GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Electronic problems after install HID ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Electronic problems after install HID ??

Hi, I had my 2011 GLK350 4matics in Vancouver, Canada, when I order my car, I couldn't get the "light Package" in stock. So right now, I'm looking to install some brighter low beam and fog light on my GLK.

Did any one had any electronic problems after they installed aftermarket HID light?

I was asking the Mercedes-Benz technical department here about which part of my car's warranty will be voided if I install HID myself?
Got the answer back is headlight will be void from warranty for sure, and battery maybe, the lighting control maybe effect, also the computer chipset of the lighting part maybe effect...... it may not have problems right away, but maybe after 1 year or 2. At last he mentioned, "we won't touch those cars installed aftermarket stuff if it got problems bring back to us, you have to put everything back to original for us to touch."

It sounds really scary right? That's why I wondering did anyone here heard anything or any problems after ppl installed HID on their GLK?

Or I should just install the better quality PIAA halogen bulbs on it?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
No problems on my 2011- have been to the dealer several times, I have HIDS, PIAA's for high beams, a strutbar, knockoff MB 20's and my ECU has been programmed by Powerchip "and" there might have even been a roach in the ashtray. Your dealer sounds like a wad. Then again the way you asked your question when you spoke with them, you set yourself up for failure... what did you expect them to say? Re: the HIDS, you'll need the the relays a.k.a. the error cancellers...

Originally Posted by ken1025
Hi, I had my 2011 GLK350 4matics in Vancouver, Canada, when I order my car, I couldn't get the "light Package" in stock. So right now, I'm looking to install some brighter low beam and fog light on my GLK.

Did any one had any electronic problems after they installed aftermarket HID light?

I was asking the Mercedes-Benz technical department here about which part of my car's warranty will be voided if I install HID myself?
Got the answer back is headlight will be void from warranty for sure, and battery maybe, the lighting control maybe effect, also the computer chipset of the lighting part maybe effect...... it may not have problems right away, but maybe after 1 year or 2. At last he mentioned, "we won't touch those cars installed aftermarket stuff if it got problems bring back to us, you have to put everything back to original for us to touch."

It sounds really scary right? That's why I wondering did anyone here heard anything or any problems after ppl installed HID on their GLK?

Or I should just install the better quality PIAA halogen bulbs on it?

Last edited by emdem; 09-14-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by emdem
No problems on my 2011- have been to the dealer several times, I have HIDS, PIAA's for high beams, a strutbar, knockoff MB 20's and my ECU has been programmed by Powerchip "and" there might have even been a roach in the ashtray. Your dealer sounds like a wad. Then again the way you asked your question when you spoke with them, you set yourself up for failure... what did you expect them to say? Re: the HIDS, you'll need the the relays a.k.a. the error cancellers...

Did the ECU reprogramming make a noticable difference?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E550 Coupe
Slight - it was more for the gas mileage and to get the full use of 93 octane. It's a little more punchy and seems to get up and go better. I would wait for one of the group buys so as not to pay full price.

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Did the ECU reprogramming make a noticeable difference?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 155 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
nothing will happen with your electricals. you have the ballast on the hids and the only thing that you need to do is plug the wires + the relay. word of advise, stay away from cheap HID kits. You spend close to $53,000 on your ride and make sure not to cheap out on little things like that. Can't believe you can't find a car with light package in vancouver. the lower mainland is crawling with glks with light package. You sure you ordered the car or you went for the summer clearance event?

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 09-20-2011 at 03:18 AM.