GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Just FYI, JD Power Associates just released the new reliability rankings:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/12/auto...dependability/

Lexus is still king.

Mercedes is now number 2 in reliability.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 PM

GLK 280
Unhappy

Hi

I have a 2009 GLK 280 with 40000kms on it. My problems so far are:

1) Minor: Window goes up and then shifts down a few cms. Seen this before on ML so guess it's a common fault.

2) Veers strongly to right. Assume this isn't an issue that can't be fixed easily.

3) Major: When in park, or stopped at a traffic light or stop sign the engine sounds normal and then suddenly starts to rev up and then the rpm goes up and then drops and then revs up again. This happens a few times and once every five or so times the engine stalls. You can imagine the problem if stopped at a stop sign or to make a u-turn. I did the regular fuel line checks and tune ups and the problem still won't go away. Computer tests bring up nothing and it's driving me crazy!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MBNA109
Are you on a 4Matic? If so, I am surprised your tranny didn't blow up by now...
Yep 4matic. Tranny problems are not universal. Im taking a gamble as im out of warranty.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM

2010 glk
Bought my 10 on Feb 2013 with 56000km from Mercedes dealer.Work sheet that came with it said battery replaced,washer fluid tank replaced,cup holder peeling and replaced,complete brake job.I am sorry and a little worried about all the problems I am reading but I love my GLK and have put 10000km on it and no rattles or any other problems that have been mentioned.Canadian Black Book just picked it as the winner in small SUV category.I guess I am lucky so far but time will tell.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK350 4-Matic & 2003 E320
Got a 2013 CPO GLK350 this month (Feb 2014). Car had 15k miles on it and was driven off the lot in May 2013. Will report any issues on here.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
2013 GLK 350 4-Matic purchased new no Pano

1. Complained about engine noise. Dealer replaced the timing chain, the fuel pump and the head oil inlet under warranty. Reprogrammed engine and transmission. I replaced the oil and filter twice myself (Mobil 1 0-40) because I did not like this noise. Glad I did.

2. Rail dust in polar white paint. Dealer clay barred the car. MB had to re-wrap the car in 3M wrap. Car is always garaged and hand washed with MB car wash fluid.

Now the measles are back again.

Should we ask for a new car?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 PM

2018 GLC 300 4Matic, '69 Nova 350
GLk Brakes

Have dealer check the sensors. I had a 2010 C300 and the rear (driver's side) sensor failed leaving the brake pad engaged and created groove on rotor. Had to replace rear brake system completely. Warranty covered.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK 350 2010
2010 GLK (April 2010 Build) 89K Miles

- Dreaded COMMAND dial issue

- Moonroof visor/blind does not work when in a warm environment (looks like a switch of some kind is temp sensitive - works fine morning/night and cool weather)

- MPG down to about 19 MPG average

- 20 inch wheels and problematic tires

But overall, good, reliable driver. Oil, transmission, etc serviced regularly on schedule.

<Knocking on wood>
Old 05-02-2015, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by RicanDoc
Have dealer check the sensors. I had a 2010 C300 and the rear (driver's side) sensor failed leaving the brake pad engaged and created groove on rotor. Had to replace rear brake system completely. Warranty covered.
The MB rep looked at the bleeding car and would not replace the brakes.

Also, the rail dust adheres to the Ventureshield ( not 3M as in previous post.) That film does not respond well to IRONX, it remains colored. These films are MB approved, btw.

I called the dealer service principal and asked them what they are going do to fix the "measles" problem permanently. Bring the car in for a detail every 3 months on them?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:50 AM

GLK
2010 GLK 4-matic (but built in 2009)
Almost 67K miles

Only major issue was that my driver side actuator died. So the driver side door would not lock automatically. It would lock manually, but it was difficult. Cost me about $500 to replace. Interestingly, the GLK system never warned me when the door would not lock. The security system would still activate.

Other minor issues --
1. I replaced the rear left brake light bulb for the 3rd time last month.
2. I replaced the front right light bulb once, but it was around 30K miles if I remember correctly.
3. I had to get a wheel alignment around 40K.
4. Some squeals and creaking coming from front left shock / wheel well... I noticed it is most prominent in the winter when it is cold, but only infrequently in the summer.

Otherwise, I am still on my first set of brakes. First transmission without any problems.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Early 2010 here as well, just turned 6 years and have 54k miles.

Also, no problems.

I just had to replace front brake sensor (bought after market for $1.50). Also still on the original brakes with about 50% of pads left. Other that that everything works. Build quality is great - no rattles. Paint looks new (hand wash by me only).
Old 11-15-2016, 06:10 PM

2015 GLK350, 2021 Cadillac XT5
2010 GLK 350, just tripped over 65K miles. While I love the feel and ride of the GLK, its the little annoyances that will steer to me to another brand. Started with OEM tires that I barely got 30K miles from. Two sets of front brakes and now needs a third. Not bad by MB standards, I suppose. But seems like I should get more than 20K when I used to get 40K on my Grand Cherokee and it stopped as well as the GLK. Lift gate motor replaced as most everyone else noted. Cam shaft sensor replaced under warranty. Now the lifters are tapping rather loudly despite the fact that I have reduced the oil changes from the MB 10,000 mile intervals to around 7500 to prevent premature noises such as this.
No more MBs in my future, or at least not at this time. I'll wait to see the long term comments from others and more likely invest in a CPO before looking at another new MB, if I don't dump the brand altogether and go to comparable Audi or Porsche SUVs.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
^I agree on tires that barely last 30-35k miles.
But I'm not sure why your brakes go so quickly. I just replaced mine at 70k miles (original rotors and pads). My rotors were pretty bad.
Everything else works pretty well...knock on wood.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2015 GLK 250 BlueTec with AMG Sport package.
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
^I agree on tires that barely last 30-35k miles.
But I'm not sure why your brakes go so quickly. I just replaced mine at 70k miles (original rotors and pads). My rotors were pretty bad.
Everything else works pretty well...knock on wood.
Same here with tires - they are absolute garbage (Dunlops that is). Just did first B service on 2015 Bluetec (30,000 km). So far no concerning items except brakepads that are at about 55% already Although, with amount of brakedust on the front wheels I am not surprised. Car so far has been solid even with -35C -40C outside last year.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 AM

2015 GLK 350
2015 GLK350 with 50K....yep, 50K
Brakes, brakes, brakes
When I test drove the brakes seemed 'odd', soft, going close to the floor.
They replaced all four routers and all new brake pads at 38K
Now, I get the brake vibration when I apply them. Brakes should last longer than that.
Luckily, I got a CPO, remainder of warranty, 1 year extra for CPO, 2 extra years for sales promotion, plus I added 2 more years (paid for). All with unlimited miles through 2021. Plus, got the first two services free. The first scheduled maintenance was a big one, including spark plugs.
Aside from the brakes, I love it.

MSRP was 56.6K, got it for 32K, with 38K miles
Old 11-29-2016, 01:03 AM

2013 Mercedes GLK350
2013 GLK 350 with 50,000 kms: Random flashing engine light with misfire codes and a bank 1 mixture too rich at idle code. Car jumps into limp mode every time this happens. Some days it'll only do it once or even not at all. Other days it'll do it 5 times in a row. Anyone know if there are coil pack issues or injector issues on the 2013's with the new motor?

Park assist system inactive message also.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:14 PM

2015 GLK350, 2021 Cadillac XT5
GLK long term reliability

Originally Posted by SoCalFade
2010 GLK 350, just tripped over 65K miles. While I love the feel and ride of the GLK, its the little annoyances that will steer to me to another brand. Started with OEM tires that I barely got 30K miles from. Two sets of front brakes and now needs a third. Not bad by MB standards, I suppose. But seems like I should get more than 20K when I used to get 40K on my Grand Cherokee and it stopped as well as the GLK. Lift gate motor replaced as most everyone else noted. Cam shaft sensor replaced under warranty. Now the lifters are tapping rather loudly despite the fact that I have reduced the oil changes from the MB 10,000 mile intervals to around 7500 to prevent premature noises such as this.
No more MBs in my future, or at least not at this time. I'll wait to see the long term comments from others and more likely invest in a CPO before looking at another new MB, if I don't dump the brand altogether and go to comparable Audi or Porsche SUVs.
Update: (To begin, I was just over 62K at the last message, not over 65K. Sorry for the error).
I put four new Continentals on the SUV at the insistence of the service advisor at 45K. Now at 65K the two rear tires need replacement. Right rear is bald, left rear less than 2mm so they are definitely gone. MB saying too bad. They can't predict tread wear. Took it to an independent MB repair shop and they found the rear end far out of alignment and feel that caused the excessive wear. MB agreed when they thought I had not had the alignment checked since installation. When they discovered they did an alignment when the tires were installed and at 55K when my wife hit a curb, I requested an alignment, at my cost. So I brought that up at the dealer, who immediately bailed because the second alignment was not done at their shop. Actually, I've been in the service industry and I can see that. I tried to get the two service departments together along with Continental to see if all the errors created by MBs own service might add up to give me a break on replacements. But no dice. I heard more excuses than I can remember. I was only asking for some sort of pro-rated consideration, not a free replacement. I figured I'd gotten about half the service I should have so it didn't justify two free tires. I got nothing and ended up at a local shop where I switched out all four tires for some nice riding and less noisy Michelin all-seasons.

A few months ago, the front headlamp went out. Having a lot of pride in maintaining my vehicles, and realizing if one headlamp was out, the other was probably near, per my usual service protocol, I stopped and bought two new lamps from MB and drove home to install them. The short story was that replacement of the right side wasn't too bad, although I had to manage a couple of headstands and use my video snake to get it done. The left side was impossible, so I drove it to MB. It took two mechanics and the service writer a few hours on the service drive to replace it, which included the removal of the inner panel, and loosening of the entire lamp assembly for them to get the bulb in. The SA made a comment that it was usually a $75 job but they would waive the charges "this time" since it took so long. Wow!

Just this week, a side marker burned out, so I got two replacements and went home to change them. It was apparent within the first few minutes that getting the old lamp out was impossible without a special tool. I tried for a time using chain nose pliers with a 90 degree bend, but could not get it out.
So back to MB in humility I went. Service writer knew immediately and stated they could change it for $50. I demanded to watch so I could do the other myself. The tech had to remove the front tire, remove the inner fender mud guard, and use a pair of pliers that looked similar to mine but with a great deal more customization to finally get the lamp removed. After watching that, I knew I'd have to have the other done by them so the tech was nice and replaced the second one, but only wrote up one. I wish some of the techs could run the service advisor drive...lol.

I returned to the loud tapping of the engine. During a service, they believe its valves. Since I was forward thinking enough to purchase the extended warranty, the head job will be covered. They said about a week "or so", so I will need a rental. But apparently, unlike the original warranty, the extended warranty carries some exclusions on a courtesy vehicle and I would be required to rent one....for a warranty covered repair. And that is what pushed me over the edge. Since the extended warranty is transferable, I decided to let someone else have the pleasure of finding a ride while the heads are being repaired.

So combined with my previous experiences with a C230 which I also disposed of, I dumped the GLK. One of the things I believe MB has forgotten is that there are those of us who appreciate great engineering. And MB, for the most part personifies that. But they have also begun engineering on the assumption no one maintains even the simplest items on their autos in this day and age. Perhaps when LEDs take over, general maintenance items like changing headlamps and tail lamps will no longer be needed and the difficulty of replacements will make no difference to even the most ardent shadetree mechanic. I can't believe that its still a fairly reasonable job to change brakes, but I now wonder how long it will be before even that is engineered out of my hands. So not being able to perform even the most simplistic maintenance items in my own car has pushed me over the edge. All the pride of ownership I felt when the two MBs were new, has turned to disgust even though I know its likely that "overall", its a great vehicle.
I understand that the MB purchase price is actually quite competitive. I still believe the price I paid for my GLK and my C230 was more than reasonable. Its the ongoing, very expensive maintenance that is my issue with the vehicles. And I know that MB has an expensive service network to maintain and that the dealers depend on income from that service to add value to their own dealership. I also realize that higher end cars cater to the cash customers, not engineering stiffs like me who must finance at least a fair portion of the purchase price. So for me, the cost of ownership and the indifference of the service network outweighs any pride of ownership. I know everyone wants to believe the car they drive is the absolute best, but there are other premium autos out there that still believe maintaining a good service relationship requires more than providing Starbucks while you wait on your car. And its definitely much more than bringing a laundry list of upsell service at every oil change. And don't come at me with that crap about maintaining the "showroom" performance and appearance for the life of the car. The "checklist" shown at every service is nothing more than a pyramid scheme to produce service related revenue. Honestly, has anyone ever been told they need to replace their motor mounts because they were "out of spec" at 90,000 miles? Broken, perhaps...bent, maybe...full of ****, probably.

Sadly, the experience has made me an embarrassment on the car lots as I shop for a new SUV. BMW certainly leads the field with their free service agreement and low extended warranty cost. I opened the hoods and pulled a headlamp to see how difficult it was. Then I opened the rear hatch and pulled a tail lamp...lol. AFter locating the battery, checking to see the degree of difficulty of a brake job, as we climbed back into the SUV, the salesman asked if I needed to call the factory...lol. But then I asked to see their "checklist" of what was done during the annual service. Items such as relubing the rubber on doors and sunroofs along with other rubber was included in the service.
I did the same on a Grand Cheroke, on the Chevy lot and even on the Porsche lot with the Macan. I did not bother to check the new GLCs or GLEs because I love both and did not want to disappoint myself.

I don't know if I'm being a difficult customer or not. In the 45 years I've been able to buy new cars rather than used, I've owned only one car that had more than one warranty claim and I've had a dozen or so that never that never had a single claim. The GLK had multiple claims before the first oil change. Looking at all the recalls lately, perhaps its simply the way things are now. Electronics has created its own new set of warranty claims that have little to do with how well a vehicle is built. But the multiple claims on my GLK were all manufacturing issues, or design issues causing premature failures of overloaded or overstressed components.
Perhaps I simply chose two models, the 2007 C230 and 2010 GLK350, that are prone to problems. But I was going on what may have been a fantasy assumption that all MBs were designed and built to a higher standard. But the real item is that over the course of 9 years, I spent enough on maintenance of my two MBs to buy a Chevy or a Chrysler. Are those lesser cars? Perhaps, but go drive one. A new one drives and performs very comparable to the MBs I can afford. The warranty is better, the service is cheaper. Maybe after 100,000 miles the better quality of the MB would surpass the Chevy. But then again, I would have spent a tenth on service, so I could afford another new one before those little ride and performance issues crept up.

Sorry for the vent, folks. I guess since disposing of my GLK, I am no longer a Mercedes owner and sadly, am not likely to ever be again. So I have little right to post to this great forum. I will excuse myself at this point.
Gary
Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
I think everyone probably has similar stories for one brand or another, if you have been buying vehicles for many years. Mine is with VW/Audi. But generally it is the dealer and not the car. My MB dealer replaced both headlights for $20 including bulbs. I have 100,000 miles on my GLK and still get a free loaner for every service.
I owned 9 VW's from '64 to '98, and the last good dealer I had was back in 64 when a clutch job cost $60. It only took me 17 years to give up on Range Rover. But there the vehicles were worse than the dealer.
I am sure MB is sorry to lose you, but a dealer is more important than the cars in today's market of look a likes. For some reason most people like their Honda and Toyota dealers and that brings repeat sales.
Good luck with your new BMW, Volvo, what ever, but check out the dealer's service for sure.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by bop11
I think everyone probably has similar stories for one brand or another, if you have been buying vehicles for many years. Mine is with VW/Audi. But generally it is the dealer and not the car. My MB dealer replaced both headlights for $20 including bulbs. I have 100,000 miles on my GLK and still get a free loaner for every service.
I owned 9 VW's from '64 to '98, and the last good dealer I had was back in 64 when a clutch job cost $60. It only took me 17 years to give up on Range Rover. But there the vehicles were worse than the dealer.
I am sure MB is sorry to lose you, but a dealer is more important than the cars in today's market of look a likes. For some reason most people like their Honda and Toyota dealers and that brings repeat sales.
Good luck with your new BMW, Volvo, what ever, but check out the dealer's service for sure.
Agreed. Dealership is what sold me on MB. I just went to check out used GL at an Acura dealer...what a difference. Still good service but the operation just doesn't compare.

However, you pay for what you get. For fun of it I priced out jobs that I did/do myselt.
-Oil change $60 bux, (Service A is $250 at dealer)
-Spark plugs 50bux ($400 at dealer)
-Brakes $400 for pads and rotors at all 4 corners and this is for MB parts ($1600 at dealer)
-Filters $20 (70-100 at dealer)

GLK is such a simple car to work on.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
And btw, I'm at 72k miles and 7.5years with pretty much no problems to report.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:08 AM

2012 GLK350 4Matic
I have a couple issues. 2012 GLK350 4matic w/ 65,000 kms

1. Once in a while, the speedo outer-ring will flashes rapidly then goes back to normal. Feels like it's cold weather thing as we've been seeing -5 celcius in Canada here.

2. Wipers wipe once when I start the car. Again, maybe it's too cold recently?

3. The notorious Washer Fluid tank leak. I decided not to fix it and just kept the fluid below where the gormet is. I basically only have about 1.5L in the tank at all times to avoid leakage.

Anyone experincing similar issues?
Old 12-25-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GLK 350
Almost 80K km. The only warranty issue (unfortunately i dont have extended warranty) I have experienced is the HVAC motor. It makes a noticeable noise when blowing at high speed and need to be replaced.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
560SEC
2012 GLK 350, 56,000+ miles...
Last week the dealer replaced the cylinder head under warranty. I initially took it in for a check engine light and they changed the spark plugs and the #1 coil because of the codes showed a misfire on #1. Two weeks after getting the car back the check engine light was back on. Took it back to the dealer and it showed the same codes, including a low compression in the #1 cylinder, which they failed to mention the first time; therefore, they replaced the cylinder head. Apparently, this is a known problem with this engine. There is a problem with the valve seats or wear or some such thing. They were hard pressed to be specific, although they did say they shipped the head back to Mercedes-Benz for analysis. I doubt I'll ever hear anymore about it and hopefully it fixed the problem.

Has anyone else heard or experienced this issue?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by Benzgeist
2012 GLK 350, 56,000+ miles...
Last week the dealer replaced the cylinder head under warranty. I initially took it in for a check engine light and they changed the spark plugs and the #1 coil because of the codes showed a misfire on #1. Two weeks after getting the car back the check engine light was back on. Took it back to the dealer and it showed the same codes, including a low compression in the #1 cylinder, which they failed to mention the first time; therefore, they replaced the cylinder head. Apparently, this is a known problem with this engine. There is a problem with the valve seats or wear or some such thing. They were hard pressed to be specific, although they did say they shipped the head back to Mercedes-Benz for analysis. I doubt I'll ever hear anymore about it and hopefully it fixed the problem.

Has anyone else heard or experienced this issue?
No, I am not aware of this problem.

Do keep in mind that the GLK350 engine is a V-6 and has 2 cylinder heads. If they only changed one, what about the other one?
Old 01-14-2018, 04:32 PM

mercedes glk 350 2012
glk 350 remote key works at close range

my glk remote key works at close range, only when pointed to driver side door, need help to get it fixed

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: The Official GLK Problems with Aging Thread