Clear bras are rip off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Clear bras are rip off

So this topic has come up many times. I was considering to get clear bra, but didn't as I could not stand the line over the hood and 1k price tag. I do have headlight cover tho.

Well somebody hit my front bumper, so I went to repaint it, and it cost me 500 bux to repaint the whole thing (dealer quoted 1k). So for the price of one clear bra, I can repaint the bumper twice. It was done by a shop that does work for MB and BMW dealer. If anybody needs a great body shop in NJ, go to H&R on route 4. The guy used to do all work for Benzel Busch.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
That's sort of how I'm looking at it. I just put this aftermarket front bumper which is made of fiberglass (and thus stiff). The first time someone bumps into me while parallel parking will likely require me to repair the bumper. For this reason I'm foregoing the clearbra and just going naked. I figure that I'll need to refinish/ repaint the bumper anyways.

But if you don't like that line, just have them put the film on the whole hood.

I wouldn't say clear bra is a ripoff though. If I had a stock bumper that I wouldn't worry about repainting I'd just put it on. We don't have any paint protection on our 10+ year old cars and the front's never been repainted and there are a ton of chips. Wish the product were around back then. The other thing is if you had to do bumper repair because of someone else, someone's insurance should be paying for another clearbra anyways which makes the ripoff idea a moot point.

I do, however, find headlamps clearbras to be pointless. I've never been in a situation where the housing would crack or be under duress from a rock. And these plastic lenses very seldom chip to the point that it's really noticeable.

Anyways different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I got the headlight covers for a different reason. After 1 year of driving I started seeing many small chips on them. The headlight are plastic and don't hold up as well as the paint. Since covers are softer there are no chips on them. I can always get new covers if the start wearing out, they are only 70 bux for a pair and I can put them one myself.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Jeep SRT-8
Well first off you dont have to get a half hood done. The entire panel can be wrapped easily so there are no lines. Second anytime you repaint a car it will loose value. It will be reported and the next owner will assume you were in an accident. Factory paint will also drive a higher resale value, period. Also having a clear bra pervents you from driving around for however long you have chips (they will happen) and then you dont have to worry about being without your vehicle while the body shop is respraying... and hopefully its not a difficult color to match. With all that being said do what you want... its your vehicle. But to say they are a rip off is a little ridiculous. Tens of thousands of other people would disagree with you.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Titleist
I think it's worth it. Select the self-healing material and get top notch, pro install, and you will hardly notice a line. And a line that is supposed to be there is far better than chips that AREN'T supposed to be there. For extra cost, you can get the entire hood or even the entire car wrapped.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Hey, if you guys want to wrap your nice factory paint with dull plastic to save it for next owner, go ahead. I was just providing the cost and feedback on quality, as some on this forum stated that repainting will costs a fortune and that paint won't match. Both statements are not true.

As far as the line and application of clear bras, I've seen it on many cars and considered getting it myself, and glad I didn't. For me, with little driving, it's just not worth it. It can look very nice initially, but I can see clear bra on every car right away, esp when car gets dirty. Shine is also off due to plastic. But I can't see any chips on my car unless I'm detailing it. The worst thing is not chips, it's the car wash that's not done properly.

Clear bras might make sense if you are putting a lot of miles on highways and accumulating large amount of chips quickly, especially if car is low to the ground.

Lastly, repainting being reported and somebody assuming it's because of accident is BS. Look at carfax, repairs are rarely reported even when there is an accident on the carfax. I'm 100% sure the shop I did it at doesn't bother with reporting a small paint job or perhaps are repairs that they do.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just providing other perspectives and it's good hearing from your perspective as well.

About seeing other cars with clear bra immediately is not true. It solely depends on the quality of the install. You've got the precut junk that a lot of dealers have and those don't go over the edges or hide inconspicuously and you've got the more expensive full wraps that hardly have any seems visible. I've seen countless full panel wraps and I really can't tell it has the wrap unless if I'm looking for it (which is how I discover the car is wrapped).

From my experience with many shops, most of the time repaints are not perfect. It's so hard for body shops to get a factory finish with near zero issues.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Titleist
Dull Where?

Attachment 247278

I had clear bra applied to the front fenders, bumper, hood (no line), rocker panels, mirrors the day I purchased the car. This photo was taken after 3.5 years of ownership.

It's easy to rationalize not making the investment due to cost, but the dullness, fading, peeling and cracking come with inferior materials or sub-standard application. I've had this car 7 years now, and none of that.

Last edited by golfster; 10-12-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM

(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
Here's how you know something is a scam.

When you negotiate your price with the salesman, and then he says; "ok, I'll just get you to my business manager, and you guys can finalize the deal", and then they put you in this room, and some douche with a bad suit on tries to hard sell you on a BUNCH of dumb crap, and the "paint protection" is one of them. It's a HUUUUUGE profit center for these places, 60% + margin.

Don't buy into it.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
Clear bra isn't going to stop a hard hit esp. a fender bender much less a small meteorite.

However, for all of us that follow trucks with the abrasive dirt flying off at your front hood, we all know the worth of a good plastic & install.
& dull bra's are usually bad material or you are lazy & don't wax it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 AM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Originally Posted by theunderlord
Here's how you know something is a scam.

When you negotiate your price with the salesman, and then he says; "ok, I'll just get you to my business manager, and you guys can finalize the deal", and then they put you in this room, and some douche with a bad suit on tries to hard sell you on a BUNCH of dumb crap, and the "paint protection" is one of them. It's a HUUUUUGE profit center for these places, 60% + margin.

Don't buy into it.
If it was a scam it wouldnt still be on the market after 20 years. Practically every high end car these days will have it... go to a car show and look around. People get them for a reason, they work. Also factor in all the new environmental regulations... you now have water based paint which is much softer than the paint used 10 years ago. If you drive any at all its a good investment. It also prevents oxidation from occuring on headlights. I do partially agree with one thing though, your better off geting it done through a reputable shop than the dealership... most dealerships contract it out and add a substantial markup.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLK DTM
When it comes to paint protection film, the quality of product and installer makes a world of a difference. However, it is not a product for everyone as we all live in a diverse world, so comes with perspective and opinions. Below are some photos of paint protection film application performed by us to give a different perspective:

Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Premier Protective Films, really that's the only way it should be done, especially on higher end cars. I cringed when I saw an SLS AMG at a local car show a few months back and it has a precut paint protection film. I found it unlikely that they'd make a precut film for such a high end car but there it was.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
They make precut kits for practically every car. But just as films and installers go all kits are not the same. There are ktis out there that have wrapped edges and minimal seem lines... so you basically get the same finished result without cutting on the car. Premier is only one of a handful of installers around the coutnry that can custom install without cutting the paint up.