GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Driving in Great Britain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 GLC300, 2014 BMW M235i
Driving in Great Britain

My wife and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Great Britain next year. We haven't yet decided whether to rely on public ground transportation or perhaps drive ourselves around. Do any of you have any experience driving in Great Britain (and Scotland) and if so, did you have any trouble adapting to driving on the left, and from the right seat? Kind of warps my mind thinking about it, but who knows.

3.5L
Old 11-03-2012, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 BMW M3, '11 GLK350 AMG (RWD)
Its not that hard of a jump in mindset, especially in your situation where you have two people in the car. At first you'll be so focused on not screwing up that you won't. Its after you gain a little confidence, i.e. a few days into it, that you will forgot and try and turn the wrong way, but your wife will probably start yelling at you about it before you get too far into it. .

I spent a week driving around Scotland (and Ireland on a separate trip) by myself. I would advise that whichever big city you fly into that you not have a car, i.e. save the car for when you head out into the country.

Also, try to avoid picking-up, dropping of the car during rush hour as the larger roundabouts can be a little intimidating when traffic is heavy (made that mistake in Glasgow).