GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Ugly Break Dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Ugly Break Dust

Last month when my GLK was serviced by MB dealership (Service A, or 10,000 miles) They told me the break pad thickness was good, along with every thing on the vehicle. So its going to be a while before I can switch to low carbon pads, in the meantime wheels keep getting dirty from ugly break dust, and very quickly I might add.
Besides waxing, is there any quick remedies that may work? Which wheel cleaners work? I tried Meguiare's all wheel cleaner, not impressed!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
No... If you're asking if there is a way to quickly clean off your wheels, it all depends on how well you wish them to look, and in what shape you wish to leave them in when you're done. I mean they will look as good as the effort given.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Must be something special about my brake pads. I have never had the problem with dark rims from brake dust. Maybe because a do a lot of highway driving or the composition of my pads are different.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Yeah, this model seems to be the worst of any of them. Mine get dirty from a trip to the grocery store. I recently re-did brakes on our 325 'vert and they must be a slightly different compound as they are half as dusty as the previous sets. Initial bite isn't quite the same but it drives fine just the same. That thing eats pads and rotors every 18K. I think this was the 4th set for us on it. Always gets new rotors too.

Since you've posted your comments/concerns it would seem to be a big issue for you, so my suggestion would be to not wait to replace the pads with something more low-dust. Do it now before the rotors are scored so bad you can't just replace pads.

I don't recall if akibono has a more dust-free pad out for these yet. That's what I would be going for. You should be able to throw a set on there for a hundred bucks or so, even if you just did the fronts.

I just wash mine off once a week, some car wash soap and a mitt and it's pretty quick. Even if the car isn't dirty. It never rains in southern california...
Old 08-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Dirty Wheels

I have been putting "REJEX" on mny wheels since I bought the car, I have 16000 miles on my car and the wheels still look great. The rejex lets you wash the brake dust off much easier than anything else that I tried and I am a fanatic, I spray simple green on the wheels, soap them and the dust is gone. If you really dry off the wheels put the rejex on and wait 20 minutes till you wipe off the wax it will make your life much easier. Dust will start coming back as soon as you apply the brakes but the REJEX seems to keep them a little cleaner-this is the way our GLK 350 is..