GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Motion sickness in GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK350 4Matic, 2011 BMW 535i, 2012 Nissan Frontier CC SV
Motion sickness in GLK?

A couple of weeks ago, I got motion sickness when I was in the passenger seat of my wife's GLK350 for only 10 minutes. She was the driver. Today, it happened again. Does anyone have similar experience? I'm fine if I am the driver. But if my wife drives it, I get car sick. I never got car sick in her previous vehicle, a Toyota Highlander.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Maybe mount a Ground strap to drag the pavement. Or perhaps your wife needs to get into Rally series!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by iwinit
A couple of weeks ago, I got motion sickness when I was in the passenger seat of my wife's GLK350 for only 10 minutes. She was the driver. Today, it happened again. Does anyone have similar experience? I'm fine if I am the driver. But if my wife drives it, I get car sick. I never got car sick in her previous vehicle, a Toyota Highlander.
That's why when I travel with my wife. I do all the driving.

To answer your question, NO i don't have similar experience.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Originally Posted by iwinit
You forgot to push the gyroscopic stabilization button. I'm pretty sure that's standard on the GLK. It's on the console, just to the left of the flux compacitor bypass button. I'd never ride without that enabled.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slk
Did you try asking her nicely to let you drive
I know it's a lot of fun to drive a GLK
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
The GLK is very sensitive to driver inputs.
When my wife drives ours, there is a lot of drama & herky jerkiness.
I have to repeatedly tell her to plan well in advance & be smooth cause any last second decision is very unforgiving.

The Japanese have taken human interaction out of the driving experience - autopilot if you will - & that's why you had forgotten what it's like to be a driver once again.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ashwats
Did you try asking her nicely to let you drive
I know it's a lot of fun to drive a GLK
She actually always wants me to drive. But I don't want to drive her vehicle. My own vehicle is always kept clean and neat. All the settings are perfectly configured to my need. Her vehicle is quite the opposite, always messy. And she never changes anything from the default factory settings. She doesn't even know how to change radio stations. A few days ago, I saw she was using her old portal TomTom NAV instead of the integrated NAV. I was totally speechless.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MBNA109
The GLK is very sensitive to driver inputs.
When my wife drives ours, there is a lot of drama & herky jerkiness.
I have to repeatedly tell her to plan well in advance & be smooth cause any last second decision is very unforgiving.

The Japanese have taken human interaction out of the driving experience - autopilot if you will - & that's why you had forgotten what it's like to be a driver once again.
I agree. The GLK is much more sporty. But I did beg my wife to drive smoothly.

I just adjusted the passenger seat to its lowest position. Hopefully it will help a little.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:40 PM

2013 E350
From wikipedia:

A specific form of motion sickness, car sickness is quite common and often evidenced by the inability to read a map or book during travel. Car sickness results from the sensory conflict arising in the brain from differing sensory inputs. The eyes mostly see the interior of the car which is motionless while the vestibular system of the inner ear senses motion as the vehicle goes around corners or over hills and even small bumps. Therefore the effect is worst when looking down but may be lessened by looking outside of the vehicle.

Motion sickness is caused (IMHO) when the eyes see one thing and the body feels something else.

Hope this helps.

JK
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
How come I can read in a bus, train or airplane but not in a car or on a boat? Seeing you're from Jersey, on a boat, fishing the canyon is pretty tough. Especially on a hot day with waves and a few brews. Everyone is chum-in