing a Auto Armor Nano Technology Exterior Finish and Interior Protection. I realize this is a profit center, but I haven't detailed a car since I was a kid.
My research landed my at AutoGeek and started looking at their products and online forum. What is the difference between nano and polymer paint sealants, or are they the same thing?
Also found Surf City site.... Lots of detailing info to digest.
MB started using nano paint around 2005. Look up the definition of NANO. No it is not the same as something else. To make a long story short I use Eagle One Nanowax on all my cars and have done for for several years. I don't care what the color is. All my cars are MB's. Newest is #28. Make sure that the other supplies you use are of High Quality. NO Walmart!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by greasykid
MB started using nano paint around 2005. Look up the definition of NANO. No it is not the same as something else. To make a long story short I use Eagle One Nanowax on all my cars and have done for for several years. I don't care what the color is. All my cars are MB's. Newest is #28. Make sure that the other supplies you use are of High Quality. NO Walmart!!!
thats good to know...I just finished applying Meguires polishing compound followed by their new white wax since my car is white...I figured it couldn't hurt...by hand...ive never really cared too much for meguires...always used mothers product...but this one stood out more on the shelf...and decided to give it a shot.

...outstanding finish. does everything that the cadillac ctsv has on the drawing...lots of shine and gleam!!! :-)
both products used together took out light scratches on the clear...made by im assuming from previous car washes...and made the white paint really pop out...theres alot more shine than before...

lets hope it holds up for a couple of months

Last edited by erlomd; 04-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM

none
Originally Posted by erlomd
mine is about 2 years old now, but I bought it this past december...I dont know what the paint history is on it, but it looks like it needs a good polishing and waxing. it looks like theres the typical surface swirl scratches from a number of previous car washes.
what would you recommend for this white paint job? white is very forgiving, and thats basically why I bought it in that color.
NuFinish?
I like Nu Finish, glazes have always been an improvement over wax.
I would not agree that white is a forgiving color.
Much like black, it shows up every thing. and when it looses it's finish it will hold dirt like a magnet and it shows.
You need to avoid the same pitfalls as a car with black paint.
The main thing you want to avoid is unnecessary friction on the paint that will degrade the finish.
Use of any abrasive based product should be avoided and only used as a last resort.
Polish is a very common abrasive, less common is clay and there are so called cleaner waxes with polishing agents ( another word for abrasives) that will wear away at the finish.
As with black the non abrasive approach it the safest route and the best way to start. You want to save what finish you have left as opposed to rubbing it away.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 AM

2011 GLK 350
I am going to try the Meguier's White Wax on my '11 GLK today. We will see.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Whatever... a lot of earlier kindof dated info..

1) Einszett Glanz Wax (Blue Top) for sealant specifically designed for the Mercedes nano clearcoat as a sealant - under $20 on Amazon - consistency like water - objective one section at a time is a thin even coat - let dry/cure for 30 minutes - then wipe off - one can good for like 5-6 GLK's about 6 months apart

2) For additional depth/lustre about 2 weeks later you can add a layer of any good spray "nano" carnuba... again a simple wipe on and wipe off product.

Einszett is great for the wheels too, and won't cloud trim.. new tech and affordable.. great thing about new paint tech if your MB is clean, absolutely positively no buffing neded ever...
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Eagle One

Originally Posted by greasykid
I use Eagle One NANOWAX. Our cars are painted w/nano paint. So I use nano on nano. My 2012 E350 is BLACK and looks great! Of course it has NEVER been through a car wash. Follow up w/same type of detailer.
Our resto guy uses this exclusively and has for the several generations of product. If you go to the Eagle One website their new product seems as easy to apply as NuFinish!

BTW in 08 3M bought Meguiars so it makes sense that their already good products are improving. In the body shop/resto world pros use 3M products; they are the quality standard.

Last edited by grane; 06-10-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Whatever... a lot of earlier kindof dated info..

1) Einszett Glanz Wax (Blue Top) for sealant specifically designed for the Mercedes nano clearcoat as a sealant - under $20 on Amazon - consistency like water - objective one section at a time is a thin even coat - let dry/cure for 30 minutes - then wipe off - one can good for like 5-6 GLK's about 6 months apart

2) For additional depth/lustre about 2 weeks later you can add a layer of any good spray "nano" carnuba... again a simple wipe on and wipe off product.

Einszett is great for the wheels too, and won't cloud trim.. new tech and affordable.. great thing about new paint tech if your MB is clean, absolutely positively no buffing neded ever...
When did MB introduce the "nano paints" and for which models initially? Is there a way to tell by the color code? Standard black paint code seems to be "040" since the early 21st century....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What wax do you use