GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

HID kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STI
HID kit

I know people who are non-xenon have added HIDs to their GLKs. What is a good quality kit most of you use? I know there are kits that range from 60-300. Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
Originally Posted by STEV350
I know people who are non-xenon have added HIDs to their GLKs. What is a good quality kit most of you use? I know there are kits that range from 60-300. Any suggestions?
I just added the Xentec HID Kits with 5000K bulbs. It is working great and I am not seeing any change to light projection pattern on the road. See attached pictures.

There is no good HID Kits out there since all of them is coming from some China factory with similar design and components inside. I speaking about that based on my 10 years of experience on dealing with them on MB design (in those desktop/Laptop you can buy in Bestbuy) coming out from China.

This Xenon Kits that I have is not any better from any other base on my research on the internet. Main reason is the re-seller has no way to perform the quality check or reliability test on those Kits unless they have all of the headlight from different car manufacturers. I am also believe it is the same when coming out from China factory.

So, I brought the cheap HID Kits from Ebay ($37) and installed myself base on the DYI from other discussion on this forum. Why? I believe as long the seller willing to replace any defective part I would happy to be the one testing the quality and reliability of the kits.

Remember, you get what you are paying for and the testing cost some time is several time higher that the actual part - especially on this simple design with not much of profit into it.

Don't buy the expensive one if you can't tell what is coming to you is not any different from what I have.

Don't buy the cheapest one ($24 lowest on internet) since these sellers will not honor their warranty.

On the pictures attached are the Kits that I got from Ebay and it is working great after I install both sides and drove to Walmart with my wife. She is impressed on the dollars we spent vs. the result.
Attached Thumbnails HID kit-hid_left_halogen_right.jpg   HID kit-img_1090.jpg   HID kit-img_1092.jpg  

Last edited by austinglk350; 04-04-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 AM

STI
Thank you, it seems as though a few are using xentecs
Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
There is a difference if you care to look.
Phillips in Germany has been marketing an HID conversion kit with lighting modules made in Germany that are designed to fit in standard European halogen fixtures. These are not cheap China sourced HID lighting modules with plastic bases added to make them fit but designed from the start to fit halogen fixtures. These upgrade kits are not marketed by Phillips to be sold in North America because USA/DOT lighting fixtures create illegal levels of glare when brighter than stock HID lighting sources are installed in any DOT compliant lighting fixture and there is no way to eliminate the glare by corrective aiming.
There are many places selling these kits to North American buyers including eBay.
They are priced a little higher than the cheap kits but you do get what you pay for and they are no higher than other premium HID upgrade kits. Just remember that they like ALL OTHER HID kits sold are illegal for on road use in USA.
A general rule to remember is this: If you can see your headlights lighting the interior of the car in front of you you are making illegal amounts of glare or your headlights are aimed too high if you are using your low or dipped beam.
NOTE:
The blue plastic surrounding he H7 lamp is he protective housing it is shipped in.
Attached Thumbnails HID kit-zmade_in_germany.jpg   HID kit-zwarranty-1.jpg   HID kit-zh4.jpg   HID kit-zh7.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM

MB C450 AMG Sport
I installed the Xentech slim packages, they work great, and i love the light, i put them in the fog lights as well, my pics are in the thread labeled GLKPICS. The only thing i dont like about them is that when the temp reaches below 55, which is almost never here in south fl, they tend to flicker a bit, other than that, they work great.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 AM

GLK350
I will buy the Philips HID kits if my current one died - which is going to be a while since I do not drive much at night.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM

GLK 350 w/NAV, Multimedia
I have installed my Xenon HID kit yesterday and it looks awesome! I bought a kit that has a digital ballasts which built in igniter and error canceler capacitor all in one. If you buy a cheap HID kit, it does not include any of those and you have to buy a relay wire separately which means more wires that I don't want.
My suggestion is buy the kits range from $80 to $150 and READ DESCRIPTIONS before you buy always. To me over $200 kits are wasting of money. Also I'm using 6000K temperature bulb and really pretty at night but that's a personal preference. However, I suggest 5000k or 6000k.

It took almost an hour to install and the passenger side was easy but the driver side one needed some technical skill to do that because it was blocked by wheel housing cover and other wires and pipes.

I went to a local MB specialized shop and quoted $150 but I called a guy who is doing HID installation and he did a good job.

Last edited by Nicehawk; 04-10-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 AM

GLK350
I don't have to install any relay or have any error from this cheap $37 HID kits. It is working so far so good.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 AM

c300
xentec are not good and cheap china made hid kit. I bought mine from www.xenonhidconversionkit.com and they work great. I highly recommand the kit to everyone that searched a high quality hid kit. They offer free shipping and lifetime warranty. I also didnt have any lamp out error or any flickering.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by austinglk350
I just added the Xentec HID Kits with 5000K bulbs. It is working great and I am not seeing any change to light projection pattern on the road.
Hello,

How is your Xentec so far? you didnt get any errors even though you did not install any canceller or capacitor?

I am planning to install this soon but i ordered the canceller

thanks