2010 GLK interior creaking/rattling noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350
2010 GLK interior creaking/rattling noise

Hi there,
I am really annoyed by creaking rattling noise from multiple places. I bought a pre-owned GLK (only 21000K on it) and it was perfect until two weeks ago. Still plenty of warranty left.

1. Every morning when it's below 20 C outside there is rattling noise from the cargo area. It happened once before (it happened all the time regardless temperature) and dealer took care of it but the noise came back a week later. When i brought it back to dealer, surprisingly the noise was gone. What might affect this rattling noise?

2. Rattling noise from windows or doors when I ride over bump or my car flexes. When it's raining the noise is gone. No idea what to do with this! any thoughts?

3. Plastic creaking noise form dash. Not a serious problem but there is annoying plastic creaking noise but it's really hard to pinpoint since there are so many! LOL

I've never driven SUV before so I have no idea what noise level is acceptable. is this rattling and creaking noise considered normal?

I am pretty disappointed about interior noise but I am really satisfied with the way it drives and looks!

Please tell me what I should do!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 AM

MB GLK350, Audi A4
I may be out to lunch on these, but here's my opinion

1) wonder if the spare tire or any of the other items under the cargo deck are moving around? What does the noise sound like? did you ask the dealer what they did to fix the noise the 1st time?

2) rattling?? is there something loose inside the door? or if its the rubbing of the door seals, some people have wiped them down with armour all or something lubricating like liquid silicone ( i dont like that idea, but heard that it works)

3) my glk dash doesnt squeak but my past vehicles have. What i did was tightened up all of the screw underneath and then as i drove over bumps, i would press/push on various parts of the dash of where i thought the sound was coming. If the sound went away, then i knew where the problem existed. I then put thin rubber washers in the gaps near the noise and the rubber washers tightened up the looseness noises. (used this method on my Honda Prelude). The squeaky dash makes me wonder if your vehicle was ever in some sort of front end accident, or driven over really bumpy roads that loosened up everything.

BTW... where did you buy the glk from and how much did you pay?

Last edited by paulglk; 08-10-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM

2010 GLK 350
1) I haven't checked the spare tire or anything under the cargo but it doesn't seem like the noise is from underneath but it's worth to make sure! I was supposed to take my car in today but the rattling noise was almost gone. I don't think mechanic can pinpoint anyway so I decided not to go today. It's so weird because it's worse early in the morning when it's pretty cool outside and it's gone once the sun hits and temperature is higher than 20! LOL

It sounds like a small piece of plastic is consistently hitting a metal or another plastic piece.. Dealer removed a reflector on the cargo door (near left handle) which caused the noise earlier and another rattling noise now. ugh. the most frustrating thing is it's only happening early in the morning when I go to work and it's gone later!

2) I needed to give you a better description of the noise earlier. yes, it sounds like rubbing of the door seals. of course this noise was going when I brought my car in (it was raining) and dealer couldn't even find problems.! Yeah, I've head that silicon spray works but i just don't want to do that by myself! LOL

3) It's not happening all the time but sometimes there is some creaking noise while my car flexes. it's more likely "tic" noise once in awhile. I heard there was a minor front end accident so previous owner replaced the front bumper and headlight. Do you think it could cause this creaking noise?

I bought it from Mercedes dealer in Regina. Overall I am happy with everything but noises I mentioned above. some of my friends keep saying nothing is perfect and every car makes creaking noise. What's the acceptable noise level?

Thank you so much!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 ML350 Bluetec
Talcum powder works well to quiet door seals. Put some on a cloth and rub it into the seals, then vacuum up any dust. Avoid oils. Silicone (with an "e"; silicon is a rock) spray works too if the carrier/solvent evaporates fully, but it can go everywhere.

pg
Old 08-11-2012, 01:14 AM

GLK350, AudiTT 3.2, S-Class
I have all the noise you described above, for the cargo area rattling, my solution is try to take off the cargo cover and reattach it firmly, and make sure to have the cargo cover closed at all times, this seems to have solved the noise from the cargo area, as the dash, cracking noise, I seem to just hit on the area when they make noise, this seem to kill the noise for a while at least. I myself is also very conscious about any noises within the cockpit!!! =(
Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 PM

2010 GLK 350
Thanks for your response! I took off the cargo cover and reattached it firmly but there is still rattling noise every morning when is pretty cool (under 20). I kind of give up now and I am thinking to suck it up but i will bring it in when it's cooler outside so mechanic can hear more clearly.
Thanks a lot!