GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK300 Braking problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLK300 and VW Scirocco
GLK300 Braking problem

I drive VW Scirocco1.4T regularly and totally love its performance. A small but powerful car is a perfect fit for a big crowdy city like Beijing.

My husband drives GLK 300 which was brought last year. As a 10-year experienced driver, he never involved a car accident on road before, but while driving GLK he had two small ones. He complains the brake was inefficient and it took longer than he expected to come into a complete stop.

Well, I drive it today and find the same problem, especially compared with Scirocco. I double checked the car and pretty sure it is not made by Toyota.

Do you guys think it is normal?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 AM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
i always find the brake on the glk quite bad, I have a scirocco 2.0t, and if u compare both of them, glk brake is hopeless, thats why i try to use engine brake all the time, it gives me more confidence
Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
the Scirocco may have bigger brakes (prob not) and is definitely lighter than the GLK. I personally havent found any problems with the GLK brakes. You guys are probably a tad bit spoiled with the coupe's braking performance, you cant compare a coupe's braking distance with a CUV/SUV. Also be reminded that tires plays a bigger role before the brakes. If your tires dont grip, you're brakes are useless. The GLK already has big brakes and are needed for its weight. I have found the brakes to be predictable personally.
I have driven a few other cars thats heavier or have smaller brakes and definitely see no problem with the GLK's brakes.
Also be reminded that new cars come with EBD so the brakes dont just clamp at constant rate, it will brake in order to achieve a non sudden jolt effect.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I've never noticed a problem with braking on my GLK (350).

My other car is a well-equipped G37 so it's not as if I don't have something to compare to.

Last edited by rmfnla; 01-27-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
The brakes on the GLK are effective for the size and weight of the vehicle.

What comes into play is how you brake. First if it is a panic stop you cannot pump the brakes. If you press very hard on the brake pedal you will feel the ABS system kick in. It actually pumps the brakes for you and you can feel it through the pedal. If you do not feel the slight vibration through the pedal then you are not pressing hard enough to activate them.

When they measure braking distance it is done in a panic stop where normally without ABS your wheels would lock up and you would skid. Most cars today have ABS and my guess is that your stop was not a panic stop and you were not pressing hard enough on the brake pedal.

Also keep in mind that the VW Scirocco is about 550 kg lighter than the GLK
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM

Mercedes-Benz GLK300 and VW Scirocco
Thumbs up

Thank you guys. Your replies are very helpful.

The GLK 300 is my first luxury SUV( I have a Honda CRV), and it is a Mercedes,so my high expectation kinda biased the judgement--the unmatch set of super light steering wheel and super heavy brake pedal and the mediocre acceleration. Honestly the GLK disappoints me.

I am thinking trading the GLK with a VW R36. Maybe it is not GLK,it is the philosophy of Benz tha I don't get it.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda 5, GLK350
the 3L engine may be a bit underpowered for the extra weight I guess and if yours is the 2010 ones, the steering is lighter than the 2011s which are tighter.