GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

New Car Adjustments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
New Car Adjustments

Just got around to reading the owners manual.
Seems like every time we buy a new car, we always want to set it up the same way as our previous cars.
So here's some settings that we've changed:

1. Tail gate height. My wife is only 5' tall, so we've resetted the trunk liftgate max height 8" lower, so she can hit the auto close button.
2. Audio notification when locking/unlocking doors w/ remote. My wife wants to hear audio confirmation that the doors are locked/unlocked, one beep for open, two for close.
3. Easy entry/exit. steering wheel moves up to make getting in/out of car easier. However, unlike our BMW & Lincoln, the driver seat doesn't move back for more space.
4. Still need to program the garage openers. My salesman emailed a link for the latest model:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owners...007c184335RCRD
5. Tint front windows. Although the rear & back windows are nicely tinted, wife wants the front windows tinted also, to cut down on UV & reduces skin burning in the Texas sun. Went with 3M, 35%, max legal for fronts.
6. Since we didn't get the package w/ back up camera, we had dealer install the backup sensors, with just audio beeps, when in reverse. Had that thrown in as part of the negociated price. Supposely, around $575 value/freebee.

Now that's besides programing the Bluetooth, the radio & sat stations, & memory seats...

Anyone else have any other useful adjustments/programing tips?
Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
You should figure out whether you want to drive in "C" Comfort or "S" Sport. "C" starts out in 2nd and gives a smoother transition during acceleration.

Check the compass setting to make sure that it is on the correct zone.

Set your lights for automatic if you want them to come on automatically.

Same for wipers.

If you have Nav set a home destination not too close to where you live.

Assuming you have voice recognition you need to have it "Learn" your voice.

The list goes on but that's what come to mind right now.

Last edited by MKenM; 12-08-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM

2015 E400
Great suggs, MKenM.
Think we only have E or S mode. So how do you "choose" each mode?
Will check the compass setting.
Checked for the rest.

Haven't done the voice recognition yet....
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by MKenM
You should figure out whether you want to drive in "C" Comfort or "S" Sport. "C" starts out in 2nd and gives a smoother transition during acceleration.

Check the compass setting to make sure that it is on the correct zone.

Set your lights for automatic if you want them to come on automatically.

Same for wipers.

Assuming you have voice recognition you need to have it "Learn" your voice.

The list goes on but that's what come to mind right now.
Since y'all have a 2012 model, those settings changed to E for economy. The function is the same.

If you have iPhones, don't loose any sleep over Apple's inability to download contacts to your GLK. There are workarounds. One of the easiest seems to be syncing your iPhone with a Blackberry and then downloading from the Blackberry. Our Blackberrys worked perfectly when Patricia at Classic Motors was setting up our GLk.

Enjoy!

Wayne
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 227 Likes on 154 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
One word of caution. if you set your tailgate height to a custom height you cannot close it manually or else you will damage the gears of the motor. I tried it on a GLK on the dealership with a sales person as he too don't know if it can done so we tried and heard a loud snapping sound on the motor and the gate started to go down like something is broken inside. We just looked at each other and said oops....LOL!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
If she can't reach the button to close the rear hatch there is always the key fob or the switch on the dash.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If she can't reach the button to close the rear hatch there is always the key fob or the switch on the dash.
that is how my wife is using it

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Adjusting the height is acceptable. Using the right button labeled LOCK closes the tailgate and locks the GLK. The oher tailgate switch is on the driver's door below the armrest & ahead of the storage area.
The instrument/dash lighting dimmer switch is a tiny twist knob left of the steering column. The sunvisors slide back on their rod when turned to shade the door windows.
Do you have the auto wipers?
More as I think of and find stuff myself. Still learning.

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
One word of caution. if you set your tailgate height to a custom height you cannot close it manually or else you will damage the gears of the motor. I tried it on a GLK on the dealership with a sales person as he too don't know if it can done so we tried and heard a loud snapping sound on the motor and the gate started to go down like something is broken inside. We just looked at each other and said oops....LOL!
I am curious. With 2, large, lighted, RED buttons on the tailgate, another on the driver's door and a fourth on the smart key, why would you try to close the tailgate manually?

Does anyone know why the trunk lid button on my smart key doesn't do anything? Did I not train it correctly?

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM

2015 E400
That's good to know. Thanks,
Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Huh? Any particular reason? Actually, in our case, I could have set the home location several miles from the house where we leave the Farm Road and turn on to private roads. I had never given this any thought with 3 vehicle navigation units. Home is at home. Why would I not set my home location at home?

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Originally Posted by venchka
Huh? Any particular reason? Actually, in our case, I could have set the home location several miles from the house where we leave the Farm Road and turn on to private roads. I had never given this any thought with 3 vehicle navigation units. Home is at home. Why would I not set my home location at home?

Wayne
Security reasons.
Car stolen.
Thieves get to your house.
All hell breaks loose.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car stolen.
Car tracked.
Car intercepted.
Gated community.
Security alerted.
Access denied 3 miles from my home.
Vehicle detained.
Rural Texas.
I knew there was a reason why I wasn't paranoid.

Y'all have a great day!

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Does anyone know why the trunk lid button on my smart key doesn't do anything? Did I not train it correctly?

Wayne
Mystery solved.

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Car stolen.
Car tracked.
Car intercepted.
Gated community.
Security alerted.
Vehicle detained.
Rural Texas.

Y'all have a great day!

Wayne
Home address is on the registration and insurance card in the vehicle. If the bad guys are dumb enough to come and visit, changing the Home location in the nav. system won't stop them. Multiple armed folks will be waiting for them.

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 12:34 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Car stolen.
Car tracked.
Car intercepted.
Gated community.
Security alerted.
Vehicle detained.
Rural Texas.

Y'all have a great day!

Wayne
Now you know that not every1 has the fortress & countermeasures you have! haha.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just kidding mostly. However, every vehicle in Texas is SUPPOSED to have the registration & insurance information in the vehicle. This information includes the address of the owner. So, it doesn't really make a lot of difference if the nav. system also has that information programmed in. Besides, in a M-B, the average person couldn't operate the nav. system without extensive training. Grinning!

I appreciate the concern and the heads up. I even went so far as to discuss it with Lisa since she will be the primary driver of the GLK. As soon as she brought up the insurance card, it really didn't matter how the nav. system was programmed. The Turbo Race Wagon has been programmed the same way since new in 2003. We haven't had a theft yet. Knock on burl walnut.

Wayne
Old 12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am curious. With 2, large, lighted, RED buttons on the tailgate, another on the driver's door and a fourth on the smart key, why would you try to close the tailgate manually?

Wayne
You want to close it manually when you have filled the back to the point the things you have on the back might hit the hatch door or you are really in a hurry and doesn't want to wait for it to close.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wayne

If after pushing the tailgate button on the remote and no "red light" blinks on the remote unit, your remote unit is defective and have the dealer replace it. This happened on one of my keys and no reprogramming solved it even changing the batteries didn't fix it.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm just kidding mostly. However, every vehicle in Texas is SUPPOSED to have the registration & insurance information in the vehicle. This information includes the address of the owner. So, it doesn't really make a lot of difference if the nav. system also has that information programmed in. Besides, in a M-B, the average person couldn't operate the nav. system without extensive training. Grinning!

I appreciate the concern and the heads up. I even went so far as to discuss it with Lisa since she will be the primary driver of the GLK. As soon as she brought up the insurance card, it really didn't matter how the nav. system was programmed. The Turbo Race Wagon has been programmed the same way since new in 2003. We haven't had a theft yet. Knock on burl walnut.

Wayne
does the cops in the US accepts photo copied car registration? In Canada the police does and I was also told by a police never leave your registration card on your car becuase of identity theft. So the solution was to keep a copy of your car registration papers on your wallet or bag (again I do not know how many sheets of car registration you guys have). My previous car was stolen before and they did took the car registration with them and I ended up replacing all of my exterior door locks and have my dog camp outside for 4 months just in case.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM

06 Pontiac Vibe, 01 Dodge Ram, 01 Honda CBR600
This is a common... You didn't damage anything.

What you heard was the clutch on the tail gate drive unit. It's designed that way as a fail safe since there's no guarantee you're always going to have power to close it. The noise does sound horrific, however, I can assure you that you didn't do any damage
Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

If after pushing the tailgate button on the remote and no "red light" blinks on the remote unit, your remote unit is defective and have the dealer replace it. This happened on one of my keys and no reprogramming solved it even changing the batteries didn't fix it.
I haven't seen a red light.
As I said, mystery solved. Press and hold the trunk (tailgate) button until the tailgate moves. Works for either position. Closed or open.
Something I discovered last week...
If the tailgate is open and you press one of the buttons to close it and then place anything under the tailgate, it goes back up. In my case it was me. I ducked under the tailgate to get something and the hatch returned to the up position. Nice.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 12-10-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by B16RacerN2NR
This is a common... You didn't damage anything.

What you heard was the clutch on the tail gate drive unit. It's designed that way as a fail safe since there's no guarantee you're always going to have power to close it. The noise does sound horrific, however, I can assure you that you didn't do any damage
Really hope that is correct. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2011/12 GLK for the wife and that was a concern after I read this. Many times at a car wash, the attendant had no clue my ML had a power tailgate, and manually closed it.

Wonder if a dealer would let me test this?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

You could ask the dealer if manual closing is a problem. Let them demonstrate for you.
We had an occasion to use a valet parking service recently. The drivers knew as much about the GLK as I did. They used the right switches to open and close everything. Your wife will LOVE the GLK.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 12-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 PM

06 Pontiac Vibe, 01 Dodge Ram, 01 Honda CBR600
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Really hope that is correct. Very close to pulling the trigger on a 2011/12 GLK for the wife and that was a concern after I read this. Many times at a car wash, the attendant had no clue my ML had a power tailgate, and manually closed it.

Wonder if a dealer would let me test this?
I see you're in Illinois, who is your closest dealer? I'm a tech at D-Patrick and I can have one of the sales guys show you with no problem if you're close enough

Last time I was in Chicago for training, one of the instructors was saying how MB was getting a lot of complaints about this noise, since people heard this god awful noise and assumed something was broken, that they were going to change the drive unit. I haven't tested it out yet ( I actually just bought a 2012 X204 yesterday for my wifey for Christmas ) on the newer ones but I can GUARANTEE you 100% that the noise was not caused by something broken but it was caused by the clutch in the drive unit allowing for manual movement.

Last edited by B16RacerN2NR; 12-10-2011 at 09:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Car Adjustments