GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

3M Problems on GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
3M Problems on GLK?

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with 3M protection films on their GLK's? I have had my GLK for 2 weeks now and the 3M was already bubbling and lifting. Took it back to the dealer, who is replacing it free of charge (very nice about it too!), however they tell me because of the GLK's bold curves on the front, can be difficult to set properly...Comments??
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
There are huge threads on this topic here and on other forum sites.... 3M protected films suck. I have said it before, we must remove dozens of them a year... they're a total waste of money, just like aftermarket window tinting can be...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
There are huge threads on this topic here and on other forum sites.... 3M protected films suck. I have said it before, we must remove dozens of them a year... they're a total waste of money, just like aftermarket window tinting can be...
I do not disagree, but here in Canada they are a necessary evil with all the rocks put down in the winter time. I have had cars with and without 3M, trust me, even after 1 winter, it makes a difference!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
3M & other protection film such as XPel have gone maintenance free for many cars in my family & colleagues & friends.

I have a number of BMW friends who put me on to this back in early 2000's - who have gone years with no issues.

I have owned 3 cars with 3M or XPel on them & have never had any issues. My GLK is my 4th car with plastic paint protection & am using LLUMAR on it & so far there is some bubbling around the bumper creases but the installer didn't have a template from LLUMAR, so I let him make one for a discount & he did provide a lifetime warranty. I will let him reinstall once the winter is over & the weather is warmer.

Most of the time, it is the installer & installation - not the product - if something should lift or peel. Plus all isntallation should be done in warm weather for proper adhesion & easier install.

Don't believe all the half truths out there. The testimonials from this owner is that it provides great pain protection & will give you a lifetime worth of value.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Say what you will... but my shop has plenty of wealthy clients that realized these films do have a limited purpose and lifespan, and when it comes time to take it off, we end up having to repaint the bumper or hood, or the entire front end anyways to get rid of the stuff and the discoloration it can do, especially the cheaper brands that refuse to come off easily. So, in the long run, my clients have come to reason that it's better to leave that junk off the car and have the panels tint-matched and painted perfectly if there is any road chips or damage.

Last edited by MBRedux; 01-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
If your client's wealthy intellect is any example, then apparently wealth has nothing to do with brains & they don't know any better entering & leaving.

I have plenty of "wealthy" friends who know squat about paint protection or for that matter anything mechanical & will believe what any1 else tells them.

That being said, if you are repainting a car - I would suspect, it is the un-protected part that is discolored not the protected part esp. when installed correctly & has been doing its job.

I'm an owner 4 times now with real life product experiences & wealth has nothing to do with product experience IMO.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNA109
I would suspect, it is the un-protected part that is discolored not the protected part esp. when installed correctly & has been doing its job.
Correct... and thus the problem... especially on red, white and some metallic colors. The reason I mentioned their wealth is mainly because to most having a clear bra/protection was a necessity because of the high dollar vehicles they own and race, and money was never a concern... until the film needed to be replaced every 3-6 months due to a myriad of reasons. It wasn't the cost but more the repetitive hassle & inconvenience... so most of them now just leave it off.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
I have Ventureshield on mine. No issues so far but I've only had it a year. Of course you should make sure the installer did/does a good job. Mine did OK. There were still a few spots that didn't go on perfectly smooth and if you get your head just right (about a 3 ft away) you can see them. Not terrible as you won't notice it unless you know exactly where to look.

The other thing is make sure they don't cut the film on your car. My guy said he wouldn't but ended up having to trim a bit. Well, he left a few nicks that I had to touch up. So as MBNA109 said, the installer makes all the difference.

Around here it's either film or hood bug deflector. Or your hood looks like the surface of the moon.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM

2012 GLK 350--AMG Package 20" Chromed Wheels, Loaded
I have a question as I am curious about this. I've had a "clear coat protector" (no idea what) put on my last 4 E-Classes and never had any problem with it coming off--In fact it was undectable by eyesite on any of the cars. I thought it was just a clear coating that was sprayed on to the car--duh--however, I'm not sure this is what you folks are talking about here. I just got my new 2012 GLK in Nov but didnt' have the coating put on at the dealer--mostly out of lack of time due to the holidays and being out of town. I am considering doing it in the next few months but may not if in fact this is what you are discussing in this thread. Any clarification would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by go1ndr
I have a question as I am curious about this. I've had a "clear coat protector" (no idea what) put on my last 4 E-Classes and never had any problem with it coming off--In fact it was undectable by eyesite on any of the cars. I thought it was just a clear coating that was sprayed on to the car--duh--however, I'm not sure this is what you folks are talking about here. I just got my new 2012 GLK in Nov but didnt' have the coating put on at the dealer--mostly out of lack of time due to the holidays and being out of town. I am considering doing it in the next few months but may not if in fact this is what you are discussing in this thread. Any clarification would really be appreciated. Thanks!
A white GLK in S California! I would simply leave it off. There's no reason for it in that part of the country. My local Porsche dealer has a brand new white Spyder with a clear bra... turned color (don't let anyone tell you that they don't) and now they cannot sell it.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I have had either 3M or Venture Shield placed on everyone of our last 12 vehicles. It has never "peeled or bubbled". These products are totally dependent on the quality of the installer. Most dealerships use the lowest priced bid and hence you get what you pay for. Our GLK had Venture Shield on the front end for the 2 1/2 years we owned it and it fit perfectly without any issues. Further, it removed easily just by using a heat gun; (I did it myself prior to trading it), and there was no discolouration of the paint and there is no way you'll remove the OEM factory paint unless the person removing the film is a complete moron. Protecting your investment with a quality film installed by a professional, not some dealer contracted cowboy, is one of the best decisions you can make. YMMV.
Bish
Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
A white GLK in S California! I would simply leave it off. There's no reason for it in that part of the country. My local Porsche dealer has a brand new white Spyder with a clear bra... turned color (don't let anyone tell you that they don't) and now they cannot sell it.
Gotta agree with MBRedux on this one. You're in SoCal. Why bother? Paint chips are not really an issue there since it'll take forever to rust. Here in the snow belt it's more of an issue as the salt just eats any exposed metal.

I have relatives in California that have cars with like millions of paint chips on their hood. Other than looking a bit funny no real rust to speak of.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 PM

I have to fully agree, before I got my GLK this past December, I had a white 2009 VW GTI with 3M clear bra on it. 3M on light cars is EXTREMELY difficult to prevent discoloration. I live in Canada where there is snow, salt and grime in the winter, yet despite waxing it and cleaning it continuously for 2 winters, the film still discolored a light yellow tinge in certain lights....

The GLK is a dark grey so this will not be the same problem. I took the GLK back to the dealer today and they re-did the film, excellent job and all looks perfect now. The tech told me that when they install the 3M with soap and water, they use an isopropyl alcohol mix to remove the water, however sometimes soap gets trapped (especially with all the GLK's curves) and can cause bubbling/lifting etc....so yes, installation is the key step. Thanks for all the responses, good stuff!!

***NOTE: NEVER WAX 3M WITH ANY PRODUCT CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES - WILL CAUSE STAINING!

Last edited by jonnyrt; 01-05-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Say what you will... but my shop has plenty of wealthy clients that realized these films do have a limited purpose and lifespan, and when it comes time to take it off, we end up having to repaint the bumper or hood, or the entire front end anyways to get rid of the stuff and the discoloration it can do, especially the cheaper brands that refuse to come off easily. So, in the long run, my clients have come to reason that it's better to leave that junk off the car and have the panels tint-matched and painted perfectly if there is any road chips or damage.
I guess thats why when you go to car shows every single exotic has film on them. Not to mention a lot of other cars as well... so you must be in an area that has some huge rocks on the road. Around here... and every where else I have lived... film holds up very well to rocks and does not damage the paint when removed. In fact I have personally removed numerous kits (to replace them) with some of them being on there for 7-8 years. The paint underneath was still PERFECT. But you work at a body shop.... so I cane see how paint protection film is cutting into your busienss. Especially with the crappy paints that are out these days. Go into any forum and all you hear about is rock chips.... and the only practical way to prevent them is a clear bra.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Correct... and thus the problem... especially on red, white and some metallic colors. The reason I mentioned their wealth is mainly because to most having a clear bra/protection was a necessity because of the high dollar vehicles they own and race, and money was never a concern... until the film needed to be replaced every 3-6 months due to a myriad of reasons. It wasn't the cost but more the repetitive hassle & inconvenience... so most of them now just leave it off.
Replaced every 3-6 months. What were they cleaning their cars with? SCouring pads? Anyway any film issues under 5 years no matter what brand is replaced for free. So not sure why it would cost them any money... something doesnt add up.

"A white GLK in S California! I would simply leave it off. There's no reason for it in that part of the country. My local Porsche dealer has a brand new white Spyder with a clear bra... turned color (don't let anyone tell you that they don't) and now they cannot sell it."

There are numerous films out there... some will yellow some wont. The new Avery Nano Fusion wont... and so far the Xpel Ultimate film wont either. Ventureshield has been a big film of mine for the last 8 years (I installed out there for 5 years before moving back to Texas... and there are rocks out there too) and I have never haad any warranty issues due to yellowing. Most yellowing these days is from using petroleum based products on the film. No as far as not being able to sell the Porsch, hmm, why dont they simply peel the film off? Sorry but you have made some pretty outlandish comments here... and that one takes the cake.

Last edited by pro-tect mobile; 01-07-2012 at 11:37 PM.