GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

22" Staggered Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK350
22" Staggered Wheels

I've been looking at purchasing a set of 22" wheels for my GLK. I searched our message board and noticed most people ran the same size wheels all around.

I found a set of wheels I like, and the seller has told me that 22x9 in the front and 22x10.5 in the rear would fit the GLK. Does anyone have this setup on their GLK?? If so, what size tire would you recommend. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ml350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by TeazyGLK
I've been looking at purchasing a set of 22" wheels for my GLK. I searched our message board and noticed most people ran the same size wheels all around.

I found a set of wheels I like, and the seller has told me that 22x9 in the front and 22x10.5 in the rear would fit the GLK. Does anyone have this setup on their GLK?? If so, what size tire would you recommend. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I would imagine the answer should be posted in ebonics since 22" wheels on a GLK would be ridiculous.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Hello TeazyGLK and welcome to the forum. Some of the members are old fuddy duddies so try to ignore those. They are the ones that think that any wheel over 16" is too large.
I don’t own a GLK but here is a thread that might help you.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...fset-glks.html

Good Luck. Post pics of your sweet ride and your "ridiculous" 22's when you get them.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GL450, '06 R500 traded, '08 ML350 sold
I am not old and grumpy as described above but I don't see the point of owing an SUV and changing its of road characteristics completely by going with extremely thin tire profile. Then again the car is yours and you can turn it upside down if you like. Just don't complain when you feel every bump on the road and have bent rims.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 AM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Hu99
I would imagine the answer should be posted in ebonics since 22" wheels on a GLK would be ridiculous.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding my wheel choice, but what is meant by "the answer should be posted in ebonics??" Can you please explain to me the reasoning behind your response to my question because your ignorance makes little sense to me. I'd much rather you answer my question, than show your ignorance in a failed attempt at humor.

Aggst, again what's your point. My question was very specific. I asked a wheel fitment question. I DID NOT ask how YOU felt about what I was planning on doing with MY car. If I wanted your opinion regarding bent rims, ride quality, etc., I would have certainly sent you a personal message asking your opinion.

Tjdehya..thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the helpful response. I will be sure to post pics when I make a decision on the wheels.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded

Yes, the infamous Brabus GLK uses that set up. Looks nice! Drives nice too I bet! You would need to do two more things though ... One, drop the car at least 1 inch, Two, change out the rather small and puny looking stock OEM calipers and rotors with something larger to fill up the inside of those huge wheels! (See pic below. See?... You'll NEED those larger brakes or the look is ruined.)

Larger like these..

Contact Brabus for correct fitment & tire sizes: BRABUS USA 1711 McGaw Avenue, Irvine, CA 92614 ph. 1.949.229.1770 fax. 1.949.863.1944

Good luck!

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-08-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
Mmmm bigger brakes... Good idea! Just gotta first save some money for them oz rims. But yeah brabus 22" looks awesome. I mean our glks aren't really SUVs anymore and as much as I'd love to downsize to suv at tires, I think it may spoil the road handling capabilities it has. I'd hate to drive like a truck :p
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
Massive redonkulus monies reserves will be exhausted... With rims, tires, brakes and rotors - you're looking at $8k on the shy side... Barabus prices indeed...

(I'd save the cash for a CLS 550 =o) but, that's just me... )...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350, 09 ZX6r race bike, 06 YZ250f
Man would I love those brakes on mine!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Aggst1, again what's your point. My question was very specific. I asked a wheel fitment question. I DID NOT ask how YOU felt about what I was planning on doing with MY car. If I wanted your opinion regarding bent rims, ride quality, etc., I would have certainly sent you a personal message asking your opinion.
I am very sorry you feel you did not get your money's worth reading my answer. You act as if I am representing an organization and I just provided you poor customer service. If I feel like posting what I think about something I will certainly not ask you. It is a public forum and I live in a free country. As long as I obey forum rules (which I do) then I am entitled to communicate an opinion just like you. Sorry you didnt like my answer which has nothing to do with aesthetics and everything to do with performance. Hey as far as I m concerned put on 24s.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by aggst1
I am very sorry you feel you did not get your money's worth reading my answer. You act as if I am representing an organization and I just provided you poor customer service. If I feel like posting what I think about something I will certainly not ask you. It is a public forum and I live in a free country. As long as I obey forum rules (which I do) then I am entitled to communicate an opinion just like you. Sorry you didnt like my answer which has nothing to do with aesthetics and everything to do with performance. Hey as far as I m concerned put on 24s.
As I stated previously, you're entitled to your opinion. I fully agree that this is a free country...i learned all those concepts in Con Law..thanks for the refresher! You don't have to ask me to post anything...but your post related directly to my question, so therefore I wanted to know how your response helped me with the question I posed?!? Again, I have no idea what you're talking about...I just felt that your response was irrelevant to my initial question...but it's all good. You probably were one of those kids in school that when asked to spell "Cat" you'd answer "Four plus four!" Under your reasoning...whatever you speak is the correct answer...who cares if you answer the actual question...haha.

You know what...just for you..I'll rephrase my question just for you, "Would anyone be adverse to me putting 22" wheels on my GLK??? Can someone please explain to me the negative effects of putting 22" wheels on a GLK???"

There ya go buddy...thanks for your response!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM

As I stated previously, you're entitled to your opinion. I fully agree that this is a free country...i learned all those concepts in Con Law..thanks for the refresher! You don't have to ask me to post anything...but your post related directly to my question, so therefore I wanted to know how your response helped me with the question I posed?!? Again, I have no idea what you're talking about...I just felt that your response was irrelevant to my initial question...but it's all good. You probably were one of those kids in school that when asked to spell "Cat" you'd answer "Four plus four!" Under your reasoning...whatever you speak is the correct answer...who cares if you answer the actual question...haha.

You know what...just for you..I'll rephrase my question just for you, "Would anyone be adverse to me putting 22" wheels on my GLK??? Can someone please explain to me the negative effects of putting 22" wheels on a GLK???"

There ya go buddy...thanks for your response!
Wow! You ve studied law!!! Somehow it doesn't show. Again I am truly sorry my answer was not to your liking. Hope you enjoy your car! You will remember this conversation when you realize what you are doing (converting a SUV to a street rod and ending up with none of the benefits of any of the two) 'nough said!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM

GLK350
Wow! You ve studied law!!! Somehow it doesn't show. Again I am truly sorry my answer was not to your liking. Hope you enjoy your car! You will remember this conversation when you realize what you are doing (converting a SUV to a street rod and ending up with none of the benefits of any of the two) 'nough said!
haha...i apologize...no more arguing out of me..we can agree to disagree. You enjoy taking your GLK on the Oregon Trail, over mountains, and through treacherous terrain. For someone who's sooooo pro-SUV...i find it strange you purchased a GLK...why not get a Hummer or Escalade so you can really enjoy the "benefits" of an suv??.. In my opinion, the GLK DOES NOT scream SUV, but as long as you're happy..that's all that matters! I'll enjoy riding my GLK on the open road and the "benefits" of looking good while doing it.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM

haha...i apologize...no more arguing out of me..we can agree to disagree. You enjoy taking your GLK on the Oregon Trail, over mountains, and through treacherous terrain. For someone who's sooooo pro-SUV...i find it strange you purchased a GLK...why not get a Hummer or Escalade so you can really enjoy the "benefits" of an suv??.. In my opinion, the GLK DOES NOT scream SUV, but as long as you're happy..that's all that matters! I'll enjoy riding my GLK on the open road and the "benefits" of looking good while doing it.
Don't have a GLK. Too small and entry level for me. I have a ML350 and a R500. Also just so you know (just as I suspected you have no idea about cars) the Escalade is not much of an SUV either. Next time read profiles before you start ranting. By the way WELCOME to the forum.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:24 PM

GLK350
Thumbs up

Don't have a GLK. Too small and entry level for me. I have a ML350 and a R500. Also just so you know (just as I suspected you have no idea about cars) the Escalade is not much of an SUV either. Next time read profiles before you start ranting. By the way WELCOME to the forum.
Wow...I guess since I made the inexcusable mistake of actually thinking someone posting in a GLK forum would actually own a GLK..i must officially have NO IDEA about cars....geez how dumb could I be!?! I will no longer assume individuals posting in the GLK forum actually own GLKs...truly a dumb mistake on my behalf! I'll just take my small entry level SUV and go home I guess. Please excuse me for asking, but if GLKs are "too small and entry level" for you...why the heck do you even care what goes on or is written in this forum. Toyota camrys are "too small and entry level" for me, therefore I dont have a care in the world as to what's going on in the camry forum...just a question...but it's a free world! although i've been slightly confused by your reasoning...i've enjoyed the debate and appreciate the welcome to the forum.

I may sell my entry level SUV and step up to a RAV-4
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Wow...I guess since I made the inexcusable mistake of actually thinking someone posting in a GLK forum would actually own a GLK..i must officially have NO IDEA about cars....geez how dumb could I be!?! I will no longer assume individuals posting in the GLK forum actually own GLKs...truly a dumb mistake on my behalf! I'll just take my small entry level SUV and go home I guess. Please excuse me for asking, but if GLKs are "too small and entry level" for you...why the heck do you even care what goes on or is written in this forum. Toyota camrys are "too small and entry level" for me, therefore I dont have a care in the world as to what's going on in the camry forum...just a question...but it's a free world! although i've been slightly confused by your reasoning...i've enjoyed the debate and appreciate the welcome to the forum.

I may sell my entry level SUV and step up to a RAV-4
GLKs share a lot with MLs including motor and transmission. As far as your Toyota example, don't you think you need to grow up already?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM

GLK350
GLKs share a lot with MLs including motor and transmission. As far as your Toyota example, don't you think you need to grow up already?
I agree...I joined this forum to gain and learn information regarding the GLK. You do sound like you know your stuff...I'm not a bad guy and i'm sure you aren't either. Just don't let me see you with 22s...haha!!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM

And you will learn a lot in this forum as most of us have. One needs to keep a positive attitude and if they don't like one of the posts then so be it. Why take offense!
Let us know how your project turns out!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
I agree...I joined this forum to gain and learn information regarding the GLK. You do sound like you know your stuff...I'm not a bad guy and i'm sure you aren't either. Just don't let me see you with 22s...haha!!
You're not alone Teazy in your frustration. It's okay. We have all learned how to deal with him.

"Would anyone be adverse to me putting 22" wheels on my GLK??? Can someone please explain to me the negative effects of putting 22" wheels on a GLK???"
Anyways, contrary to popular belief, there are no real benefits from oversize wheels and tires other than looks, unless you match them with more POWER and a stiffer suspension. Increases in unsprung weight can make the vehicle slower, sluggish and less responsive if you do not increase your engine's output to match that offset. You can expect to add at least another 80-120lbs, that's 20-30lbs per axle, with 22 rims/tires/huge calipers/rotors etc. Not only does it increase the overall weight of the car, it places more stress on each axle for the engine to turn those suckers, plus it takes MORE BRAKE POWER to STOP as well, hence the reason I mentioned the larger brake system.

Another words, it's all "looks" unless you decide to go all out and do it right.

(PS: I do own a GLK, plus I'm a NISMO tuner.)

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-07-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
You're not alone Teazy in your frustration. It's okay. We have all learned how to deal with him.

Anyways, contrary to popular belief, there are no real benefits from oversize wheels and tires other than looks, unless you match them with more POWER and a stiffer suspension. Increases in unsprung weight can make the vehicle slower, sluggish and less responsive if you do not increase your engine's output to match that offset. You can expect to add at least another 80-120lbs, that's 20-30lbs per axle, with 22 rims/tires/huge calipers/rotors etc. Not only does it increase the overall weight of the car, it places more stress on each axle for the engine to turn those suckers, plus it takes MORE BRAKE POWER to STOP as well, hence the reason I mentioned the larger brake system.

Another words, it's all "looks" unless you decide to go all out and do it right.

(PS: I do own a GLK, plus I'm a NISMO tuner.)
Since your post is not disputing mine why do you feel the need to show newcomers what a piece of work you are?

Last edited by aggst1; 03-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well the fact is he already had a small taste of what you do here.... I was simply trying to ease his obvious frustration with you by explaining what most here already know..... A) You always answer questions with worthless nonsense that rarely has anything to do with the original question, and B) you don't even own a GLK.... so the obvious question is... why are you even here?

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-08-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added Bold
Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Well the fact is he already had a small taste of what you do here.... I was simply trying to ease his obvious frustration with you by explaining what most here already know..... A) You always answer questions with worthless nonsense that rarely has anything to do with the original question, and B) you don't even own a GLK.... so the obvious question is... why are you even here?
Once again you are jumping in and harassing me! This is the second thread you are doing this the past few months! I honestly cannot understand why?
All I did was stated my opinion. You have a similar opinion to mine and still made derogatory comments against me. Wether or not YOU feel I contribute to the forum is totally irrelevant! The OP asked a question regarding 22" wheels on a GLK (staggered nonetheless) and I question this move since as we all know with 22 inch wheels you WILL loose a lot of the SUV characteristics such as off-road capabilities and winter weather handling etc. (22" wheels will require a very wide wheel and therefore will be unsuitable for driving on snow!) Might not be the answer anyone wants but it adds value to the forum so that folks consider one more thing before they empty out their wallets and the end result is NOT at all what they expected! Even if the OP lives in a warm climate area and off-road is not a consideration, STILL AFAIK he would be better off buying a car instead of a SUV because all he is doing is trying to convert the SUV to a more "street" type vehicle. As I said before, the end result will be having an uncomfortable ride, and none of the SUV or sport car characteristics! If anyone does not like my comments then tough cookies! Move on! The OP eventually understood where I am coming from.

Consider yourself warned. One more post like that and I will report you to the moderators. I have the threads to backup my case.

I don't have a GLK yes (I drove one for two weeks last year when I was thinking of buying one but was too small for my needs). Where does it say that one needs to be an owner of the car to participate in the conversations? Besides, my ML350 has the same motor, the same tranny and other systems.

Last but not least , I have been a member of this forum (there is only one forum with multiple sub-forums) since 2005, and will not allow you or anyone to harass me. You act as if you own the place! You were a member for a few months and already put up a sticky for the newbies!!! ENOUGH! I don't have to answer to you why I post in this forum!

Last edited by aggst1; 03-07-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
STILL AFAIK he would be better off buying a car instead of a SUV because all he is doing is trying to convert the SUV to a more "street" type vehicle. As I said before, the end result will be having an uncomfortable ride, and none of the SUV or sport car characteristics! If anyone does not like my comments then tough cookies! Move on! The OP eventually understood where I am coming from.
I am not trying to pick on you aagst1 but it sounds like you dont know what a GLK is.

Here is a link to the brochure http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...-GLK-Class.pdf

Perhaps this will help you understand Mercedes targeted market with the GLK.
And that Mercedes builds this vehicle for more people than you may think.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I am not trying to pick on you aagst1 but it sounds like you dont know what a GLK is.

Here is a link to the brochure http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...-GLK-Class.pdf

Perhaps this will help you understand Mercedes targeted market with the GLK.
And that Mercedes builds this vehicle for more people than you may think.
I do understand what a GLK is. Trust me! All I am saying is, that one should consider the downside to fitting 22 inch wheels in that vehicle! If I am SO WRONG, can one explain why tirerack does NOT carry wheels larger than 20" for the GLK? If it is such a great idea, wouldn't the largest wheel/tire outlet in the land want to make some sales???

In my view, you are re-purposing the vehicle... You are going for better looks but you are loosing a lot on the way! Just like you would if you raised your E550 10 inches and put all terrain tires on the largest wheel you can! LOL If someone is fine with the negatives such as harsher ride quality, possibly extra weight (although that is not so much an issue with light alloys), and poor pothole performance, then that's cool! All I am saying is, consider the drawbacks (been there done that!). Forget going off road even on smooth unpaved roads, and forget about winter driving since the tires will need to be 265x35 or something like that! Can't expect snow performance with wide tires like that. Also, the handling will be improved a bit, no question BUT the car will still have a high (SUV like) center of gravity. So you will have a capable SUV with wheel/tire combo of a hotrod, and in the end won't perform like an SUV nor like a hotrod... It will look cool though!

I don't think you are picking on me as you are making a valid argument instead of ranting like others have. Besides, we have something in common. According to some, you and I do not belong in this forum since we are not GLK owners...

Last edited by aggst1; 03-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Original:
Since your post is not disputing mine why do you feel the need to show newcomers what an ahole you are?
Edited:
Since your post is not disputing mine why do you feel the need to show newcomers what a piece of work you are?
Good thing you decided to edit and clean up this post. However the original foul mouthed version has been noted and reviewed. Simply put, I wasn't "harassing you" but sticking up for a newbie that you picked an argument with. I'd say he has a good case.

Now, you feel the GLK should not have 22" rims just because the TireRack doesn't sell them even though a world famous Mercedes Tuner *Brabus* does, as I have stated! Who do you think knows the car better, The TireRack or Brabus? This illogical argument says it all IMO.

Last edited by MBRedux; 03-08-2011 at 12:07 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 22" Staggered Wheels