GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New GLK - weak seatback clips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
New GLK - weak seatback clips?

I just got my special order GLK 4matic on Monday night - after a four month wait - but worth it, I'm sure.

However, last night I stopped by my dealer to sign up for embrace plus service.
He thoughtfully put all the paperwork in a folder for me, then I put it in my briefcase.
When I got home I decided to keep it (the paperwork) in the car until I check the service today.

The drivers side seat back pocket seemed ideal for the job, so I opened the rear door, and started to pull the map pocket open.
Now I admit the new elastic was quite stiff, and took some effort to pull open, but before it was fully open the entire seat-back panel came off in my hand! <opps>

Just imagine, if you can, there I am - standing in my driveway beside my beautiful new GLK - and the whole seat-back is hanging from my hand.
Quickly looking around I (thankfully) saw no one watching, looked at the various plastic clips and metal bars on the seat and detached panel, and was able to do a credible job of re assembly.

Here is where I could some help.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Does this sound like something the dealer can/should fix?
A one-off factory defect?

All advice is appreciated.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by arklab
I just got my special order GLK 4matic on Monday night - after a four month wait - but worth it, I'm sure.

However, last night I stopped by my dealer to sign up for embrace plus service.
He thoughtfully put all the paperwork in a folder for me, then I put it in my briefcase.
When I got home I decided to keep it (the paperwork) in the car until I check the service today.

The drivers side seat back pocket seemed ideal for the job, so I opened the rear door, and started to pull the map pocket open.
Now I admit the new elastic was quite stiff, and took some effort to pull open, but before it was fully open the entire seat-back panel came off in my hand! <opps>

Just imagine, if you can, there I am - standing in my driveway beside my beautiful new GLK - and the whole seat-back is hanging from my hand.
Quickly looking around I (thankfully) saw no one watching, looked at the various plastic clips and metal bars on the seat and detached panel, and was able to do a credible job of re assembly.

Here is where I could some help.
Has anyone else had this happen? (NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF)
Does this sound like something the dealer can/should fix? (NO, THE WARRANTY IS NOW VOID... OF COURSE THE DEALER NEEDS TO KNOW. I WOULD HAVE LEFT IT OFF AND HAD THEM INSTALL/FIX/REPLACE THE PANEL MYSELF. ON SECOND THOUGHT, IF IT WENT BACK AND IT FEELS FIRM AND SECURE, PROBABLY NOT! IF IT APPEARS OKAY WITH NO SIGNS OF WEAKNESS, I'D SAY IT'S OKAY.)
A one-off factory defect? (APPEARS TO BE THE CASE.)

All advice is appreciated.
YOU'RE WELCOME!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I would have left it off and brought it back to the dealer. Do they think you are Hercules. Did you try the other side? Gently though!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Thanks, all.

i'm at the dealers now (free car wash!) and they will check and fix Monday - service closed today.
I really am very happy with this agency - Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel and my salesman Mr. Steven Hall.

I guess my question now is if anyone else has had this problem and what was the fix?

good bye for now.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
first time i've heard of this one