GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Backup camera Part1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by ble2716
The plug with the green connector is where the backup camera plug into.

I am not sure what you have there before.... could be a backup camera before that ??
I don't know, are there any way to check? I bought used vehicle after lease, I don't think it had camera before. Are there any idea how can I check where this cable goes to?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I think the only way to check where that connector leading to is to trace it but it could be difficult.

Or you just ignore it and plug your newly connected backup camera into that connector and test it out.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 AM

GLK 350 2010
I think the only way to check where that connector leading to is to trace it but it could be difficult.

Or you just ignore it and plug your newly connected backup camera into that connector and test it out.
Ignoring the cable doesn't seem right. I unattached the cable and DVD video and navigation seemed continues to work. May be it is cable for rear camera I just simply didn't have the camera itself.

Here are the labels on the cable. Can we figure out by the label what kind of cable it is?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 AM

Very very slow
glkwalker,

Normally I don't ignore anything especially cables connected to the back of the command unit but your situation is a bit different.

If you want to find out where it lead to just trace it.

I think that cable is for the rearview camera but you've confirmed earlier that your car didn't have the camera on your car.

For me, when I installed my camera that connector was empty.

For the folks with that backup camera installed from factory, I don't think they will just pull out the unit and check it for you.

Right now you are in the process of connecting the new camera, why not just plug it in there and see if it works or not.

And if you still want to find out where that cable lead to just follow it.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM

GLK 350 2010
Following the cable visually without using special tracing equipment is not "just", it is almost impossible project. At least I don't know how to do it without disassembling whole car interior.

I actually found that there is camera controller device somewhere at the back of the car where camera could be attached, but I cannot understand how to access it. X1 means camera power.

Last edited by glkwalker; 07-03-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Possibly the car was wired for camera at factory but not installed. Check in the menus to see if the camera was activated. Also check the menus to see if any other video device, such as rear seat videos were activated. If not unplug it and see if any thing video in the radio does not work. This is definitely a video input only and would not affect any other system in the vehicle.
Kroshu is a German manufacturer of cables It is a video coax, the B means its sheath is rated for 105 °C.
As far as I can determine, this input is only used when reverse is selected if the rear camera is active in the menues.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 PM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by bop11
Possibly the car was wired for camera at factory but not installed. Check in the menus to see if the camera was activated. Also check the menus to see if any other video device, such as rear seat videos were activated.
I guess it should be the Service menu? It is huge. Where in the menu I can check that rear seat videos activated?

The camera wasn't activated in the menu. I just checked. I also found a document in WIS ar54.65-p-0032cy about installation Rear Camera Controller (N66/10) which is used for powering the camera. And it is told there that it must be located in the left rear wing. I checked and I don't have that one installed. But I will check tomorrow if the video cable X1/23 which goes to the right wing. I just need to figure out how to disassemble rear right interior in the trunk.

We also used electromagnetic tracer which helps finding where the cable goes inside the cabin, it was very difficult to trace it because it is isolated very well, but we found one spot close to front right door so I assume it goes on the right side. I initially suspected it would go under the central console but seems no.

Last edited by glkwalker; 07-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Banned

google
but how long did it take?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM

2012 GLK
backup camera for GLK

For $875 had a local car electronics shop install a backup camera for the small screen on my 2012 GLK with nav. Works fine, just like the factory model for the 7 inch screen, automatically turns on when vehicle is in reverse. Much less expensive than the factory version with the 7 inch screen.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM

2012 GLK350
i use my backup camera quite a lot! especially when seeing how far my car is from the wall :P
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM

GLK 350 2010
Another question about attaching 12V camera wires. In the first post it is said that wires shouldn't be attached to backup lights at it misleads the computer which checks if bulb is working properly. It was recommended attaching it to constant 12V wire somewhere else.

But my backup camera has LED lights which are turned on when power is supplied. So I cannot connect it to a constant power source as the LED would be lit up all the time. So I need to connect it somewhere else. But where?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
Originally Posted by glkwalker
Another question about attaching 12V camera wires. In the first post it is said that wires shouldn't be attached to backup lights at it misleads the computer which checks if bulb is working properly. It was recommended attaching it to constant 12V wire somewhere else.

But my backup camera has LED lights which are turned on when power is supplied. So I cannot connect it to a constant power source as the LED would be lit up all the time. So I need to connect it somewhere else. But where?
Going along with this, what power source is connected when the factory backup camera is used? Is it constant or a backup circuit? If it is a backup circuit, is it different from one that can be tapped or is the computer set with a different tolerance for monitoring current when a factory unit is installed?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by mbzusr
Going along with this, what power source is connected when the factory backup camera is used? Is it constant or a backup circuit? If it is a backup circuit, is it different from one that can be tapped or is the computer set with a different tolerance for monitoring current when a factory unit is installed?
That's a good question. I researched EWA EPC and WIS and there is special power module is usually installed above left rear wheel which can be accessed from the inside from the trunk. I looked at that space in my car and I have no such power module in there but I have manufacturers holes for it. So I guess I would have find some tricky way where to connect the camera to The rest questions -- I don't have answers unfortunately.

But I still don't know where the factory power module is connected to and how it knows when rear gear is turned on. There should be some wire I guess which I could attach to.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
The blue arc's from the top with red connecting arc is programmed in by Mercedes.
Just picked up a 2010 GLK with factory backup camera and it doesn't show any of the lines. Is there somewhere they can be switched on and off?

• Screen Setup
    • tested out the screen interface by holding Phone hang-up, 1 and # for 10 seconds.
Is that how you enter the service mode for the Command system?

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Very very slow
Originally Posted by Kevin R
Just picked up a 2010 GLK with factory backup camera and it doesn't show any of the lines. Is there somewhere they can be switched on and off?
[/LIST][/LIST]Is that how you enter the service mode for the Command system?

Thanks for the info!

Yes it is there way to get into engineering mode.
( Press and hold HANG UP + 1 + #)

[/QUOTE=bop11] you can elliminate 1 set of guide lines if you go to the 4th page of the HI setup (see above for getting into programs) and turn off the SRVC Guidelines. On mine it is the last item. It seems to take a restart to have any of these changes take effect. [/QUOTE]

Be very cautious about making changes in this menu.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Yes it is there way to get into engineering mode.
( Press and hold HANG UP + 1 + #)
Thanks.

The only options under the rear camera setting were:

SRVC
DRVM
DRVM-PSC

In the previous menu SRVC was what showed up as active. Not sure what the other selections do so I was too paranoid to try them. Is it possible the Command version in my GLK doesn't have rear camera guidelines available?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
If I remember correctly, the guidelines are on the 4th page of the HU {7.7 HU Parameter (4/4)}. what you are looking at is on the 3rd page of the HU setup.
The SRVC is Standard Rear View Camera
DRVM Driver Rear View Mirror
DRVM-PSC Driver Rear View Mirror and Passenger Side Camera
Many vehicles have 2 or 3 or even 4 cameras for trailer usage. The Range Rover had 4 cameras for full view with a trailer.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
If I remember correctly, the guidelines are on the 4th page of the HU {7.7 HU Parameter (4/4)}. what you are looking at is on the 3rd page of the HU setup.
The SRVC is Standard Rear View Camera
DRVM Driver Rear View Mirror
DRVM-PSC Driver Rear View Mirror and Passenger Side Camera
Many vehicles have 2 or 3 or even 4 cameras for trailer usage. The Range Rover had 4 cameras for full view with a trailer.
Thanks for the info.

There are only 3 pages in the HU setup menu on my GLK (it displays '3/3' at the top). I've read other people saying there is another set of options in some other mode accessed by pressing various buttons but it was with regard to the sound system.

Maybe I will just take it to the dealer and ask them to activate the guidelines and see if they will update the Command software. Which menu do we find the software version?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Looks like too much effort.. Think I will stick with the old fashion method. If my next car has a backup camera great,, if it doesn't .. No biggie, just another gadget to malfunction at one point.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 350, 300ce
Originally Posted by Jlazer
Looks like too much effort.. Think I will stick with the old fashion method. If my next car has a backup camera great,, if it doesn't .. No biggie, just another gadget to malfunction at one point.

I agree. I really appreciate this thread and have copied the information in case I ever want to have a weekend project to do.

The GLK has great visibility through the rear windows, which was one of my personal purchase criteria.

But in Today's world, a lot of cars are being built with a ridiculously high trunk, so much so that they may as well be called hatchbacks. But they are worse than hatchbacks because there is nothing that allows visibility to the back except optional cameras. I see no purpose for their rear windows except for a view of the sky.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:35 PM

MB GLK 220
Perfect DIY

I had great use of this detailed DIY. Its a simple install. Got the camera from eBay. Had to do some modifications as it was not a perfect fit. Dont forget to do measure before you order. There are many different cameras out there that says to be applicable to the X204/GLK but are not. Mine didnt. It looked ok on the picture, but it turned out to be mounted 90 dg wrong on the plate, which made me do some cutting and and som extra sealant to make it perfect.

I have som extra tips regarding installation on my 2009 GLK.

1. The connection to the command unit went very easy. Took me about 5 minutes to install. Get a universal Fakra (blue) with approx 50 cm cable and a phono jack (female) at the end. This makes it easy to thread just to get it into the boot on the drivers side.

2. Remove the 4 screws on the boot cover and just let i fall down. The cable is easy visible. Connect a 4,5 - 5 m cable to this.

3. Remove the rubber sealant around the driver door and back left door. Now you can easily put the cable just inside the roof lining.

The rest is perfectly described in the above DIY.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM

MB GLK 220
Replacing defect aftermarket camera

Originally Posted by rminck
CARTRONICS: Point well taken! Following the procedures outlined in this thread, I believe the replacement should be limited to the area from the RCA connection at the drivers rear tailight access to the camera, minimizing the pain somewhat for DIY-ers.
I fitted a connection behind the panels in the trunk lid. If my camera defects, i can pull it out from the outside and approx. 20 cm of cable and connectors will follow. I can refit a new camera by just connecting it to the rca and power bit, and "smack" it back in place
Old 10-04-2015, 12:49 PM

glk 350 cdi
Hello everyone,
I try to install my reverse camera, but when dismantling of my command aps, the Fakra is already busy, and there is only one !!! no second free fakra port !! (see picture)
i don't want to take any chance to disconnect this one!
can anyone tell me for what he is busy?
thank you all and....sorry for my, "light english".

<br/>

Last edited by tazzz3.2; 10-04-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:52 PM

glk 350 cdi
i hope response from all of you.... there is a too long time that i'm trying to find a solution...tks a lot

Last edited by tazzz3.2; 10-04-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 AM

glk 350 cdi
Originally Posted by glkwalker
I'll check it today which is which.

Got another question. I took COMMAND out and the Green plug is already taken by something inserted into it! What should I do?

Thanks guys for help, I feel like I am very close to the finals
Hello glkwalker,
i'have the same problem,than you, only one fakra port, and already connected.
do you know where this plug is connected to?

thanks a lot
brgds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Backup camera Part1